Average age of home brewers......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Average age of home brewers....Poll

• Total voters
Cliff's Edge Brewing, started in Spring of 2016 @ the age 37. I brew anywhere from 2.5-5 gallons ever other weekend. My girlfriend and I consume most of it, but there is a decent amount I give away for unbiased feedback.

2018 brew year kicking off tomorrow with a Belgian Tripel! Cheers!

I'm 39. I work at sea, for half the year- when I am home I brew 1-2 times per week (6 gallons)

I assumed you are married, otherwise you just busted the legal limit of 100 gallons per person per year. And admitted to it.

Man, appreciate the concern about the law....I'll start over in case the government is watching...
I'm 29. Usually brew once to twice a month, in 10 gallon batches, with my 2 other good friends. We then split it between all 3 of us. My loving wife approves of this hobby, bless her heart.

53 I’ve been brewing for 8 years. I brew a half barrel every three weeks or so.

Lots of friends to help me drink it all.

Last edited:
63 Yrs young, and brew about once a month. Not a lot of friends around here like the craft beer styles. Sad really!

27 and I brew about once a month, sometimes 5 gallons, sometimes 2.5 gallons. I only brew tried-and-true recipes as large batches, and do small batches of new/experimental stuff.

28 and do 2 10 gallon batches a month, or 1 5 gallon batch, or 0 batches. I brew in spurts

65, switched from 5 gallon batches to 3 gallon batches last year, brewed 3 times a month on average the last 9 months, but I'm running out of bottles and storage space. (I must not be drinking enough).

First post here. Love the forums. Great advice.

I'm 54 and started brewing 1 gal batches about three years ago after a personal tour of a local brewery. The brewer was a “mad scientist” but explained it in a way that gave me the incentive to start. Moved to 5 gal late last year and brew every couple of months.

Using extract kits at the moment and planning to take the leap into BIAB.

Very supportive wife who helps me bottle (yes, still bottling) and enjoys some of the fruits of labor. Mostly pale ales and heffs.

39 and some times it's 4x 5 gallons in a month, but other times, like this month, I haven't brewed at all

I'm 46 but I feel like 18 when I'm drinking good beer and about 58 when I'm sober. 83 when I'm hung over. I haven't brewed in about 3 years. My brewing buddy talked me into tearing down the ten gallon brewery so we could upside to one barrel. Then he bailed on me. I just haven't found the time to put it all back together yet. I brew vicariously through you guys about 300 gallons a week.

44 be 45 in 3 weeks or so and brew or try to brew every 2 to 3 months, but now I have kegerator and 6 kegs going to try to ramp that up a little.Have a stout thats been on tap 3 weeks but trying to let it mature, going to sample it on my birthday end of feb

I'm 24, started last year and now brew any chance I get based on fermenters and bottles. Usually about 2-3 time per month in 2 gallon batches.

22, started last year, I make 5 gallon batches on average of twice a month with my girlfriend. I know of people who started younger than 21 (NZ where the drinking age is 18) maybe they should get a voting option?

I'm 43 and I brew 2-3 5 gallon batches per month. I probably drink close to 4-6 gallons a month myself (thats like 8 pints per week). Damn, seems like a lot.

Last edited:
27. 5 gallon batches every two weeks. Enough to keep my kegs filled and my friends happy.

48 and 5 gallons a month, though I may start brewing a 2 gallon experimental batch in between now...

22, grew up making a few extract batches with my dad and then started on my own when I was 19. I make 2.5 gallon batches 2-4 times a month.

39 and brew one 5-gallon batch per month for personal consumption. If I have a party or homebrew competition coming up, then I brew more often. Probably average about 15-18 batches per year.

I'm 43. It's been intermittent. When I do brew it's 5 gallon batches. At times I've had 10 gallons in the fermentor. I originally started with 2 others guys. But they cop out all the time and do no research. It's like pulling teeth to get a brew day going while offering cellar beers to drink while brewing. They are mostly interested in drinking every beer known to man and checking in on untappd. I must forge ahead

I'm 53, been brewing since 2002 (16 years). I brew one 11 gallon batch every month. I do have friends and family who partake in consuming it!

I started brewing when I was legal to do so at 18, and am now brewing at 39, so the average age of this homebrewer is around 29.

I brew what I need to to keep the two kegs, one cask (winter only) and four cases of bottles full. And add some mead or cheese making if I need to fill in the gaps.

I’m 40 and have been brewing for 5 years. I brew 5 gallon batches and probably average 10 batches a year. I’m moving later this spring and I’m thinking it will be easier with empty kegs, so taking a break from brewing until after we are relocated. Hopefully I can get set up in my new place quickly and brew to refill the kegs shortly after the move!

62. Started brewing in November with a buddy that I have known since grade 8 (about 40 years ago). We've brewed 5 10 gallon batches since Nov. 17. I want to have at least three kegs in the Keezer but it's almost impossible. Some one keeps drinking it too quickly!

Back