Beer to Stay Away From

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double Bastard is suitable for aging per the label, and it tastes pretty awesome with a couple years on it. My guess is that since the poster is a fan of Arrogant he probably got a mishandled bottle.

Hmm, I'm going to have to try another one out of curiosity now. Stone IPA's are some of my favorite so this really took me by surprise. I wonder how the bottle could have been mishandled?

I will try anything once, and have for the sake of beer !
and I have more than once poured out home brew I did not like,
and I have poured out more than one beer at a big brew fest i did not like

But the only one i SPIT out was a
Soured Smoked Pumkin Ale

Spit it out at GABF 2010, all over the floor, and was not ashamed i did
It was the worst thing i have ever EVER tasted !
I can not describe the taste, other than it ruined the rest of my day at GABF

Worst Beer EVER !!!

I haven't had it, and I'm never going to. Possibly the most unappealing label ever to adorn a beer bottle.

vas_deferens.jpg

I love how the devil just ripped the man-juice transport tube in half. But I'm not ever trying that, either.

I could be put off of a lot of different beers for a lot of different reasons but a label like that isn't one of them.

Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale
Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - This shouldn't even be called beer
Boxer Lager
Coors light
Miller lite
Old Milwaukee Best light
These are a few I can think of off the top of my head.

Possibly a bad bottle or just not up your alley Im guessing.

Ive never had a bad beer from funkwerks. I have gotten a bad bottle of their cherry saison last year, but the second bottle I opened was fine.

I'm sure it was a bad bottle, I've had other brews from them that were great. Still, money down the drain.

It's true everyone has differing taste. I enjoyed dragons milk enough to make a Russian imperial stout aged on oak chips.

Bud ice would be the worst thing I ever tried.. I guess you get what you pay for.

Shock Top Pumpkin Wheat. Sadly, it was my first experience with a pumpkin beer and made me gun shy about them for awhile. Recently tried a fellow homebrewer's imperial pumpkin stout and saw how good a pumpkin beer can be.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Pumpkin beers are awesome, but I will agree with you here. A Belgian wit is NOT the correct base beer for pumpkin and pumpkin spice. The Belgian yeast with pumpkin does not mix well :(

Anything in green bottles.

I felt like drinking without drinking the other day and bought a non-alcoholic Beck's. The moment I opened it, it smelled like skunk.

Never been big on anything I've tried from Gordon Biersch. I've tried various beers beers from them bottled and on tap, and they just don't do it for me.

Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale
Shock Top white beer

Yep. Both of those are high on my "s" list.

So is Sierra Nevada Kellerweis (poured out after one sip and a gag) and anything Budweiser (except for the Busch Reserve Copper Lager which is supposed to come out soon).

Some of their stuff is tolerable (not great, but ok), but all of their fruit-flavored beers taste horribly fake and overly sweet.

I found a couple months ago that Leinenkugel's Hoppin' Helles is pretty good. But their fruity offerings are a bit sweet/tart for me.

The other day I was at the local liquor store and wanted to try some Baltic beers... Got Porteris from Aldaris (Latvian, and was pretty good) and Rock (Estonian, not half bad) and Crazy Brewski, a Lithuanian beer marketed as an Imperial Pils. Total drain pour. I feel bad about pouring a bottle, but when I took the first sip I started to worry that I'd lose my eyesight.

Mississippi Mud Black and Tan, it comes in a cool looking jug and is some of the nastiest beer I have ever had.

I used it as drain cleaner.

Cheers :mug:

My wife tried to get me to buy this the other day, all because of the cool jar. Glad I passed

I haven't had it, and I'm never going to. Possibly the most unappealing label ever to adorn a beer bottle.

vas_deferens.jpg

This is right in line with the new craft beer marketing trend. Instead of having flagship beers that are really good, a lot of places are trying to cater to that beer snob, look at me and my beer label that matches my hat. It's a super uber rare release of beer and it must be good because A. you can't get it anymore and B. look at the label.

Falls right in line with the enjoy by from Stone. except its the date on the label thats the trigger

Brewdog Tokyo.....I had to pour it down the sink, and it was expensive shizzle too.

That one was terrible. Cloyingly sweet cough syrup. I got two sips in.

This is right in line with the new craft beer marketing trend. Instead of having flagship beers that are really good, a lot of places are trying to cater to that beer snob, look at me and my beer label that matches my hat. It's a super uber rare release of beer and it must be good because A. you can't get it anymore and B. look at the label.

Falls right in line with the enjoy by from Stone. except its the date on the label thats the trigger

You're missing the point of Enjoy By. Hoppy beers are best consumed as fresh as possible. Stone made a DIPA (an excellent one at that) and made the expiration date the label. This is a highly visible way to ensure their customers are enjoying the beer as it was intended. I saw a 6-pack of Ballast Point Sculpin on a store shelf a couple months ago that was bottled in 2012. The poor sucker that buys that without checking the date is going to think the beer is terrible because any and all hop flavor and aroma are long gone.

