Amerikanisch Pale Ale - Tips and Advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two or three sources that I read stated that if I over-do it with Chinook hops, I'd end up some really harsh bitterness edging into cat litter.

Since this was my first time with the that hop and I am trying to avoid that, I figured I had better be conservative - but perhaps I am being overly-cautious?

Although I can't say I have noticed it, I like just a bit of that Simcoe cat pee dankness, so I have not worried should my chinook give a hint. Chinook for dankness and clean bitter with cascade to brighten it up just a bit. You can't go wrong.

If things go well, this weekend will be when I am going to brew this beer.

Looking through the thread, I see that I have been making things way too complicated; therefore, I am my goal is to simplify this within the parameters of my goals in time for BrewDay.

I have a label image in mind for this, and will post it as soon as I can; thanks to PhotoBucket, it is not as easy as it used to be.

More as it happens, etc. &c....

Ron

Here is the label that I created for this beer:

4K8eRRZ.jpg

I think I have an idea on what I will do that should be pretty good and stick to the goals that I have, which include a simple, no-frills, non-complicated recipe that is recognizable as an American Pale Ale while also representing my family and our home.

Since I will be using German Munich as part of the grain bill (representing my German heritage as well as the region in Germany where I was born), I'll go with Cascade for the hops (representing my wife's home county in Montana where she was born and grew up).

I've come up with a good grain bill, but there is one question about the hops, and I'd like some thoughts on it, if anyone is still reading this.

Regarding the bitterness, I'd like to keep the IBUs in the range of about 31, give or take a point. At the same time, I'd also like to experiment a bit with dry-hopping, and an APA would be a great beer with which to do so. The amount will be small (maybe 0.1 or 0.15 oz for a 1-gallon batch), so I figure I can't screw things up too much.

My question is, would Chinook (representing where we live now and where our "roots" have been established) be a good choice that will play well with the Cascade? Or, should I just dry hop with the Cascade?

Pros, cons and expectations on this would be appreciated. If I don't hear from anyone, I'll probably just go with Cascade, for the sake of consistency.

Thanks in advance -

Ron

I think I have an idea on what I will do that should be pretty good and stick to the goals that I have, which include a simple, no-frills, non-complicated recipe that is recognizable as an American Pale Ale while also representing my family and our home.

Since I will be using German Munich as part of the grain bill (representing my German heritage as well as the region in Germany where I was born), I'll go with Cascade for the hops (representing my wife's home county in Montana where she was born and grew up).

I've come up with a good grain bill, but there is one question about the hops, and I'd like some thoughts on it, if anyone is still reading this.

Regarding the bitterness, I'd like to keep the IBUs in the range of about 31, give or take a point. At the same time, I'd also like to experiment a bit with dry-hopping, and an APA would be a great beer with which to do so. The amount will be small (maybe 0.1 or 0.15 oz for a 1-gallon batch), so I figure I can't screw things up too much.

My question is, would Chinook (representing where we live now and where our "roots" have been established) be a good choice that will play well with the Cascade? Or, should I just dry hop with the Cascade?

Pros, cons and expectations on this would be appreciated. If I don't hear from anyone, I'll probably just go with Cascade, for the sake of consistency.

Thanks in advance -

Ron

Since dry hopping is largely for aroma (no IBU contribution as the beer is too cold to isomerize the alpha acids) I would go with just the cascade as they smell better to me. But if you like a bit of the dank, someone was smoking weed in here an hour ago, aroma then feel free to add the chinook. The aroma are different but I don't think they clash.

I made just a couple of small tweaks to bring the IBUS up a hair, and to keep the rest of the stats at "middle of the road" compliance with BJCP guidelines, and I think I am good to go.

My expected BrewDay is going to be this weekend; however, it is hunting season here in Montana, so this brew "might" be postponed. I expect no further changes to the recipe, but will post the final version when it is brewed, just in case.

Thanks to everyone for all of your assistance. I really couldn't have done this without you, and I am grateful.

Sunday, 18 February, I was - finally! - able to brew this beer. I am up to my neck in a busy week already, so I will keep it short; however, as far as I can tell, everything went very well with the brew and I encountered no difficulties that I can recall.

As soon as I can, I'll post the final recipe that was actually brewed. I'm pretty sure it is the same as the latest one posted here; but just in case it isn't, I'll add it for the record. The only major change that I can think of off the top of my head is that I eliminated the dry-hopping step, as I've tried a couple-three dry-hopped beers and simply wasn't impressed with the result.

Judging by what I saw, smelled and tasted during the brew, I think I've got some great things happening; I'll post more as events develop.

Ron

I just ran across this thread - pretty late in the game. I'll make two comments - maybe for future consideration.

