Ball lock gas vs. liquid posts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
Am I OK putting the gas line onto the liquid post? Is it the same fit, or is it different enough that it'll give me trouble? I'm just looking to force carb through the liquid tube. It doesn't look like it should matter, but I read here somewhere that it is a PITA if you put the wrong line on the wrong post.

I see no reason to put the liquid out line onto the gas post, so that won't matter.

It's a pain to get off, but totally doable. I'm not sure how much doing this munges up the disconnect / post. A monkey wrench helps to get a little extra leverage on the disconnect.

The sizes are different. If you search, you'll find stories of people who have had to destroy the QR to get it off the post after connecting by mistake. Take Brewerbrad82's advice, get an extra line out connector and put a gas line on it. That's what I do as well. And add a way to keep the beer from coming back into your regulator!

Thanks all, I may just not do it that way and just shake vigorously instead. My gas line has pinch clamps at both ends and it would be a pain to change that.

Thanks all, I may just not do it that way and just shake vigorously instead. My gas line has pinch clamps at both end and it would be a pain to change that.

I wouldn't shake either, but it's something some people do with good results.

Can you just set it at 30 psi in the kegerator for 36 hours, and then turn it down to 12 psi? That way it'll be ready in less than 48 hours with no shaking or "fancy" things.

Wait, you're just force carbing?

I'd try to avoid doing anything fancy or clever.

Only time I've put the gas on the wrong post is to blow a hop clog out of the dip tube. For that, it's worth it. For just carbing, listen to Yooper. Simple is good.

Yea, just force carbing. I usually do "set and forget" but I want it a little quicker. It's a saison and I want it before summer is over.

An update, I tried gently burst carbing it but after 4 days it wasn't anywhere near ready. In the meantime I was out of town for 5 days, and it got hot again here in NYC, so summer isn't over yet. So 12 days later it is now nicely carb'ed. It could probably use just a tad more and that'll come with more time in the keg. It isn't as if I'm going to finish it in one day.

I set mine @ 15 PSI @ 35°F. It usually takes 5 days tops. Since I usually have two kegs of each beer I put the second keg in as well & 35° & each day I apply the CO2 @ 15 PSI until the gas flow stops. I then reconnect the first keg. The second keg then only needs 2 days to be ready.

Back