Am I the only person on this forum who likes beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it should be framed as "can you appreciate all beer?" or something like that. I don't like Miller or Bud because to me the off flavors or lack of flavor is over(under)whelming. But I can appreciate every every beer that decently made with good ingredients. I will drink one of anything and appreciate it as long as it's good even if it's not my preference.

brian_g, you are an awesome guy. I'll admit to not liking certain styles and complaining about the BMC beers. If those account for 80% (guess) of the beer in our country, then I guess I only like 20% of the beers available. I think it is absolutely cool that you are as happy with miller as 3 philosophers. I think I need to strive for the same contentment myself. Thanks for your post.

Now let's not over do it. I didn't say that I liked all beers equally. I think 3 Philosophers is a much more enjoyable beer then Miller. Having the choice, I'd go with 3 Philosophers any day of the week. However, preferring 3 Philosophers doesn't prevent me from enjoying a lite beer, especially if it's free.:D

To the OP:
hmmm.... do you like morbidly obese women? Do you like crack whores? Do you like playboy models? Do you like anorexic women?

If you say no to one of these, then (following your logic) I guess you dont like women at all, because you're differentiating, as I choose to do with my beer. Its a free country.

Edit: sorry, I know I was way late to the party, but the original statement is... flawed

I love women but believe me there are some that I wouldn't even go near. Llike beer, there are some that are just plain nasty, skanky, skunky and downright crazy or infected :cross:

This says it for me. Well done.

The only example of a beer that I absolutely can't drink is Tecate. It actually smells like Mexico...

This argument sound alot like my brothers-inlaws view. They basicly just think they dont like different beers because other people tell them they suck.
1 of them will only drink bud light.
the other one will only drink miller light. If you dont have the right one they will just drink water instead.
But, I always have a 1/4 barrel on tap for when they come over. Its Either Blatz or Hamms because its way cheaper.
But I just leave the plastic cover from either Bud light or Miller light on the bench where they can see it and they dont think twice about it because they think they are drinking what they want.
I am not saying that you aint gonna tell the difference between Honkers ale or London Porter from a Bud, but Cmon, beer is beer.

@ brian_g: Wow, very well said, I feel the exact same you do. I have a coworker who LOVES Bud Light but would never think of drinking Miller Lite. Really? Seriously?

To beer!

I find it amusing how particular people can be about the what beer they like.

While that's an interesting thought, you should work on how you phrase it. When you put forth your argument as essentially "you people are so narrow minded that you hate 9,999 beers out of 10,000" you're not going to get much productive discussion.

Maybe that's the problem, you folks are drinking it too fast.

There you go again... so we're narrow minded, and we don't know how to properly taste beer. Do you have any other awesome pearls of wisdom to share, oh great sage of brewing? Do we all suck at making beer too, since we can't properly taste it?

While that's an interesting thought, you should work on how you phrase it. When you put forth your argument as essentially "you people are so narrow minded that you hate 9,999 beers out of 10,000" you're not going to get much productive discussion.

There you go again... so we're narrow minded, and we don't know how to properly taste beer. Do you have any other awesome pearls of wisdom to share, oh great sage of brewing? Do we all suck at making beer too, since we can't properly taste it?

I'm just having some fun here. We're not debating gay marriage. Were just talking about beer. I've enjoyed hearing others comments, even their sarcasm. Don't take things to seriously.

I had a Coors light once; it was okay. I thought I wouldn't enjoy it, but it went down easily enough. It didn't offend, but it wasn't an incredibly beautiful experience. Therein lies the problem. Beer can be an incredibly beautiful experience.

My attitude to beer is similar to Henry David Thoreau's attitude to literature "Read the best books first".

I will drink only excellent beers (unless it's my homebrew, then I'll drink 5 gallons of nigh undrinkable slop), when I've tried all of them, I'll move onto the very good beers, and so on.

I say I like sex. But I don't want to have sex with men, children, animals, old ladies (Not again, any way) or vegetables.

I guess that means I don't like sex.

I've tried at least 1,000 different beers by now. I've had everything from Miller High Life to Cantillon Fou Foune to Speedway Stout. I have to say that I don't care if I ever drink about 50 of them again (most anything light, dry, ice, etc.), and most I would say yes to without a doubt. I'll never apologize for having a discerning palate. Homebrewed beer has led to a proliferation of many amazing breweries and I am glad I don't have to drink **** beer anymore.

Now let's not over do it. I didn't say that I liked all beers equally. I think 3 Philosophers is a much more enjoyable beer then Miller.

Your original premise was that in order to like "beer", you had to like all styles equally. You yourself are now saying you have certain preferences towards particular beer styles. Using your original logic, then....since you don't like all beers equally, then you must not like beer.

