Beer Gas: Secondary regulators versus simple manifold.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djonesax

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I want to have a coffee, and two kegs of stout sitting on beer gas at the same time. I was thinking to plan for the future and get a set of 3 inline nitro regulators but then I was wondering if I will ever want to even have different stouts and coffee on different PSI's. I have done coffee on beer gas for over a year but this is my first time with the stout on nitro. So do you all think its woth the added expense for a block of 3 inline regulators or just go with a manifold with on/off valves? I'd like to try some heavier ambers and maybe a marzen on beer gas too. One thing I just thought of is when I had a manifold for my CO2 beers way back, sometimes the beer would back up in the gas lines due to pressure differences while swapping out kegs.

So I can get with this...
https://www.wayfair.com/kitchen-tab...-secondary-triple-tap-regulator-kgco1142.html

or I can get with that...
https://www.homebrewing.org/3--Way-Gas-Manifold_p_6641.html

Thanks,

David

Last edited:
I dont know what you push the coffee at but my nitro stout is at 35psi I believe . If coffee and beer on beer gas is set at same psi then I'd just get the manifold .

I dont know what you push the coffee at but my nitro stout is at 35psi I believe . If coffee and beer on beer gas is set at same psi then I'd just get the manifold .
Yeah about 35psi for the coffee. Are all nitro beers done at about the same level then? I know CO2 levels vary for different styles.

I keep my nitro coffee on 100% nitrogen and nitro beer on nitrogen/co2, but I keep them at the same pressure. I do use a secondary regulator on the 100% nitrogen because I keep wine in a keg.

I keep my nitro coffee on 100% nitrogen and nitro beer on nitrogen/co2, but I keep them at the same pressure. I do use a secondary regulator on the 100% nitrogen because I keep wine in a keg.

I want to do wine too, and will likely get another nitro bottle and regulator for that. As expensive as the beer gas is, maybe a gas blender would make sense over the long haul and just have nitro and co2 versus all three.

I like the creamy head the beer bas gives the coffee, with a little cream and Splenda its like a little coffee milkshake.

I want to do wine too, and will likely get another nitro bottle and regulator for that. As expensive as the beer gas is, maybe a gas blender would make sense over the long haul and just have nitro and co2 versus all three.

I like the creamy head the beer gas gives the coffee, with a little cream and Splenda its like a little coffee milkshake.

Do you have any trouble with the beer gas carbonating your coffee over time? Or noticing any flavor change from carbonic acid?

I'm planning on putting my cold brew on tap at home as well (flat or nitro) and I picked up a 20cf nitrogen tank at Airgas since it was the same cost as a 5lb tank of beer gas at the homebrew shop. Plus I plan to have wine and still mead on tap eventually as well.

Not really, the restrictor plate strips almost all of it out. It may have a tiny bit but I don’t notice like I did when I had it on low PSI C02. I keep it on about 30 PSI beer gas.

I plan on building 6 of these for my keezer build so I can have 6 different pressures and regulate easily

Attachments

• inline regulater with pressure gauge.jpg
    inline regulater with pressure gauge.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 22
Back