beer bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beer bread is pretty awesome. Here's the recipe I use:

3 cups flour (sifted)
3 teaspoons baking powder (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
1 teaspoon salt (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
1/4 cup sugar
12 ounces of beer, any type
1/2 cup melted butter

Mix all the dry ingredients together, and add the beer and mix thoroughly. It will be lumpy. If you want a crispy crust, you can pour the butter over the top, otherwise mix it in. I usually add a bunch of different spices and shredded pepperjack cheese to mine.

Bake at 375 for around an hour.

Beer bread is pretty awesome. Here's the recipe I use:

3 cups flour (sifted)
3 teaspoons baking powder (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
1 teaspoon salt (omit if using Self-Rising Flour)
1/4 cup sugar
12 ounces of beer, any type
1/2 cup melted butter

Mix all the dry ingredients together, and add the beer and mix thoroughly. It will be lumpy. If you want a crispy crust, you can pour the butter over the top, otherwise mix it in. I usually add a bunch of different spices and shredded pepperjack cheese to mine.

Bake at 375 for around an hour.

Basically identical to my recipe as well. I use dark brown sugar. One of my favorite beers to use is New Belgiums Abbey. Throw in some spices, and it comes out amazing. I also made a loaf with youngs double chocolate stout, and some chocolate chips and toffee pieces. Sprinkled some cocoa powder on top. Amazing stuff, and easy as hell.

I tried using the leftover mash of a huge imperial stout, and the bread turned out really bitter and drying. Had to be smothered with butter or honey to be bearable. So a word of warning- use a mash from a lighter beer, or at least not one with tons of roasted barley and black patent.

Mash? You can use spent grain in beer bread, but the two recipes listed involve using 12 ounces of liquid beer. I suggest using beer before toying with spent grain. There are recipes out there for adding the spent grain, though.

Latest posts

Back