First, I see you're very concerned about missing the bitterness. For me, it's always been sort of a guess as far as how much bitterness hop stand hops will contribute. This article covers this subject: https://alchemyoverlord.wordpress.com/2016/03/06/an-analysis-of-sub-boiling-hop-utilization/

Second, unless I missed it, nobody mentioned using all pale ale malt. For some time in the future, you might consider this. It gives a similar flavor to the traditional pale malt and crystal combo, but I think a little cleaner (maybe not the right word).

Hi, NC -

Thanks for the link; I'll definitely learn what I can from it, and appreciate your posting it.

I'll probably give that all pale ale malt a try before too long; I've used it before (with other grains) in a couple of other brews, including a grapefruit honey ale that is really nice. My main goal where was to mix elements of Montana (the 2 row was grown here) with Germany (the Munich is from there).

As promised, here is the recipe that was actually brewed - nothing fancy, just a good, simple, (hopefully) representative American Pale Ale that takes a bit of my German and Montana heritage into account:

Amerikanisch
American Pale Ale

1 Gallon

OG - 1.051
FG - 1.010
ABV - 5.41%
IBUs - 30.05
SRM - 5.35

29.25 oz. Montana-grown 2-Row
3.25 oz. Avangard Munich (15L)

60-minute mash @ about 154 degrees

60-minute boil

0.1 oz (2.6 g) Cascade Hops (7.25 AA) @ 60 minutes
0.125 oz (3.6 g) Cascade Hops (7.25 AA) @ 20 minutes
0.16 oz (4.6 g) Cascade Hops (7.25 AA) @ 5 minutes

1/2 pkg of Fermentis S-05 yeast

My temperatures have been up and down during this ferment, due to our chaotic weather and environmental factors within the home. We'll see how this turns out, but it currently looks and smells absolutely beautiful.

I bottled this beer last night. Thanks to some good fortune, I was able to get nine bottles with just enough left over for a small sample. the reason I credit this to good fortune is because one of my older sons did a little bit of unauthorized "sampling" right before I put the beer in to cold-crash.

The sample was great - the beer is a really nice, golden colour, and the aroma of the Cascade hops is about as perfect as one could ask for. There was also some malt character in the aroma as well, and I believe that this Munich malt was an excellent choice.

The beer is not yet carbonated, of course, but I was able to get a pretty good indication of how it will be from tasting the sample. From what I can see, the characteristics I mentioned vis a vis the aroma are going to be much the same in the taste, as well.

I elected not to go overboard with the hops on this, keeping them at 30 IBUs; having said that, it appears that the timing of the hops schedule (in the "recipe" above) worked out to give me exactly what I was hoping for: a beer that isn't an overly-bitter hop bomb, yet has some very nice aroma and flavours reflecting the hops.

Now, the wait begins - early indications are that I did well with this, and that I achieved exactly what I set out to do...but time will tell, for sure!

I was able to sample this beer on April 5th, and enjoyed it very much:

Y2tqAAg.jpg

This is a very good-looking beer, with a beautiful colour; I would prefer just a little more with the head, but it is still very young, so we will see what the future holds in a week or so.

It tastes great, which is what matters most! When I set out to create this beer, I wanted something that was classic and refreshing; not a hop bomb, but well-balanced. I believe that I achieved this here, as the play between the malts and the Cascade hops was wonderful; not too bitter, and not too sweet. This resulted in a refreshing, very drinkable beer that had some really nice malt character. Of the beers we sampled that night, it was by far the favourite.

CEciIMD.jpg

I'll try to get a little more detail the next time we enjoy this beer, but I'm thinking it is a success on the first try. If anyone wants to give this one a shot, I'd be interested in opinions.

Here is a photo from 21 April:

Ak6annV.jpg

It would have been much more clear, except for the fact that I had to drive on about 8 miles of bumpy dirt roads to get where I was, due to local flooding.

This is hands-down a great beer. It's got just enough malt character to be interesting, and just enough hops character to make it refreshing - no more, no less. I have tried several American pale ales since I first embarked on this journey, and at least half of them seem to be hop bombs that are right up there with IPA's; this is not the case here ~ it is well-balanced and simply great.

The American pale ales that I liked were well-balanced, as well, showing off this or that hop without kicking down any doors. That is what I was going for, and that is thankfully what I got. From what I can see, I reached my goals that I was working for when I started this project; it reflects me, who I am and what I am about - and it is also a very good beer. It looks great, it smells great, it tastes great, and I like it.

Nice looking label.

I'm curious by nature. I know that Schwarzmeer is the Black Sea, but I had never heard of the Schwarzmeer deutsch. So I had to look it up to find they are from the Ukraine. The only article (WIKI) I could find was in German, but I know enough to understand most of it. Interesting story.

