American Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VagabondBrew

Reaction score
Recently I have entered this beer with decent to great results. Each judge/s all have their own opinion on what they would rather see so its been hard to gauge. I have gotten as high as 39 and as low as 29. Pretty good range. The main thing that stands out is everyone wants more complexity towards the beer. I am not sure if there is really anything worth changing on the grain profile other than possibly removing the cara-pils but otherwise it might come to hops or something else...

Here is what I have been reworking and not sure where to go for more complexity. Let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions.

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Est Original Gravity: 1.051
Est Final Gravity: 1.011
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.3%
Bitterness: 32.3 IBUs

Mash @ 152F for 60min
Boil Time: 60 min

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 69.6 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 13.0 %
1 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 3 13.0 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 4 4.3 %

0.50 oz Centennial [10.80 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 16.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Centennial [10.80 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 6 11.8 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 7 -
0.50 oz Cascade [7.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 3.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [7.00 %] - Aroma Steep 0.0 min - Hop Back
1.0 pkg American Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #WLP060) [50.28 ml]

One simple way to add complexity is to change the crystal malts a tiny bit. Say, 1/2 crystal 20L and 1/2 crystal 60L. Or, since you're using 13%, use 10% crystal 40L and 3% 80L crystal. That adds a real depth of flavor to a beer, and it is super simple.

You have Munich malt in there already, but you could try increasing the amount or adding some victory malt. A little victory malt goes a long way, so as little as 8 ounces would work. If you want to, you could remove the carapils.

As for the hopping, I like the "traditional" hopping of FWH/15/5/0 for APAs. I would move the 30 minute hop addition since you get very little flavor from it, and not much bitterness. I'd probably increase the bittering (FWH) to .75 ounces, and then take the 30 minute addition and use it at 5 minutes. Other than that, I really like the looks of your recipe!

One simple way to add complexity is to change the crystal malts a tiny bit. Say, 1/2 crystal 20L and 1/2 crystal 60L. Or, since you're using 13%, use 10% crystal 40L and 3% 80L crystal. That adds a real depth of flavor to a beer, and it is super simple.

You have Munich malt in there already, but you could try increasing the amount or adding some victory malt. A little victory malt goes a long way, so as little as 8 ounces would work. If you want to, you could remove the carapils.

As for the hopping, I like the "traditional" hopping of FWH/15/5/0 for APAs. I would move the 30 minute hop addition since you get very little flavor from it, and not much bitterness. I'd probably increase the bittering (FWH) to .75 ounces, and then take the 30 minute addition and use it at 5 minutes. Other than that, I really like the looks of your recipe!

+1. You could also consider swapping the 2-row out in whole or in part with another base grain (MO, GP, Vienna, etc)

Changed the typo to 152F for Mash.

Good suggestions on the crystal. After I posted I started playing with the idea of using 2 crystals. Also I will look more at the FWH. I will just have to adjust everything to still hit 30 - 33 IBUS

I will look at the other suggestions and hop schedule. Its definitively not at its best currently. Its been hard finding a good balance between malt and hops along with lingering bitterness or just large bitterness overwhelming the beer and not getting much of any malt.

I used 0.50lbs of victory malt the 3rd time I brewed it to see if it would change anything and didn't notice a difference.

Again thanks, I do like discussing changes like this :)

Its been too hoppy or just right on for their tastes oddly enough. Mostly either I was on style and great example or they wanted less hoppyness and more balance and complexity with the malts.

It tends to have a good bitter finish which I almost want to mellow out personally

Back