Kölsch Bee Cave Brewery Kölsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a shot of the finished product.

I am about two weeks out from the finished product...just kegged today. Tasted it coming out of the fermenter and I am really looking forward to the final product! Now comes the hard part...waiting for the keg to carb up. Patience is not my strength.

Tried this last night, 3 weeks in the primary, 3 in the bottle.

My new favorite beer, batch #8, #3 all-grain. This is a fine beer.

Hey Folks,

I just bottled my 1st batch of this (2nd all grain). My final gravity was 1.004, my original gravity was 1.042. I calculated this as 90% attenuation, is this correct? I left it in the primary for 17 days before bottling, would it be less if i bottled it sooner? Also, this is my 2nd all grain with BIAB so i mashed for around 90 minutes, could this also cause a problem?

If you mashed low and long, it can certainly increase attenuation, that and good healthy yeast. But if you bottled before it was done, you would have had gushers or bombs.

Well I'm only 19 days from when this beer used to be water, hops, grain and yeast and I can already see this beer being one of my best. For the people who keg - when does this beer peek? I'm hoping to serve it on March 19. That's only 30 days from brew day and just under 2 weeks in the keg.

It will be better to wait longer, but I've drank it plenty of time at 30 days. Cold crash and geltin. If you used kolsch yeast, it is very fine and takes a while to drop clear.

It will be better to wait longer, but I've drank it plenty of time at 30 days. Cold crash and geltin. If you used kolsch yeast, it is very fine and takes a while to drop clear.

I did cold crash before I kegged and used gelatin as well. It's remarkably clear already.

Brewing this right now exactly as originally published. I went to my LHBS and bought perle and tettnanger in the spirit of authenticity instead of rolling the dice with what I had on hand. 30 minutes till the next hop addition. During the mash it smelled amazing, like a giant bowl of Malt-O-Meal.

While it's still technically thanksgiving weekend, I'm grateful to have recipes like this to learn from and thankful for all those who came before me and selflessly shared their wisdom that I might not fail alone in frustration. HBT is truly a blessing to the homebrewing community. Wishing there was a turkey emoji right now.

I made a few tweaks to my setup for better efficiency and overshot the target OG 1.045 ending up with 1.055 into the fermenter. Wyeast 2565 is a monster, despite the addition of Fermcap S, the kraeusen blew out the airlock decorating the wall and floor with yeast. I swapped the double bubble airlock for a makeshift blowoff tube into a jug of starsan, seems to be under control now. Smells delicious already, I can't wait to try this one.

I want to try this this weekend but I already have 1.5 pounds of hallertau hops. I plan on doubling this recipie and am wondering how much of the hallertau hops I should use as a substitute?

Hi guys,

Thinking about brewing this soon.

Quick question, I know a lot of people lager their kolsch’s. Does this recipe call for a lagering period? My ferm chamber only has room for one FV so I dont really want it taken up for a month or so whilst its lagering (I like to have a new brew in it every week or 2!).
I was planning on fermenting this at 66 day 1 and bringing it up to 70 over the course of a week. Then I was going to leave it in the primary at room temp for another 2 weeks (68-70F), cold crash for a few days with gelatin and then bottle and condition for 3 weeks at room temp as normal. Will this be fine or does this beer really benefit from a lagering phase?

If you are using the Kolsch yeast, lagering helps to clear it. It doesn't clear out by just cold crashing. I think the lagering helps the taste as well, but your taste may be different and your method might be OK for you.

Hi guys,

Thinking about brewing this soon.

Quick question, I know a lot of people lager their kolsch’s. Does this recipe call for a lagering period? My ferm chamber only has room for one FV so I dont really want it taken up for a month or so whilst its lagering (I like to have a new brew in it every week or 2!).
I was planning on fermenting this at 66 day 1 and bringing it up to 70 over the course of a week. Then I was going to leave it in the primary at room temp for another 2 weeks (68-70F), cold crash for a few days with gelatin and then bottle and condition for 3 weeks at room temp as normal. Will this be fine or does this beer really benefit from a lagering phase?
What yeast are you planing on using ? If using Wyeast 2565, I would ferment at 60-62, then ramp to 68.

