American Wheat Beer American Wheat Beer - 2nd place Best of show - 2011 HBT BJCP competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just made this and it's almost done fermenting. Should I rack it then cold crash it? Or just cold crash it?

Don't bother cold crashing it, its a wheat beer (cloudy). Just rack it to the keg or bottle it after a couple of weeks in primary. This beer is best young

So I made this recipe again because it was such a huge hit, but..... at the end of the brew I realized I had grabbed Crystal 10 instead of Munich 10 at the LHBS earlier in the week.

Anyone know how this will impact it? I don't understand malts well enough to know what final flavors will taste like and the subtle differences between different malts. So. C10 instead of Munich 10.. Thoughts?

This beer is pretty good, clears well naturally with a little extra time in the bucket. I enjoy it, and would recommend it. Thanks for sharing op. I followed the recipe from the first post incase there were any alterations.

1414637944771.jpg

I made this with wyeast 1010.
Aside from not enough carbonation, it turned out great, it's pretty similar to windmere bros hefe.

Brewed to recipe specifics, hit 1 point high and left 4 inches of head room in my 6.5 gallon bucket... and blew the top tonight. Fermenting at 65f. Whoa.

I'm thinking of doing this recipe and adding peach or mango to the mix somehow. I've never done a beer with fruit. Would a puree be good to add to this after fermentation or maybe at flameout right after the boil?

I'm thinking of doing this recipe and adding peach or mango to the mix somehow. I've never done a beer with fruit. Would a puree be good to add to this after fermentation or maybe at flameout right after the boil?

I think you want to add fruit in secondary. I'm thinking of using this recipe for a raspberry wheat one day, and I will let it ferment in primary first, then rack it onto the puree in secondary. Did you read the whole thread? I think this may be discussed somewhere back a few pages.

I think you want to add fruit in secondary. I'm thinking of using this recipe for a raspberry wheat one day, and I will let it ferment in primary first, then rack it onto the puree in secondary. Did you read the whole thread? I think this may be discussed somewhere back a few pages.

Ah, thank you. I only read a few pages, I will go back and look. Thanks again.

So i just put this brew in the keg. I followed the recipe. I had to pull a pint off to bleed the keg before setting up for serving pressure for the next few days.

One observation. This yeast has a very distinct aroma unlike any of the ale yeasts I've used (Mostly chico or london strains). Not sure I favor the aroma but the beer tastes very good. Can't wait to see what it's like in a week or so when it's had some time to settle. I didn't use whirfloc, cold crash or gelatin fine like I do with my beers because this was a wheat. Seems like the yeast dominate the beer here. Also this seems to be a very malt forward beer. I meat @ 17 IBU I guess that's what you'd expect. But I made beer and I've got a bit of a buzz now :eek:).

I have this beer in the keg right now, and it is very good. Thank you for the recipe. I find myself wanting to experiment with this a little though. Has anyone tried using Mosaic, Galaxy or any other fruity hop in place of the Centennial? I'm thinking about making this again soon with Mosaic. Any suggestions?

Brewing this today but modified the hops.

.50 of magnum
.50 of Centennial @ 10
1.50 of Centennial @ Flame Out.

I have this beer in the keg right now, and it is very good. Thank you for the recipe. I find myself wanting to experiment with this a little though. Has anyone tried using Mosaic, Galaxy or any other fruity hop in place of the Centennial? I'm thinking about making this again soon with Mosaic. Any suggestions?

I brewed this up with calypso and cascade. One of my most popular summer brews even among the bmc crowd

This is a wonderful beer.. Incredibly drinkable. I can see why it was well received.

I used WLP029 though... All that I could find.

do you think .5# of honey malt would work with this recipe? I'm new to all grain and not sure how it would interact with the munich.

do you think .5# of honey malt would work with this recipe? I'm new to all grain and not sure how it would interact with the munich.

Possibly but having tasted it, I'd hesitate changing anything about it.

Having said that. I did add some more hop character to mine.

Citra would be awesome with this beer in my opinion.

When I brewed this I added a smaller amount (~2.6%) of honey malt that I happened to have around. I can't say I noticed the honey malt per se but the beer was delicious.

I would suspect a .5# in a 5 gallon batch would be okay but if you're worried about it, maybe go with 4oz this time around and bump it up next time if you feel like it.

I brewed this back on Valentine's day, and bottled it March 20th. I had my first bottle about a week ago after a few days in the fridge, and it was still a little "green". I just had my second bottle as I sit here (brewing a Belgian Wit today), and the beer has now come into its own. What a great taste - crisp, very light citrus, and a nice wheat "tang". Thanks so much for the recipe!

HCBrewing, I have used the following hop additions for the last three years brewing this. I love how it turns out. .32oz Magnum (60 min), .28oz Centennial (10min), 1oz NZ Motueka (0Min). I also add .5lbs carapils to it. Probably brew this three times a year. It is a staple and practically jumps in my hand when the lawn is done being mowed.

Going to give this one a try very soon but using the White Labs Kolsch.

Just brewed this. I only hit gravity of 1.047 and did a 5.5 gallon batch. I'm sure that it'll still turn out nice.

I did a 10 gallon batch of this about 2 months ago. It's for the lake so I bottled all of it (98 bottles). It just finished its 2nd week in the bottle and it's already good to go!

Very nice crisp, refreshing beer. Surprisingly clear for a wheat. When it gets up to 105F here in Kansas this beer will be worth its weight in gold!

