Beer to Stay Away From

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stu4stew

Reaction score
Figured I would start a thread for to talk about sh!tty beer. So that you don't make the mistake I did.

We have all been there "O that looks new, I haven't tried that before" -> 6 pack or bomber in the cart

Beers not to Bother with:

Anything for Trader Joes under the JB label- Everytime they get me with their low costs and varying styles of beer. Stay Away!

I once had a Funkwerks that tasted like moldy socks, and it was an expensive bomber, at that!

Possibly a bad bottle or just not up your alley Im guessing.

Ive never had a bad beer from funkwerks. I have gotten a bad bottle of their cherry saison last year, but the second bottle I opened was fine.

Sam Adams seasonal "Cherry Chocolate Bock".

90360_70442.jpg

Someone offered me a "beer" at a Christmas party and this is what they handed me. To not be rude I tried it. Horrible. I about gagged on the first sip. I usually don't mind Sam's seasonal and limited releases but this was not one of them!

The lager from Munich Haufbrau. Green bottles skunked it by the time it got over here. New decree from wife last year-thou shalt not by beer in green bottles.:mug:

Sam Adams seasonal "Cherry Chocolate Bock".

90360_70442.jpg

Someone offered me a "beer" at a Christmas party and this is what they handed me. To not be rude I tried it. Horrible. I about gagged on the first sip. I usually don't mind Sam's seasonal and limited releases but this was not one of them!

I was not a fan, either. And it made me genuinely upset that they substituted this for the Chocolate Bock, which I felt was a pretty tasty beer. The "cherry" aspect was just too tart and overpowering, it was like...cherry cough syrup or fake cherry flavoring. I wasn't pleased overall with the Sam variety pack this year for the holidays. The previous year I thought was a home run...this year was a swing and a miss.

Rogue Voodoo Maple Bacon Stout or whatever its called. Truly the only beer I have ever just had to throw out. It made me ill that they put something that awful on the shelf.

Actually I had a Rogue Irish Lager on tap at the bar the other night that was pathetic, I haven't really had faith in them in a while.

I bet some folks like Abita's Turbodog. Not me. That's vile stuff.

Hey - just wondering if Vas Deferens is a vasectomy in a bottle?

Mississippi Mud Black and Tan, it comes in a cool looking jug and is some of the nastiest beer I have ever had.

I used it as drain cleaner.

Cheers :mug:

I haven't had it, and I'm never going to. Possibly the most unappealing label ever to adorn a beer bottle.

vas_deferens.jpg

I've had it... After undergoing a certain medical procedure.

It was actually quite good.

However, you're unlikely to find it again, add it says on the label that this beer was "not meant to reproduce"...

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat. Sadly, it was my first experience with a pumpkin beer and made me gun shy about them for awhile. Recently tried a fellow homebrewer's imperial pumpkin stout and saw how good a pumpkin beer can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Six packs.
Pretty much every store I go to allows me to buy singles. I no longer buy a six pack before I've tasted the beer. It's worth the extra cost not to risk five singles I might not want.

Not a fan of the Abita Strawberry Harvest. Too sweet and what little strawberry flavor was in it, was incredibly artificial. Glad my roommate bought it, and I didn't.

Not a fan of the Abita Strawberry Harvest. Too sweet and what little strawberry flavor was in it, was incredibly artificial. Glad my roommate bought it, and I didn't.

It's always interesting to read about different opinions on beers. I love Abita Strawberry Harvest, and buy as much as I can when it comes out. It usually sells out pretty fast where I live.

They use no artificial flavor, extracts, or oils in any of their harvest series beers. I've brewed many times using strawberries, and I'm constantly amazed at how much strawberry flavor Abita gets into this beer using real fruit.

It's always interesting to read about different opinions on beers. I love Abita Strawberry Harvest, and buy as much as I can when it comes out. It usually sells out pretty fast where I live.

They use no artificial flavor, extracts, or oils in any of their harvest series beers. I've brewed many times using strawberries, and I'm constantly amazed at how much strawberry flavor Abita gets into this beer using real fruit.

That is really interesting. Might have to try another thats still in the fridge. It was pretty much a gut reaction after a few sips.

Chincoteague Brauhaus' Chincoteague Pony Pee was pretty awful.

Maybe the name was an accurate descriptor? :D I tried the Mama's Little Yella Pils from Oskar Blues yesterday after Giant Eagle just put out the new seasonals,etc. Man they've got a lot of good craft beers now,some on sale. It was just barely cool store temp when I got'em home & tried one out of the fridge an hour later or so. A bit barnyardy on the back. But having one now,it's not there at all. Just has to chill in the fridge awhile. Seems just like home brew,gotta have that fridge time to clean up a bit?...

I had a Stone Double Bastard over the weekend that I found very hard to finish. I've had the Arrogant Bastard and many of their other beers and like them very well, but this one was not pleasant smelling or tasting. I'm wondering if I could have gotten a bad bottle (bomber).

I here ya,man. Now that my refinance is going through,I'll be able to afford craft beer most of the time now. No more cheap BMC knock-offs. Besides being able to brew again. Man,I miss the mash...try & be drunk & say that 3 times fast! Not to mention,I just got TM's Turbo connection with WIFI & basic cable for only $61/month...3 bucks higher than the new cable price. Sports & home brews again! I hope I can get Lemans again this year. We used to BBQ & drink beer while watching the 24 hours of Lemans.

I would have to second Rogue's Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon Ale, only beer to date that I have not finished and I have drank South Paw.

Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale
Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy

The Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale was purchased by my wife and I thought it was an Oktoberfest and took a big drink of it. It was all I could do to keep from spewing it all over the place.

I have a friend whose husband loves anything Leinenkugel (Some Fruit) Shandy. I think the stuff is vile and can't force myself to drink it. He loves the stuff and brings it over anytime he can. I always send it home with him.

Mark

New Castle Brown Ale yuk yuk yuk, to me it has a copper after taste to it. Nakasi Total Domination for some reason I just dont like the hop flavor. SA Boston Lager is nasty too, Voodoo Maple Bacon beer by Rogue is terrible.

i wouldn't turn any beer away that i haven't tried before. just because some people don't like it doesn't mean you won't.

Try Traders Joe brand beers, especially their 3.99 a six lager.

:fro:

Lets just say, I've had plenty of awful beer, but none that tasted like that.
It tasted like the yeast stalled at 1.024 and was very sweet.

Their IPA was as good as the IPAs I made with my Mr. Beer kit the first year I started brewing.

The other 3 types of beer were not as good as my first few batches when I moved up from Mr. Beer.

Try Traders Joe brand beers, especially their 3.99 a six lager.

:fro:

Lets just say, I've had plenty of awful beer, but none that tasted like that.
It tasted like the yeast stalled at 1.024 and was very sweet.

Their IPA was as good as the IPAs I made with my Mr. Beer kit the first year I started brewing.

The other 3 types of beer were not as good as my first few batches when I moved up from Mr. Beer.

Don't drink Dark Lord then. Somebody did a hydrometer test on a degassed sample a while back and it was around 1.070 from the bottle :cross:

Back