What yeast are you planing on using ? If using Wyeast 2565, I would ferment at 60-62, then ramp to 68.
Would probably be using WLP029 the kolsch yeast, i think its that anyway. I wont be using any though if it requires lagering? Cant afford to have my ferm chamber taken up for a few months.

I've drank it 2 weeks after kegging and its fine, it just gets better the longer it lagers. i usually try to wait 30 days, but sometimes I get thirsty.
Do you have the room to refrigerate you bottles after conditioning ?

I've drank it 2 weeks after kegging and its fine, it just gets better the longer it lagers. i usually try to wait 30 days, but sometimes I get thirsty.

I have room for about 20 ish bottles in the fridge, however, I'd need to dedicate some of that space to beer that are ready to drink. I might just leave it until I get a kegging system set up.

I gave it half a week in the keg. :)
it's damn crisp and the lacing on the glass......
Little cloudy but like you said, we get thirsty.
Soon as my next order of kegs come in i'll start brewing 10 gallon batches so one can sit in the back of the keggorator forgotten.

So I took this recipe and substituted the wheat for corn to make a cream ale and it was very good . Keg was emptied in 2 weeks between me and my friends and family.

Awaiting the arrival of my grainfather (tomorrow or wed) and have decided this will be my 1st AG go at it! Thanks for the recipe, it sounds delicious.

Hi everyone! Im rather new, currently this is the 5th time I will brew, and this is the recipe I have planned, but where I live , there is no way to get a Kolsch yeast. I know it has been previously asked in this thread, and it wont be a true Kolsch, but I will go with the wlp001 yeast. If I submitted this recipe to a competition, but with the california ale yeast , it could still go into the Kolsch category? or should it go somewhere else? thanks!

so here it is. Gelatin and 4 days cold crash. 2 days after kegging. I used wlp001 so it might not be a true kolsch, but it very easy drinking, might need a little more time in the keg to fully mature. Thanks for the recipe
WhatsApp Image 2019-05-28 at 14.46.04.jpeg

Hey guys I`d like to brew my first Kolsch based on this recipe. I`m in NZ so I try to use hops from here as much as possible as they are cheaper and fresher so my hop bill will look like this:

30g Pacifica (FKA Pacific Hallertau) 5%AA @ 60mins
10g Pacifica 5%AA @ 30mins
10g Taiheke (FKA NZ Cascade) 7%AA @ 15mins
15g Pacifica 5%AA @ 5mins

IBU = 32

From what I can gather, the Pacifica gives a orange marmalade character. Often used as aroma hop but can be used for bittering and gives a soft, floral bitterness.
Taiheke is supposedly more citrusy than US Cascades resinous piney character, and I am only using a touch of that anyway.
I`m thinking these hops will give more of a lemon citrusy character as opposed to the apple, winey notes from typical Kolsch hops. I can live with that as long its not too powerful (like you get with NZ dry-hopped Pilsners here). I still want this to be a nice balance between the yeast, hops and bready malt.

Does anyone have any experience with Pacifica in a Kolsch?
Also I`ve heard some people have used K-97 dry yeast in Kolsch with good results with the following fermentation schedule:
Pitch 18*C
Ferment 15-17*C
Bottle condition 20*C
Store 4-6weeks 10-12*C.

What are your thoughts?

I've made a bunch of this beer, done it with Wyeast 2565, White Labs WLP029, and Safale K-97. I prefer the Wyeast, that being said, the other 2 yeasts aren't bad, just different. The only hop I've ever substituted was the 15 & 5, I used Citra, it was pretty good. But my favorite is recipe as written with Wyeast at 62* F. for 4 days and ramp to 68* F. for 10 days. Cold crash for a 5 days.

Well, I brewed this recipe *somewhat* yesterday. LHBS didn't have the hops I subbed the tett and perle for challenger and liberty. Due to poor planning on my part, I forgot to make a starter with wlp029 before I mashed in so I just pitched directly. Sitting at 65 right now but it's been almost 24 hrs and no noticable activity yet. I may bump my chamber up to 68 like the OP said.

I brewed this recently with Pacifica hops and K-97 yeast. It lagered for 2 weeks and then had another 3 weeks in the bottle. It came out beautifully. Pale yellow with a sweet citrus nose. The taste is citrus, sherbet and wheat. It will be an awesome summer beer. I'd love to try this yeast in some other beer. Thanks for another great recipe!

