Beer line question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
I have two kegs. My 5 gallon keg has a 5 ft line, and my 2.5 gal keg has a 10 ft line. I just went to pour a glass out of the 2.5 gallon keg for the first time and nothing comes out. I ran starsan through it just fine before I kegged it. It's sitting at 9 psi. Any idea why it won't work? My 5 gallon keg serves just fine.

What beer is in the 2.5 gallon keg? Maybe you are being blocked by hops/ trub?

Mike

:mug:

Kinda what I thought. Thanks I'l check that. It's a Red IPA. It was dry hopped so it's very possible. I'l check that! My first thought was maybe the beer line is too long for the pressure, but I ran starsan through it just fine.

Kinda what I thought. Thanks I'l check that. It's a Red IPA. It was dry hopped so it's very possible. I'l check that! My first thought was maybe the beer line is too long for the pressure, but I ran starsan through it just fine.

No. The only issue with a very long line is a slower pour, so it might take three seconds longer to pour a beer.

If it's not pouring at all, the diptube or poppit is clogged up. It's an easy fix- just depressurize the keg, remove the post and clean it, and then remove the diptube and "eyeball" it up to a light source and clean it out and replace.

If it's hops, though, it'll probably keep happening. I've seen stainless diptube screens for sale on various sites, but haven't needed one. I've considered it after having a diptube clogged up but so far so good!

Definitely the hops. I cleaned the diptube 4 times already and still clogged. Thinking about cutting about 1/4 inch off the dip tube or something. The diptube seems super long for the 2.5 gallon keg.

Definitely the hops. I cleaned the diptube 4 times already and still clogged. Thinking about cutting about 1/4 inch off the dip tube or something. The diptube seems super long for the 2.5 gallon keg.

I did exactly that. And I use that particular dip tube for my super hoppy IPA. It has worked so far. In the meantime, I did try a new (to me) product called Clear Beer Draught System. It is, essentially, a replacement of the dip tube with a silicone hose with a flatter on the bottom end. It ends up drawing from the top of the beer. I was quite impressed. http://www.clearbeerdraughtsystem.com (I want to point out that I have no connection to this company, other than being a customer.

Mike

:mug:

Before you go cutting the dip tube, make sure your tap faucet is cleaned out. I've had a dry hopped keg clog every part of the serving line; faucet, poppit, dip tube. If you have another keg, you can always rack to it and leave the hops behind for this batch and rectify it on your next beer.

Latest posts

Back