Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthPhillyBr3w3r

Reaction score
I currently have a NEIPA in my fermenter, bubbling happily. I added the first dry hop today, 48 hours after pitching yeast. I know double dry hopping is pretty standard procedure with these kinds of beers, and I was planning on doing the second dry hop once the beer has been transferred into the keg (I have a 200 micron stainless hop filter that surrounds my dip-tube). For a 6 gallon batch, would you recommend doing the bio-transformation dry hop in the fermenter and the second dry hop in the keg, or both biotrans and second in fermenter with a third dry hop in the keg?

I mentioned this in a different thread, but you can use hop extract as a dry hop addition. It is getting the oils as if getting the oils from the leafs. I know pro brewers are doing this, as i look for their extract carboys/ cans as I sniff around.

So here's what I have so far:
Dry Hop 1 (48 hours after pitch):
1.5 oz Ekuanot
1.5 oz Eureka
1.5 oz El Dorado
Dry Hop 2 (3 days later):
1.0 oz Ekuanot
1.0 oz El Dorado
1.25 oz Enigma
.25 oz Eureka

Planning on using whole cone Azacca for the keg hop. Should I do 2 or 3 oz for that?

I am clearly trying to go for a tropical fruit bomb. I am glad I made a 6 gallon batch, because this is a lot of hop material in the fermenter. Of course this week in Philadelphia has been in the 70's. Hopefully it cools off by next week so I can cold crash outside. Otherwise I will have to empty out my keezer for a night. While I don't think it will kill the beer in my kegs to be pulled out of the cooler for a night, I would prefer not to subject my finished beers to temperature swings.

So here's what I have so far:
Dry Hop 1 (48 hours after pitch):
1.5 oz Ekuanot
1.5 oz Eureka
1.5 oz El Dorado
Dry Hop 2 (3 days later):
1.0 oz Ekuanot
1.0 oz El Dorado
1.25 oz Enigma
.25 oz Eureka

Planning on using whole cone Azacca for the keg hop. Should I do 2 or 3 oz for that?

One thing that is repeated in a lot of these threads is to use fresh hops. Sometimes it is better to choose a hop bill based on your availability of what is freshest./available. Youll see smaller craft brewers doing this with their hop schedule, sometimes batch to batch or year to year. A reason i like the extract. But the oz look good, i dont think you can do too much in the keg, it will fade.

I finished the beer. It tastes fantastic, with a big tropical flavor and aroma, with some notes of cherry and some resin and pine to balance it out. I wasn't going for the really sweet, one note kind with only fruit flavors. I used whirlfloc in the kettle, and it dropped totally clear during the cold break, so I was a little concerned about getting the haze, but it looks amazing after the dry hop. I feel like if I had left out the whirlfloc, it would look muddy and have way too much protein (chewy). The mouthfeel is ideal for what I wanted, but I think someone critical may say it needs to be wetter to be true to style. I learned after brewing that a lot of the weight of CaCl2 is actually absorbed moisture, so I probably could have added more. Anyway.... here is a picture. It tastes very similar to Troegs' Blizzard of Hops, which is what I was shooting for. Here is a picture.
20180308_145834.jpg

I'm planning my first NEIPA with similar hops, so here are a ton of questions:
What did you do for your grainbill and hop bills prior to dry hop?
How did you handle transfers in regard to oxygen exposure?
How much of the Eurka pine/resin/dank comes forward, compared to say, simcoe?

I'm planning my first NEIPA with similar hops, so here are a ton of questions:
What did you do for your grainbill and hop bills prior to dry hop?
How did you handle transfers in regard to oxygen exposure?
How much of the Eurka pine/resin/dank comes forward, compared to say, simcoe?

Recipe available here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/snow-peak-ipa.645130/.

I have never used simcoe, but I am not getting TOO MUCH pine. Just enough. I may cut back a little on the Eureka next time, in favor of a little more mosaic, but its fantastic. As for xfers, I fill a keg with sanitizer, push it all out with co2, then go from my fermenter spigot into the bottom of the purged keg. I will then burp the keg a fair amount before leaving it be. Since I don't secondary, and the 1st 2 dry hops are added during active ferm, I don't worry too much about o2 until kegging. I have actually noticed better dry-hop results if I leave my hops exposed to air for a few hours before putting them into the keg. I think it was Stan Heironimus who said the hop oils will oxidize into a more soluble form if you do this.

Last edited:
Back