Barleywine Secondary Fermentation Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I brewed a barleywine using WY1028 last Saturday and started fermentation at 64F (18C). After high krausen I ramped up to 70F (21C) and plan to hold it there until the 3-4 week mark. Afterwards, I plan to transfer to secondary for bulk aging for at least 6 months. My question is - what temperature would you recommend for the secondary? Keep in mind that I can control for heat, but for cooling I can only go as low as my basement temps around low to mid 50s F (low 10s C). My original thought was to keep it at 70, but in my research others have recommended much lower temps. What would you recommend?

It won't matter much what temperature you let this bulk age although too cold will slow the maturing. I've left an RIS age in the bottles at room temp for a year and it turned out good.

I bottle my barleywines and let then sit for six months at least without any temp control.

Back