Amber Ale Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popsicleian

Reaction score
I'd like to brew a malt-forward, not very hoppy amber for my wife. I was playing around in Brewers Friend and came up with the recipe below. I'm still a relative novice, and I've never designed a recipe of my own before, so I'd like some feedback on how it looks.

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American Amber Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 3 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 4 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.040
Efficiency: 60% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.010
ABV (standard): 5.68%
IBU (tinseth): 22.65
SRM (morey): 13.94

FERMENTABLES:
5.25 lb - American - Vienna (67.7%)
1.25 lb - American - Munich - Light 10L (16.1%)
0.5 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (6.5%)
0.5 lb - American - Victory (6.5%)
0.25 lb - American - Carapils (Dextrine Malt) (3.2%)

HOPS:
0.4 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: First Wort, IBU: 11.74
0.35 oz - Cascade, Type: Pellet, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 8.42
0.4 oz - Willamette, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 2.48

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 81%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 54 - 77 F

Thanks in advance!

Also contemplating cutting the Crystal 60 down to .25 and adding .5 lbs of Crystal 40. Any thoughts on that?

I haven't really seen any other Amber recipes that rely primarily on Vienna/Munich, so I don't know if this is really worth pursuing. I think it would accent a lot of the elements I really like in an amber (toasty/bready), though, and minimize the caramel/toffee notes, which are often a little too strong for my taste.

Also contemplating cutting the Crystal 60 down to .25 and adding .5 lbs of Crystal 40. Any thoughts on that?

I haven't really seen any other Amber recipes that rely primarily on Vienna/Munich, so I don't know if this is really worth pursuing. I think it would accent a lot of the elements I really like in an amber (toasty/bready), though, and minimize the caramel/toffee notes, which are often a little too strong for my taste.

I'd be tempted to leave the crystal amount at 6.5% and perhaps go with C80 instead of C40 or 60. It adds a nice complex raisiny flavor without being sweet at all.

I decided to make this last night, and I ended up sticking with my original recipe, which a couple of minor changes:

--I did a single infusion, full volume, no sparge mash, and ended up with efficiency around 66-67%, so my OG was around 1.059-60.
--I mashed at 152, but by the time it was done It was down to 148. It was my first time using a cooler mash tun, and even though I wrapped it in towels and a sleeping bag I think maybe my lid wasn't on all that tight. I'm not too worried, since it started at a decent temp.
--I used a little bit of the dregs of a bag of Horizon hops along with the Cascade in the FWH addition--I split it so the overall IBU contribution was the same. I also bumped the 15 min Cascade addition to .4 oz. With the increase OG my IBUs ended up around 22--a little low for the style, but that's kind of what I was going for anyway.
--Directly pitched WLP-001 slurry that I harvested 3 days ago instead of the US-05.

I tasted a bit of the wort after chilling, and it had all the flavor notes I was hoping for--nice and bready. If it turns out decent, I'll post it in the recipe section.

I'm thinking of brewing something like this this weekend.. how did it turn out?
Thanks!

I'm thinking of brewing something like this this weekend.. how did it turn out?
Thanks!

My wife didn't mind it, but I didn't think it was very good. Way too malty. If I was doing it again, I'd probably drop the Victory entirely, and either use Vienna as the base malt with no Munich, or use plain 2 row plus Munich.

Back