Anybody else using Oxyclean instead of PBW?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PersonalBrewer

Reaction score
I started out using PBW because professional product and all that.

I have two Spiedel plastic fermenters, that when using PBW always left a faint beer smell although they had been thoroughly cleaned.

A buddy of mine, swears by Oxyclean, so I tried that. Guess what?

No residual beer smell using Oxyclean so that's what I have been using with no problems.

I'm thinking if there's enough to smell, not everything was cleaned as well as when there is no residual smell.

Thoughts?

I use unscented Oxy for cleaning fermenters and my kegs. no issues noted.

I did use oxiclean and TSP for the longest time just because I wouldn't pay PBW prices. I got a small PBW tub last order and tried actual CIP with hot water. The amount of crap, meaning black oily residue, that came off in the first wash has got me on board with PBW from here in out.

I use OxyClean Versatile Free on everything in my brewery. Its the scent free and dye free variant. Works great for a fraction of the cost.

Sodium percarbonate is the main ingredient in both Oxiclean and PBW. PBW was a variety of other cleaning agents that increase its effectiveness over Oxiclean.

Many brewers get by just using Oxiclean. If that works for your standards, then great.

If you want to save money, you can order straight sodium percarbonate from Amazon, which will be more effective and less expensive than Oxiclean.
You can also make your own PBW if you are willing to buy the bulk chemicals, for less than you're currently paying for Oxiclean.

Cheers

I too use scent free and dye free OxyClean. Never had any issues with cleaning. Follow Oxy clean with San Star for sanitation. The two together have helped be avoid any contamination issues.

But, I have never tried PBW. So I can not compare the two.

I use oxiclean free mixed 70/30 with TSP 90. But once my current tub is gone, I may just go with 100% oxiclean free. I'm out of TSP 90, just depends on if I feel like going to ACE to buy more or not...prolly will.

Yep. OxiClean Free (no dyes/scents). Works great. Been using it for a few years now. Cheap and effective.

I use oxiclean free mixed 70/30 with TSP 90. But once my current tub is gone, I may just go with 100% oxiclean free. I'm out of TSP 90, just depends on if I feel like going to ACE to buy more or not...prolly will.
After I used up my first batch of DIY PBW I switched to just plain oxiclean free for day to day brewery cleaning jobs. I also keep a tub of PBW on hand for super tough jobs, because it is more effective.

Ooops, it should be spelled OxiClean.

There's no discernable scent on the "stain remover" which I have been using so I thought I was using "free."

I just used what my wife had on hand.

That should be an easy fix to pick up some OxiClean free.

Glad I started the thread. There's always more I can learn!

I did use oxiclean and TSP for the longest time just because I wouldn't pay PBW prices. I got a small PBW tub last order and tried actual CIP with hot water. The amount of crap, meaning black oily residue, that came off in the first wash has got me on board with PBW from here in out.

Yes, PBW is a must if you do CIP! With that said; however, I use Oxiclean for everything else.

Beware with high ph tap water. It'll look clean, but you'll have to rinse like heck. PBW has some surfactant (like dish soap effect) to help remove itself.

I use an OXI cleaner for nutritional purposes that does not need to be rinsed and I have no infections.
However, I noticed that the solution is clearer when using RO water than tap water. I do not know if the effect in washing and disinfection is different.
For 50 batches I spent less than 1/2 kg of OXI powder I paid $ 10 per kg. I don’t think it could be cheaper.

Sodium percarbonate is the main ingredient in both Oxiclean and PBW. PBW was a variety of other cleaning agents that increase its effectiveness over Oxiclean.

Many brewers get by just using Oxiclean. If that works for your standards, then great.

If you want to save money, you can order straight sodium percarbonate from Amazon, which will be more effective and less expensive than Oxiclean.
You can also make your own PBW if you are willing to buy the bulk chemicals, for less than you're currently paying for Oxiclean.

Cheers

Bulk chemicals.. you have my attention.

I can't get PBW or Oxiclean Free, so I use the regular scented Oxiclean (and generic equivalents). Seems to work fine for me. I just make sure to rinse a lot.

I've been using Oxiclean Free for the last 10 years and just picked up my first container of PBW. I've been happy with Oxiclean so I haven't ventured otherwise. I'll giving my system a cleaning with PBW soon to see if there's a difference.

Just switched to Oxiclean as I got a good deal on it from Amazon. I have regularly used PBW for years. The Oxiclean solution is definitely more bubbly and slick to the touch. And requires more rinsing.

Just switched to Oxiclean as I got a good deal on it from Amazon. I have regularly used PBW for years. The Oxiclean solution is definitely more bubbly and slick to the touch. And requires more rinsing.

Use Chemipro OXI and you not need to rinse.

Latest posts

Back