I'd be interested in you posting an updated version of your recipe and maybe some notes on what you think would improve it.

I agree with Miraculix comment: "Amerikanisches Pale Ale". (
BTW: I have that same Smurf. I picked it up in the 70s when I lived in Germany).

Hi, guys, and thanks for the comments.

rmiller - I can thank Montana artist CM Russell for that beautiful image; it's of Lake McDonald in Glacier National Park, a favourite destination for The Beautiful Mrs. Tas and me.

Miraculix - I appreciate the correction - my future labels will be corrected! I want to get it right, so I am glad that you mentioned it. It did indeed turn out good; f you try it, I'll be interested in your thoughts on it.

homebrewer99 - I'm a direct descendant of that group, and have done some reading/learning about it. The town where my ancestors lived was called Sulz, and they came to Ukraine from Alsace and Bavaria. The town was eventually razed to the ground by Stalin, after World War 2, and from what I can tell, some relatives ended up in Siberia. A friend and I have compiled some information here, but it is mostly related to their foodways:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/germans-from-russia-in-the-dakotas_topic4336.html

Important note: It may have been "The Ukraine" back in those days, as a territory of the Russian Empire; but for the love of all that is holy, make sure you simply call it "Ukraine" today, as a sovereign nation. It's a pretty big deal to the folks who live there. If ever in doubt of which way to go, it is better to use "Ukraine" than "The Ukraine." I know that it might not seem like a big deal, but to them it is...very much so.

If anyone does try this, I'd be grateful for feedback. I found it to be a truly good, refreshing and tasty beer.

Last edited:
@homebrewer_99 - my apologies; I forgot to answer your questions here:

>>>I'd be interested in you posting an updated version of your recipe and maybe some notes on what you think would improve it.<<<

Here is the final recipe, as it was brewed:

Amerikanisch
American Pale Ale

1 Gallon

OG - 1.051
FG - 1.010
ABV - 5.41%
IBUs - 30.05
SRM - 5.35

29.25 oz. Montana-grown 2-Row
3.25 oz. Avangard Munich (15L)

60-minute mash @ about 154 degrees

60-minute boil

0.1 oz (2.6 g) Cascade Hops (7.25 AA) @ 60 minutes
0.125 oz (3.6 g) Cascade Hops (7.25 AA) @ 20 minutes
0.16 oz (4.6 g) Cascade Hops (7.25 AA) @ 5 minutes

1/2 pkg of Fermentis S-05 yeast

It is for 1 gallon, so multiply accordingly, if making a bigger batch.

As for improvements, I honestly believe it is at the point where any modification would be simply about personal taste or preference. I was worried about head retention; balance and other factors, but to be completely frank, it turned out nearly exactly as I was hoping it would. The only "improvement" that I can think of would maybe be to do a little work with the head; some torrified wheat or something might be the trick for this; but on the other hand, the back of my mind says, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." That little voice sounds a lot like my Black Sea German grandfather's, so....

Last edited:
I'm glad you explained it was only for 1 gal. You had me going there for a moment.

I've never made a 1 gal batch of anything. Multiply everything by 5...got it.

My bad, I had the migration (in my head) from Ukraine to Germany. I've been to the Alsace a few times and lived in Bavaria for 9 years.

Simple calculator math for your recipe :

Amerikanisches Pale Ale

OG - 1.051
FG - 1.010
ABV - 5.41%
IBUs - 30.05
SRM - 5.35

9# 2-Row Pale
1# Munich (15L)

60-minute mash @ about 154F
60-minute boil

0.5 oz Cascade Hops (7.25 AA) @ 60 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade Hops (7.25 AA) @ 20 minutes
0.8 oz Cascade Hops (7.25 AA) @ 5 minutes

1 pkg Fermentis Safale US-05 yeast

Last edited:
Aloha, I too have German Roots and I like to work w/them in brewing. I take a recipe for say and American IPA and then use only German ingredients. Malt, hops and yeast. I do the same for other ales such as Stouts. I've even made a German Imperial Stout. LOL I didn't read all 58 or so posts to this thread.
I do 2 gal BIAB batches producing 3 six packs.

Here is a photo from 11 May -

AkMmQWZ.jpg

This beer, with its super-simple grain bill and good balance of refreshing hops, might be one of the best beers I've ever brewed. I am sure that it is the same (or virtually the same) as many, many other APA recipes out there, but it is certainly going to be my "go-to" recipe for this style of beer. Everything about it is good, and the things that I liked about it the first time I tried it seem to have improved a little more with some time in the bottle.

