Beer and Bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crosschk

Working on a good one.....
Reaction score
I may be over thinking this

If I make beer and bread in the same general area, is there an issue with the 2 different types of yeast floating around? I understand that with beer and closed fermentation, that gas escapes the carboy but should not be going in. I have a fermentation chamber that would keep it away from the kitchen that I also make bread. So I am thinking its ok

Just wondering if anyone has run into any of issues doing this or am I just being weird lol

I think you are overthinking this too.

I make bread too. And I've added some beer yeast... S-04, US-05 and some unlabled yeast that use to come in the kits I'd buy, to homemade pizza dough. It does change it notably and it adds a different type of crispiness to the crust. However for regular bread, it seemed to add no benefit and actually seemed a detriment. I only added it as an addition to the normal bread yeast I use with them.

I haven't done much experimentation with beer yeast and bread though. Probably less than 5 times in the last two or three years.

Back