Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

efigaro18

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am not only new to this forum, but I am new to home brewing as well! I have brewed a couple starter kits from Northern Brewer, but have decided to try my hand at making my own recipe to make the beer I want. I have come up with a recipe through looking at the style guidelines, forums, and other recipes I have found on the web, however I am brewing only a 1 gallon batch and am unsure of the ratios to use... I also have some pretty beginner questions I would love feedback on...

The recipe is as follows for my Belgian Tripel:

2lbs Briess Pilsen Light LME (84%)
8 oz clear candi sugar (16%)

0.25 Czech Saaz @ beginning of boil
0.28 oz Magnum @ last 10 minutes

Yeast: 1/2 pkg WLP530

According to BrewFather (the app I used to develop this recipe), my OG, FG, SRM, IBU, and ABV are all within style guidelines, however I do have some questions. For my recipe I do not currently have any steeping grains included in the grain bill- even though my SRM is within range, is it necessary to add this? Additionally, this is my first time using liquid yeast, so I want to make my first starter. Would someone be able to help me ratio wise with this? Also, is yeast nutrient necessary to add to a starter? Should I pitch more than 1/2 pack of yeast into the start for my 1 gallon batch?

I would also appreciate any and all feedback on my recipe itself, if you think I should adjust any amounts of anything!

Thank you everyone! Cheers!

Last edited:

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
0.25 Czech Saaz @ beginning of boil
0.28 oz Magnum @ last 10 minutes

You'd be better off switching these varieties. Magnum is pretty much a bittering hop without much in the way of desirable aromatics. But watch the computed IBUs....Magnum is a high alpha acid hop,

For my recipe I do not currently have any steeping grains included in the grain bill- even though my SRM is within range, is it necessary to add this?

A Triple doesn't necessarily need any malts other than Pilsner. It just depends on your goals for the beer.

Additionally, this is my first time using liquid yeast, so I want to make my first starter. Would someone be able to help me ratio wise with this? Also, is yeast nutrient necessary to add to a starter? Should I pitch more than 1/2 pack of yeast into the start for my 1 gallon batch?

If I were brewing a one gallon batch, I would figure out how much yeast I need and use it, skipping the starter. It's probably not more than a full pack of liquid yeast. (But I would add yeast nutrient to the wort.)

SmallScaleOperator

Reaction score
I second revising your hop additions, generally Magnum is a early addition for bittering.

I really like to reference the beer and brewing “make your best” series when I’m putting together a recipe. They have them for many beers and it gives a good overview of the style along with some ingredient suggestions.

Remember the best thing about home brewing is that it’s your beer, make it how you like it!

rburrelli

Reaction score
I agree that a starter is not likely needed provided the date on it is not old.

Velnerj

Simul justus et potator
Reaction score
You can use a yeast calculator. Just search for Mr malty yeast calculator on Google or I also think they have an app now.