Anyone want to explain how to make hard cider for a newbie?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is what I want to hear. How long to wait for it to be ready? 2,3, or4 weeks?

I’m less refined than others. Previously with the champagne yeast I’d wait one or two weeks tops. Going with cider yeast, my guess would be couple weeks minimum. If you bottle let them condition another two. Depends on your taste buds. Sample it after a couple weeks!

I think I've finally got past the beginner stage, and here's what I recommend, to the OP or for future reference:

Use pasteurized fresh-pressed apple juice (not from concentrate).
Use ale yeast (Nottingham, S-04 or US-05).
Don't add sugar or nutrient.
Keep the temperature around 68F/20C.
It should be done fermenting in a week or so, and it should taste pretty good.

Now that you've made a decent basic cider, start experimenting on subsequent batches.

Last edited:
I haven;t made cider for about 3 years, but I was on a big kick of cider-making a few years ago. I am luckily able to get raw, unpasteurized juice straight from a commercial press. For unpasteurized, it is a good idea to add some metabisulfite to inhibit wild yeast and other organisms, but for any cider it can help reduce oxidation. But that's an advanced topic.

As far as fruit, please please please don't use bottled fruit flavor. It all tastes like artificial crap.
You can use the fruit purees that are available in cans at your LHBS. For my blackberry cider, I use 5 gallons of cider, one 96 oz can of blackberry puree, and 3 lb of honey. It comes out about 8% abv.
The extra honey isn't necessary unless you want more booze.
But use real fruit if you want flavor, not "flavorings".

If you stabilize and back-sweeten, frozen apple juice concentrate works well, as it adds back in some of the flavor that gets lost in fermentation.

I think I've finally got past the beginner stage, and here's what I recommend, to the OP or for future reference:

Use pasteurized fresh-pressed apple juice (not from concentrate).
Use ale yeast (Nottingham, S-04 or US-05) to the jug.
Don't add sugar or nutrient.
Keep the temperature around 68F/20C.
It should be done fermenting in a week or so, and it should taste pretty good.

Now that you've made a decent basic cider, start experimenting on subsequent batches.
I agree with almost everything, but if you are using juice only without fruit pulp, I would use yeast nutrients. Also keep to the temp range of your yeasts.

I had read some people used brown sugar. That's all. Thought it was part of making the cider.
I heard the brown sugar was good for turning your product into apple jack, my last batch was ass kicking with white sugar so this go around I am doing brown. I pour a wine glass full of cider and drop in a shot glass of apple jack. then pink lemonade on top. Pretty nice boiler maker and ass kicking also.

As usual, tons of good advice here. I put together a website (diyHardCider.com) to teach people how to make hard cider... it covers most of the basics.

Here are some of the pages I would recommend starting with:
Hope these resources help some folks that come across this thread.

-Andrew

Back