All-around, a great beer - no complaints, and a lot of praise. If you have friends or relatives who are new to home-brewed beer or craft beer, this one will almost surely be enjoyed by them, and might open a door to some new adventures for them.

Ron

Well, this beer must be good indeed, because my #2 son decided to drink the rest of them without telling me. I'll be brewing another batch before too long, I'd say, and I do not plan to change anything about it.

Question for the German-speaking members: just to confirm, if I want to use "American" as both a Proper noun (the name of the beer) and an adjective ("American" as a descriptor), I should go with "Amerikanisches?" Please confirm, and I will change the label for future brews.

If anyone does try this, I'd like your impressions. It is not a hop bomb, popular as they are these days; but it did turn out exactly as I intended, so I love it.

Last edited:
Well, this beer must be good indeed, because my #2 son decided to drink the rest of them without telling me. I'll be brewing another batch before too long, I'd say, and I do not plan to change anything about it.

Question for the German-speaking members: just to confirm, if I want to use "American" as both a Proper noun (the name of the beer) and an adjective (the American quality), I should go with "Amerikanisches?" Please confirm, and I will change the label for future brews.

If anyone does try this, I'd like your impressions. It is not a hop bomb, popular as they are these days, but it did turn out exactly as I intended, so I love it.

Amerikanisches can be a noun and an adjective, so it sounds correct to me.

I did not like hop bombs any more. I like moderation. This one sounds really good to me.

Thank you, Miraculix ~ I appreciate the linguistic assistance, and would really like to hear your impressions on this beer, if you try it. :mug:

Thank you, Miraculix ~ I appreciate the linguistic assistance, and would really like to hear your impressions on this beer, if you try it. :mug:
I actually don't have to brew it.the grist is almost add my go to standard grist, sometimes I add the same amount of Munich as Vienna or a bit more Munich to it, but it differs not much. So I know this combination quite well. I also brewed a lot with cascade and I really like it, although I lately enjoy more of the noble hops than the American ones.

Long story short, I would really like the beer and I am 95% sure that I have the taste already made up in my head correctly.

I have such a big amount of hops and malt flying around,I really have to finish this before I start buying new stuff (cascade) :D

I actually don't have to brew it.the grist is almost add my go to standard grist, sometimes I add the same amount of Munich as Vienna or a bit more Munich to it, but it differs not much. So I know this combination quite well. I also brewed a lot with cascade and I really like it, although I lately enjoy more of the noble hops than the American ones.

Long story short, I would really like the beer and I am 95% sure that I have the taste already made up in my head correctly.

I have such a big amount of hops and malt flying around,I really have to finish this before I start buying new stuff (cascade) :D

Have you tried American noble-ish hops? Like Mount Hood? Last year I brewed several beers with Pilsner+Munich malt (IIRC, the typical ratio was 85:15) and various German yeasts. I used either all Mt Hood hops, or something like Sterling for bittering and Mt Hood for flavor and aroma.

I'm experimenting with Cascade and pale ale malt now, but I just bought another 4 ounces of Mr Hood (even tho' I have a freezer full of hops already) cuz I like it so much.

Have you tried American noble-ish hops? Like Mount Hood? Last year I brewed several beers with Pilsner+Munich malt (IIRC, the typical ratio was 85:15) and various German yeasts. I used either all Mt Hood hops, or something like Sterling for bittering and Mt Hood for flavor and aroma.

I'm experimenting with Cascade and pale ale malt now, but I just bought another 4 ounces of Mr Hood (even tho' I have a freezer full of hops already) cuz I like it so much.
I really thought about mt hood. I think I might have used it once, but only in a mix. It is definitely on my list of hops I want to try in a smash to see how it is. I am having two New Zealand nobleish hops in my freezer atm, so those will be used up first. I also have two or three packs of saaz which need to go before as well :D

... Saaz is my personal overall favorite. Cheap, good and... Good!

What NZ hops do you have? I'm trying to use up a pound of Dr Rudi that I bought 3 years ago. I like it, but a little goes a long way.

Also if you like Saaz, try Sterling. Very similar but much higher alpha; should be a good combo with Saaz, use the Sterling (or a mixture) for bittering and Saaz for flavor and aroma.

[apologies to TW for the sidetrack]

I
What NZ hops do you have? I'm trying to use up a pound of Dr Rudi that I bought 3 years ago. I like it, but a little goes a long way.

Also if you like Saaz, try Sterling. Very similar but much higher alpha; should be a good combo with Saaz, use the Sterling (or a mixture) for bittering and Saaz for flavor and aroma.

[apologies to TW for the sidetrack]
I got Motueka and Pacific gem. Both are quite nobleish, as far as I read about them.

Latest posts

Back