Attachments

• IMG_5521.JPG
    IMG_5521.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 93
Did the beer ended up cloudy? This yeast takes forever to floc for me, but I really like it. I brewed a Russian River Hill 56 and a Kona Golden Wave clone with it and it's becoming my new favorite yeast. It's fruity when the yeast is still in suspension, which compliments the hops well, and rather clean when it flocs if you fermented in the low 60. Great one.

I know what you mean about the flocculation - it's one of those yeasts that doesn't pack down hard but instead keeps about an inch of haze at the bottom of the bottle. My beer came out pretty clear save for that bit at the bottom but I don't mind adding that bit to my glass though because I don't think it's too out of place in this kind of wheaty beer.
I've heard of people using K-97 for pale ale's so I'd quite like to try one out but would probably look at using hops that are more citrussy rather than really strong American hops.

Ive been wanting to make this for awhile now and finally gonna order the grains but i do have a newbie question
Is Pilsen malt the same as 2 row pils malt the recipe calls for ??
The site im looking at to get the grains from doesnt say 2 row pilsen malt
It only says pilsen malt and the brand name briess , etc etc

Briess Pilsen malt is made from 2 row barley. 2 row or 6 row indicates how many rows of grain on each stalk of barley. So yes, that malt will be perfect for this beer.

Ive been wanting to make this for awhile now and finally gonna order the grains but i do have a newbie question
Is Pilsen malt the same as 2 row pils malt the recipe calls for ??
The site im looking at to get the grains from doesnt say 2 row pilsen malt
It only says pilsen malt and the brand name briess , etc etc

I would order something like Weyermann Pils if you haven't ordered yet. I do think there is a difference when it comes to Pilsner malt. I find regular 2-Row has more similarities than differing Pilsner malts. I've never used K-97 yeast.

Just placed my order for grains and other goodies for this brew , wasn't sure if i needed rice hulls due to the wheat malt but i did get a pound just incase..
Still deciding if i want to do a 2.5 gal batch first or or a 5 gal. The reason is im sure 1 vial of the liquid yeast would be fine for a half batch and since i dont have a stir plate im kinda nervous about making a stater for the 5 gal , plus id have to extend my little mini fridge door out a bit to get my Big mouth bubbler (6 gal) to fit and be able to shut the door..

For all of you that made half batches how did your hop schedule go ??
When i plug the numbers into BrewersFriend ( for 3 gals. ) it gives me
.3 of Perle @ 60 min / 20.22 ibu , (my hops are 8% AA),,
.3 of Tettnang @ 15 min. / 6.51 ibu , (mine are only 3% AA),,
.3 of Tettnang @ 5 min. / 5.87 ibu , again my Tettnang is only 3% AA,,
This gives me a total of 32.6 IBU,s for a
3 gal. batch.....
The .3 on each of the hops just doesn't sound right to me for some reason..
Im wanting to start this brew tomorrow so i wanted to ask before its to late ......

I brewed this recently with Pacifica hops and K-97 yeast. It lagered for 2 weeks and then had another 3 weeks in the bottle. It came out beautifully. Pale yellow with a sweet citrus nose. The taste is citrus, sherbet and wheat. It will be an awesome summer beer. I'd love to try this yeast in some other beer. Thanks for another great recipe!
I know this a Kolsch thread but the sherbet threw me. Clear looking beer though.

I did attempt to make this Kolsch but a couple things (i think) went a little strange .i wanted to do a 2.5 gal test run so what i did was brew up 4 gals. Thinking that would let me collect 2.5 gals. Of clean wort in fermentor , i still ended up with a lot of break material in my 2.5 gal , the strange thing is all the break stuff ended up coagulating together , the yeast instead of being a creamy layer on the bottom of fermentor is also coagulated with all the other stuff , kinda like what cooked hamburger looks like , i did use whirlflock but ive never seen it act like this before. Used little less than half a tablet...
However it did ferment from an OG of 1.052 to an FG of 1.008 , smell and taste seem to be ok , maybe a slight warmth of alcohol , so i dont think i have an infection .
I just reduced temp from 67 to 39 degrees to crash a bit before bottleing ,
Im gonna go with it to the finish but the way everything coagulated has me a little worried ......

Back