Any feedback on this recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robdamanii

Reaction score
Looking to do a nice, drinkable beer for summer, and thinking about the following recipe:

OG: 1.053
IBU: 25.1
SRM: 9.5
ABV: 5.5%

Mash in 3 gal at 150 for 90 min:
8.5lb UK pale 2 row
12oz rye malt
12oz crystal 60L
6oz flaked wheat

Sparge with 4.25 gal @ 168

90 minute boil
1 oz Saaz (4%) 90 min
1 oz willamette (5.5%) 10 min
1 tsp irish moss 15 min

Cool, pitch Wyeast American Ale.
Primary 6-7 days
Rack to secondary for 7 days
Bottle when fermentation complete with 3oz raspberry flavoring

Any thoughts on adjusting the grain bill, hop schedule or mash schedule?

It's just my experience but rye makes a dry beer and wheat tends to fill out the mouth feel. It seems IMO you might be at odds with yourself there. My go to summer is an english style bitter. Just 2 row with a little crystal and some honey malt with one of my favorite hops. UK = marris otter to me and it's a good malty grain why not accentuate that and make sure it's balanced?

I was sort of thinking the same thing, which is why I asked.

In that case, maybe just subbing a bit more rye and remove the wheat, use maybe maris in the recipe and call it good? The thing is I'm not too familiar with rye (just starting with it actually) so wanted a bit of advice.

Really just looking for a touch of dry raspberry flavor in the final beer.

Ok, revising has me with this (again, looking for dryer, with just a hint of fruit):

8 lb 2 row US
1.5 lb rye
.5 lb carapils
.5 lb crystal 60L

The rest as before. Should be a little more along the lines I'm looking for I'm thinking?

That looks good. I'd be interested to try it for sure. But just as another suggestion I love rye in my IPAs and it's my secret (not so much now) ingredient in my brown and honey brown. I use no more than 5%. For this recipe that's about a half pound.

Sounds great. I'll give it a go and see how it turns out. Much thanks for the help on straightening out the recipe (weird what you find online in places.)

Latest posts

Back