Any toxic effect from FermCapS or other anti-foam products?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiskeySam

Reaction score
Some anti-foam products have cautions regarding using more than 1 drop in a five gallon batch. I use this stuff in my starter beer, often more than 1 drop. I'm just curious if any of you chemists know what's up with anti-foam.

Fermcap-s is silicone based and the FDA? advises filtering it out of the beer before consumption.

The direction on my bottle say add 2 drops per gallon at the start of fermentation.

It is said that is settles and is in the trub so very little gets transferred into the final product.

I have limited my use since finding out that it is silicone based. I use a blow off tube and try to control the foam with temperature.

I have read that there is another form of Fermcap or similar that does not contain silicone.

Fermcap-s is silicone based and the FDA? advises filtering it out of the beer before consumption.

The direction on my bottle say add 2 drops per gallon at the start of fermentation.

I have read that there is another form of Fermcap or similar that does not contain silicone.

That FDA warning sounds a little strange to me since these drops are and have been for many years approved for non-prescription oral use in infants gas relief drops. The dosage for infants is .3ml no more than 12 doses a day. That's 3.6ml per day..

Considering I only use about 3-4 drops (maybe .25ml total) in 7 gallons of wort I have no fear whatsoever that it has had or will ever have any effect on me or anyone drinking my beer.:confused:

bosco

It's no worse than taking ANY anti gas pills or drops. It's simethecone. If you or your child take or have taken any of the following. All you really are ingesting, if any actually gets through the end of the process after being left behind in the trub of the boil kettle, the yeast layer of your fermenter and your racking into the bottling bucket or keg, is a highly highly highly dilluted amount.

Alka-Seltzer Anti-Gas

Anti-Gas

Anti-Gas-80

Baby Gas

Bicarsim

Colic Drops

Colicon

Degas

Equalize Gas Relief Drops

Ez2go Zero

Flatulex Drops

Gas Aide

Gas-X

Gas-X Extra Strength

Gas-X Liquid Extra Strength

Gas-X Maximum Strength

Genasyme

Infantaire Gas Relief

Little Tummys

Maalox Anti-Gas

Maalox Anti-Gas Extra Strength

Majorcon

Maximum Strength Mylanta Gas

Mi-Acid Gas Relief

Micon-80

Mylanta Gas

Mylanta Gas Relief Geltab

Mylaval

Mylicon

Mytab Gas

Pediacare Gas Relief

Pediacare Infant Gas Relief

Phazyme

Phazyme 125

Phazyme Maximum Strength

Phazyme Ultra

Phazyme-125 Softgels Maximum Strength

Phazyme-95

Rx-Act Gas Relief Extra Strength

SonoRx

Like Bosco said a few drops in a huge amount of wort. Meh, I don't worry. Heck it may even be good for countering your yeast farts. ;)

I don't worry about crap like this....I'm more concerned about a zombipocalypse than what little simethecone I'm ingesting in a 5 gallon batch of beer.

It's no worse than taking ANY anti gas pills or drops. It's simethecone. If you or your child take or have taken any of the following. All you really are ingesting, if any actually gets through the end of the process after being left behind in the trub of the boil kettle, the yeast layer of your fermenter and your racking into the bottling bucket or keg, is a highly highly highly dilluted amount.

Like Bosco said a few drops in a huge amount of wort. Meh, I don't worry. Heck it may even be good for countering your yeast farts. ;)

I don't worry about crap like this....I'm more concerned about a zombipocalypse than what little simethecone I'm ingesting in a 5 gallon batch of beer.

Gas drops aside how about the food industry. It's in:

French fries
Chicken nuggets
Fish fries
Some sodas
Frying oils
ALMOST anything where foam becomes a problem...Shampoos, soaps, dishwashing powders and on and on....

bosco

I accidentally dumped most of a 2 ounce bottle in a 12 gallon batch. (squeezed too hard, and the dropper-top popped off right into the brew)
Tasted fine, foamed and retained head fine, no ill effects after drinking the whole batch myself.

I'm still alive.

Yeah but you have 3 manboobs now. :)

Gas drops aside how about the food industry. It's in:

French fries
Chicken nuggets
Fish fries
Some sodas
Frying oils
ALMOST anything where foam becomes a problem...Shampoos, soaps, dishwashing powders and on and on....

bosco

didn't know that, but I'm not surprised. Thanks for the info.
I know a couple folks on here are freaked out about it. But you know, there's so many chemicals we're exposed to every day whether we like it or not. And most of it's pretty benign. I just can't worry about stuff like that any more. Either it will affect me or not, and I really have no control over it. And the benefits of that stuff, both in my gut (I take some form of anit-acid and anti-gas daily) and in keeping me from having boil overs to me outweigh the risks.

I accidentally dumped most of a 2 ounce bottle in a 12 gallon batch. (squeezed too hard, and the dropper-top popped off right into the brew)
Tasted fine, foamed and retained head fine, no ill effects after drinking the whole batch myself.

And you probably will never have yeast farts for the rest of your career as a homebrewer. :fro:

But you know, there's so many chemicals we're exposed to every day whether we like it or not. And most of it's pretty benign. I just can't worry about stuff like that any more. Either it will affect me or not, and I really have no control over it. And the benefits of that stuff, both in my gut (I take some form of anit-acid and anti-gas daily) and in keeping me from having boil overs to me outweigh the risks.

My mother always told me that "If you're born to hang, you'll never drown."

As a typical street urchin roaming the streets of Brooklyn back in the early fifties I can still smell and taste the fragrant mist of DDT that we ran through while chasing the trucks as they sprayed for mosquitoes.:eek:

I guess a little silicon can't hurt..LOL

bosco

Back