Amarillo v. Centennial Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MEPNew2Brew

Reaction score
I am settling in on a grain bill for my IPAs that I like:

77% 2 row
17% vienna
3% dextrine
3% crystal

It is the malt bill running around for one of the Two Hearted Ale clones. I really like it.

I have brewed it once or twice with all Centennial hops (as per Two Hearted). But, I have a pound of Amarillo that has been in the freezer since last year that I'd like to start using.

I really liked the last batch I did with this grain bill and all Centennial and have really liked my other all Centennial brews. Hops were 31 IBUs at 60, and about 23 more starting at 15 mins.

How will an all Amarillo brew compare? Should I just go for all Amarillo or about 50/50? I understand it is all personal preference. But, for those with experience - how do the two hops compare?

Thank you in advance for the input.

I LOVE amarillo hops!

Centennial is floral and citrusy, while amarillo is pure citrus.

I really love both all centennial and all amarillo hopped beers, and think you'd enjoy that grainbill with all amarillo as well!

You will not regret going with the Amarillo. The more the better

I made an all-amarillo IPA that I couldn't drink for 2 months. It was like grapefruit juice.

But then the super-grapefruity amarillo calmed down and it was really nice, more like tropical fruits.

Still, I would never do it again. IMO, amarillo is best combined with other hops.

Here's a thread I created with a bunch of random Amarillo comments. Also, since I see I never posted the recipe in that thread, here is what I made.

Too much Amarillo Dry-Hop: A Cautionary Tale

rye ipa.jpg

Amarillo can be a harsh bittering hop. I, personally, don't mind it. But I prefer the bitterness of my IPAs to be a bit on the harsher side.

Back