Beer to Stay Away From

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would like the further state that Voodoo Bacon Maple Doughnut is the single worst thing I have ever drank. Split the bottle with 3 people and even the bravest of us dumped it.

Sam Adams seasonal "Cherry Chocolate Bock".

90360_70442.jpg

Someone offered me a "beer" at a Christmas party and this is what they handed me. To not be rude I tried it. Horrible. I about gagged on the first sip. I usually don't mind Sam's seasonal and limited releases but this was not one of them!

I received the Sam Adams Holiday 12 pack for the office secret santa and was really looking forward to this beer. Cracked one open, took a sip and just about spit it out. It tasted like cherry cough syrup. Letting it come up to room temp didn't help. I ended up pouring it out and gave away the other one from the 12 pack.

macro lager shouldnt be mentioned because we all know its garbage.

I hate the cherry bock also. its bad.

I had this fruit ale from samuel smith. I think it was strawberry or something.
It was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sweet and sickening.
I couldnt even choke down a sip. I would have to charge a 100 bill per sip to drink it.

Samuel smith oatmeal stout, nut brown, organic lager and ale however are amazing.

It might not be your cup of tea but I challenge you to brew an American lager as flawless like the big three do.

even if I did id still give it to my dog.
dogs love crappy beer.

Hey everyone knows they put out consistent product.
Its just bland, flavorless, crappy, watery, fodder for drunks and very likely dogs.

Figured I would start a thread for to talk about sh!tty beer. So that you don't make the mistake I did.

We have all been there "O that looks new, I haven't tried that before" -> 6 pack or bomber in the cart

Beers not to Bother with:

Anything for Trader Joes under the JB label- Everytime they get me with their low costs and varying styles of beer. Stay Away!

You are right, that stuff IS sh!tty!

Don't drink Dark Lord then. Somebody did a hydrometer test on a degassed sample a while back and it was around 1.070 from the bottle :cross:

Speaking of Dark Lord, anyone going to Dark Lord Day this year? I got tix for the 2:30 session.

I liked it

So did I!

Those goes along the "different beer, different tastes, blah blah blah"

Just like people cult-like GI Bourbon County Stout and I think it taste like bourbon syrup, given I'm aging a few bottles in hopes that it mellows out but once again, different beer, different tastes, blah blah blah...

Lol I like bcbs a lot too, but I've never had a hassle getting it, I wouldn't wait in line for it or anything

So did I!

Those goes along the "different beer, different tastes, blah blah blah"

Just like people cult-like GI Bourbon County Stout and I think it taste like bourbon syrup, given I'm aging a few bottles in hopes that it mellows out but once again, different beer, different tastes, blah blah blah...

Yeah I like the Sam Smith Chocolate as well. To me it doesn't taste much like beer...more like a chocolate drink, but it's delicious. Oodles of chocolate.

Well, I've made this same exact reply before, but once again I'll say anything from magic hat brewery. They've gone totally downhill after being bought out by some Costa Rican company. A disgrace to Vermont beer. Not to mention their attempted lawsuit against a small Kentucky brewpub....absolutely not aligned with Vermont morals.

Green mountain high!

To me it tasted WAY more banana-ey.. And I absolutely hate bananas!

You got banana from that? I'll be honest, I had it once, it was pretty good, super chocolatey, but not something I'd seek out again. Did the yeast go crazy in your bottle and make banana esters? I'm intrigued lol

WELL'S Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale. Bought it on a whim for swmbo. I had had a pint of their Banana Bread ale which wasn't too bad. But this **** was really really gross. It was like an artificially colored/flavored lager. Couldn't finish a 12 oz but on the bright side for some reason she liked it enough to finish of a 6er over the next month. lol

Mississippi Mud Black and Tan, it comes in a cool looking jug and is some of the nastiest beer I have ever had.

I used it as drain cleaner.

Cheers :mug:

This just goes to show you how diverse the tastes of ppl on this site are, which is a good thing.
My brother got me a bottle of this stuff, and I loved it. . I thought it had dark malty flavor with pils smoothness. Very drinkable. Trying to figure out how to make more. Maybe mix cream of 3 crops with a porter?

Not really beer but smith and forge hard cider. Is god awful it smells and tastes like prison toilet wine

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was on vacation in SoCal last week and picked up a 6'er of Kona Brewing Co's Longboard Lager, or something like that, and thought it was disgusting. It tasted like skunky Corona mixed with MGD. I drank half of one and dumped it and gave the rest to my brother who will drink just about anything.

I was on vacation in SoCal last week and picked up a 6'er of Kona Brewing Co's Longboard Lager, or something like that, and thought it was disgusting. It tasted like skunky Corona mixed with MGD. I drank half of one and dumped it and gave the rest to my brother who will drink just about anything.

Maybe it was old? I've had it a few times, don't get me wrong, it's not good in any way - basically a $10 6 pack of bud light, but it's never been skunky for me

This was pretty bad. Didn't pour it out though cause I needed something to wash the sh*tty burger down with.

beer_746.jpg

I actually really like Pacifico, a great yard working beer IMO. I have never had Kona long board but have had the Big Wave Golden Ale and I think it is also an good yard worker.

I actually really like Pacifico, a great yard working beer IMO. I have never had Kona long board but have had the Big Wave Golden Ale and I think it is also an good yard worker.

The Longboard is kind of generic (Bud for twice the price is a pretty good descriptor), but the Big Wave is a really refreshing light ale.

I haven't had it, and I'm never going to. Possibly the most unappealing label ever to adorn a beer bottle.

vas_deferens.jpg

It's actually delicious! I know the brewer, he originally brewed it in memoriam of his Vas-Def....and it was so popular at his pub he made it one of his regular line up.

Agreed on the label though..

Never had Flying Dog - The Fear, but a delicious pumpkin ale is Sam Adams Fat Jack Double Pumpkin, I have a bottle that I hope ages well.....

Rogue Voodoo Maple Bacon Stout or whatever its called. Truly the only beer I have ever just had to throw out. It made me ill that they put something that awful on the shelf.

Actually I had a Rogue Irish Lager on tap at the bar the other night that was pathetic, I haven't really had faith in them in a while.

+1! Just a terrible beer. I'm also not a fan of Rogue as a whole. I've tried many of their beers and have either flat out not liked them or was left overly unimpressed.

Maybe it was old? I've had it a few times, don't get me wrong, it's not good in any way - basically a $10 6 pack of bud light, but it's never been skunky for me

I don't think it was actually skunked, but it tasted like corona, which to me always tastes slightly skunky, mixed w a BMC lager. It may have been tolerable if I'd put a (whole) lime in it or it was hotter outside, but I couldn't finish a single bottle of it. My brother loved it tho, different strokes I guess.

Back