Stone-Crime.

I had a lot of trouble with this one. It is HOT, burning all the way down, scalp tingling HOT. It tastes like the chemicals that are in fire. I'd rather have Satan chew through my vas deferens than take one more sip.

I had the 2012 release of Crime and thought it was decent. I bought last year's release and couldn't even make it through the bottle. When a beer hurts you to drink it how can it possibly be an enjoyable experience?

I know I'll get some flak for this, but I had a bottle of Dark Lord (red wax, 2012) and it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too sweet. It must have been a young bottle, I'm not saying avoid it. I am saying age it.

Also, I've read that 2012 was their worst year for DL, so...

roguebottle.jpg

Nothing about this beer tasted like chocolate, peanut butter, and banana as advertised. It tasted like fake chocolate and chemicals. I could probably choke down a piss flavored stout if it cost $12 a bottle, but couldn't stomach more than a few sips of this.

My wife tried to get me to buy this the other day, all because of the cool jar. Glad I passed

I've had it a few times, it's not that bad. Basically a pre-mixed porter and pilsner. IIRC, it was very malt-forward with very little hops flavor. But I think the cool little jug is half the attraction.

Now, I have had a few JB's that were drinkable. If I remember right, they had a pale ale that had a surprisingly tasty dry hop note. I get it-- it is not as good as the beer we can brew!!! but it is 10X better than a Bud and actually a bit cheaper.

Figured I would start a thread for to talk about sh!tty beer. So that you don't make the mistake I did.

We have all been there "O that looks new, I haven't tried that before" -> 6 pack or bomber in the cart

Beers not to Bother with:

Anything for Trader Joes under the JB label- Everytime they get me with their low costs and varying styles of beer. Stay Away!

roguebottle.jpg

Nothing about this beer tasted like chocolate, peanut butter, and banana as advertised. It tasted like fake chocolate and chemicals. I could probably choke down a piss flavored stout if it cost $12 a bottle, but couldn't stomach more than a few sips of this.

Had their chocolate, raspberry, pretzel one and I felt the same

of all the smokestack series from boulevard, only a coffee stout (i think) and the chocolate ale were drinkable for me. i wouldn't buy either of those again, but atleast of those, i finished them. the other 6 or 7 i've tried....about 3 sips and i dumped them.

I like the bourbon barrel quad and the rye on rye from them. Those are the only smokestack beers I've had, but both were excellent IMO.

vas_deferens.jpg

I laughed at this label and showed the wife, who apparently brought me home one of these. She works at a high end grocery store and brings me home random good stuff. I don't remember it but she said I liked it.

I must not be very picky because I have never spat out a beer nor would pour one down a sink. I have some beers I would not buy again but would not refuse to drink if that was all that was available. Like eating haggis, I'll try anything once. I agree TJs beer is swill but would not turn it down if that was all there was.

I laughed at this label and showed the wife, who apparently brought me home one of these. She works at a high end grocery store and brings me home random good stuff. I don't remember it but she said I liked it.

I must not be very picky because I have never spat out a beer nor would pour one down a sink. I have some beers I would not buy again but would not refuse to drink if that was all that was available. Like eating haggis, I'll try anything once. I agree TJs beer is swill but would not turn it down if that was all there was.

whats wrong with haggis :confused:

The Mission St. Pale at Trader Joe's is brewed by Firestone Walker and is quite tasty if you get fresh bottles. Just sayin...

whats wrong with haggis :confused:

Nothing, I order it every time I visit a Scottish restaurant.:D

I will have to go try the Mission Pale again. Is it under the TJ brand? I have drank my share of the TJs other beers and came to the conclusion if I am too poor to afford better beer, I should stay sober.

Never been big on anything I've tried from Gordon Biersch. I've tried various beers beers from them bottled and on tap, and they just don't do it for me.

^^^ Total agreement there.

Anyway, my contribution...

I visited my brothers back in DE a few months back, and I was in awe of the universal availability and low cost of the various DFH offerings. That's what I brought to the party.

Then my younger brother goes on a beer run, and the bastard comes back with Landshark. I couldn't finish a single bottle of that garbage.

^^^ Total agreement there.

Anyway, my contribution...

I visited my brothers back in DE a few months back, and I was in awe of the universal availability and low cost of the various DFH offerings. That's what I brought to the party.

Then my younger brother goes on a beer run, and the bastard comes back with Landshark. I couldn't finish a single bottle of that garbage.

I agree with the Landshark comments. The fact that they bottle it in clear bottles makes me wonder how often people buy skunked batches of the stuff. It's nasty enough non-skunked.

Back