My modifications: I have a fairly advanced 10 gallon BIAB setup (multiple pulleys) using one of those new "brew bags". I did a step mash due to the wheat. Iodine test after I was done came out completely clear. Managed to hit a 1.052 OG.

My "brewery" is just a large shed in my backyard. I let it ferment at normal KS early spring weather in my Speidel 15.9 gallon fermentor. The temps were around 72F in the day and mid 40's at night. The shed stabilizes those temps some so it probably stayed around 60F, just a guess.

Did not secondary, went straight from the Speidel to the bottles. Used Coopers carb drops (they've never let me down).

With coopers drops in regular 12 oz bottles what do the volumes work out to. Must have been good for you. I'm wondering if the co2 would pop the bottles. I read wheat beers usually has heavier bottles to allow more carbonation

Not sure, when bottling I've been on Coopers soley since I had a few carbination issues with priming sugar. My O'Dea Castle Stout got a 42 and mini-BOS at the NHC and it was done with cooopers, got perfect points (3 I think) for carbination.

Just pulled my first glass out of the keg. Very malt forward to me and just a very slight citrus...almost not there. I also used white labs kolsch yeast. I only had 66% efficiency so maybe next time I'll mash longer. FG ended at 1.011. Overall it's very good!

View attachment 1432488003439.jpg

Wow. What an amazing recipe. Amazing fresh wheat ale flavor with a nice yeasty background. Subdued bitterness and a nice citrusy kick from the Centennial. Some of the compliments I've received so far:

"I could drink a gallon of this."
"This is the perfect session beer."
"I don't like wheat beers, but I like this one."
"Better than St. Francis Lust." (a hefeweizen from a local brewpub)
"You're getting really good at this."
"You should open a brewery!"

Also my first time kegging. Thank you so much for the recipe, I would not change a thing about it. I will be brewing this on a regular basis.

HCBrewing, I have used the following hop additions for the last three years brewing this. I love how it turns out. .32oz Magnum (60 min), .28oz Centennial (10min), 1oz NZ Motueka (0Min). I also add .5lbs carapils to it. Probably brew this three times a year. It is a staple and practically jumps in my hand when the lawn is done being mowed.

I think I'm going to do kind of what you have going on here minus the carapils. The store I buy my hops from doesn't have any Motueka yet so I think I'll use 1oz of Galaxy at the flame out.

I did the regular recipe and I think it needs some more citrus or fruit flavor.

Doing Galaxy at the end and an ounce for knockout. Mashed for 75 minutes so hoping for better than 65%.

I haven't gone through all the replies on this thread, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced noticeable diacetyl in this brew.

I used this recipe as a base, and added the zest of 8 blood oranges to the boil at 10 minutes, and the flesh of the oranges (after steeping in 190 degree water for 10 min) into the primary. On a side-note, unfortunately, all that work zesting oranges didn't really pay off. It has a slight orange aroma, but no orange flavor whatsoever.

I also used WLP029, instead of wyeast, fermented at 62 degrees for 12 days, and cold crashed for about a week then kegged.

My wife was the first to point out that the beer tasted like popcorn, and while I didn't notice it at first, when my palate is clean (first sip or after food), I can detect it too. Based on what I can find Kolsch yeasts aren't supposed to be big diacetyl producers, but now I'm wondering if I should have kicked this one up to 68 for a couple days, prior to the cold crash.

I haven't gone through all the replies on this thread, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced noticeable diacetyl in this brew.

I used this recipe as a base, and added the zest of 8 blood oranges to the boil at 10 minutes, and the flesh of the oranges (after steeping in 190 degree water for 10 min) into the primary. On a side-note, unfortunately, all that work zesting oranges didn't really pay off. It has a slight orange aroma, but no orange flavor whatsoever.

I also used WLP029, instead of wyeast, fermented at 62 degrees for 12 days, and cold crashed for about a week then kegged.

My wife was the first to point out that the beer tasted like popcorn, and while I didn't notice it at first, when my palate is clean (first sip or after food), I can detect it too. Based on what I can find Kolsch yeasts aren't supposed to be big diacetyl producers, but now I'm wondering if I should have kicked this one up to 68 for a couple days, prior to the cold crash.

I believe that it's the Munich malt and not diacetyl. I could be wrong but this beer also seems kind of like a malt bomb. I notice the same flavor from the Centennial Blonde.

Think i will give this one a try in the coming months.
I will sub citra at flameout bc I have that on hand and to give it a citrusy note.

I plan to make the move from extract to all grain this weekend and will attempt this recipe. I plan to swap out the Centennial hops for Galaxy hops. I'm considering a cleaner, less fruity yeast than Kolsch because of this. Any thoughts?

I plan to make the move from extract to all grain this weekend and will attempt this recipe. I plan to swap out the Centennial hops for Galaxy hops. I'm considering a cleaner, less fruity yeast than Kolsch because of this. Any thoughts?

I've been wanting to do this with Galaxy as well, just haven't had a chance yet. Was also thinking of using Wyeast 1272 which might be a good choice for what you want to do.

I've been wanting to do this with Galaxy as well, just haven't had a chance yet. Was also thinking of using Wyeast 1272 which might be a good choice for what you want to do.

Went ahead with Galaxy hops and the White Labs equivalent of 1272 (WLP051). Had a couple minor hiccups in my first all grain batch, but was overall pretty successful. Missed my target gravity by about 8 too low but I will adjust accordingly for my next batch.

Back