How descerning (or how picky) someone is about beer doesn't mean that they don't like beer. Maybe one person who drinks beer only likes one particular style, yet they love it so much, they drink it all the time. Does that mean they don't like beer if another person who doesn't have a favorite will try any beer occasionally?

I am glad I don't have to drink **** beer anymore.

At risk of getting flamed a bit, +1. I don't like **** beer either. Of course I drank **** for years and really didn't know it was poo until I was enlightened.

I like good beer. Good iterations of any style are the bees f*cking knees as far as I'm concerned. I like certain styles, on the whole, more than others (BDSA more than Kolsch, for example), but I'll still take a good example of a kolsch over a bad example of a BDSA any day.

So, do I like all beer? No. Do I like good beer? Yes. If you can tell me that you'll choke down a sixer of some Magic Hat tripe just because it's "beer", I'll know you're lying before you even say it. The one time I had Steel Reserve, it gave me an asthma attack...oh, but it's "beer", you say!

What guy doesn't like *****? Does it matter if it's big pasture fresh roast beef, smelly, drippy, sore ridden, spoiled fish, etc? I mean it's still ***** right? I mean, if a buddy offered you some slightly tainted *****, would you turn it down just because you are the EAC of *****?

+1 for good beer.

No way am I going to go all Bear Grylls and down a Cave Creek just cause it's there. The OP was way to general in his statement and has even contradicted himself.

All generalizations are dangerous, even this one.
-- Alexandre Dumas

Yes! I've got NAMBLA, Bear Grylls, Cave Creek Chili Beer, and Alexandre Dumas in one thread. With my free space, I win Tangental Reference Bingo!!!

But, my homemade spaghetti sauce is killer. It's designed to my taste, my preferences, with homegown basil, garlic, onions, and tomatoes. My beer is the same way.

Your beer has homegrown basil, garlic, onions, and tomatoes?

Pardon me...but yuck I guess I don't like beer after all

99% of the beer produced is probably mass-produced BMC swill. It's the 1% (ok, probably closer to 5%) of the beer produced that i like. I'm sorry, but craft beer has ruined me for american adjunct lager. I can drink a PBR or a Bud Light every now and then, but the only time i "love" it is when it's free. And even then I can only have a couple.

I've discovered that I would much rather have one or three "good" craft beers rather than a twelve pack of swill. Even if it's free. Maybe I would've thought differently in my college days when it was all about gettin' crazy f'd up.

And to say that i don't love beer would be untrue. Right now I am dreaming of that La Chouffe and Ommegang Hennepin that i will be purchasing on Friday. On the other hand, I still haven't developed a taste for super hoppy DIPAs and IPAs.

OK, so maybe I'm obsessed with beer, but I definitely LOVE making beer!

Obviously you've never bored a hole into a squash. You don't know what you are missing. I wouldn't recommend potatoes though, they are the BMC of sex vegetables.

You're the first person to make it into my signature, congratulations :off:

I'm with you, I am a BEER LOVER! I like some better than others but like em all! That is why I got into homebrewing because of my love for beer. I have noticed that there are many snobby people who look down on many beers. I would rather drink a craft brew over BMC but enjoy drinking that BMC when it is given to me or when no craft brew is available.

I would never pass up any beer offered to me! Does this make me an alcoholic, or just a beer lover? By the way I drink alot I mean alot of beer, everyday. My dad religiously drinks Milwaukee's Best Ice cause it is cheap and high in alcohol. I always have a few when visiting. While its not my favorite choice in a beer I drink it and have actually grown to like it! When I go to my buddies houses or coworkers its always BMC, I don't mind drinking them. I just love beer and am not a beer snob. If I were to drink a craft brew every time I wanted a beer I would be broke and homeless. That is why I home brew!!!

First I don't just like beer I love it. And I respect it greatly, and I appreciate it when beer is afforded the care and love it deserves... that does not include mass production or cost-cutting large-scale techniques.

Also by not enjoying many if any of the "BMC"'s out there, it doesn't mean I don't appreciate 99% of beer. Rather, 99% of beer out there represents 1% of the beer styles available. So you have it backwards I think.

Don't care if its being a snob or not, I am picky and I can always explain exactly why to who I am drinking with.

I promised myself I wasn't going to post in this thread again, but I just can't seem to help myself. It's like a bad accident - you don't want to look, but you get drawn in.

If someone offers me a beer, be it craft or BMC, I'll graciously accept. Not because it's free, but because it's a gesture of friendship and comraderie and that in itself is pretty damn special. I find American Light Lager positively revolting, but I'll whack one back with my mates anytime. Some of my teammates are members of the PBRmy - live and breathe the stuff. An ice cold can of PBR just hits the spot when coming off the rugby pitch. But if I have an option between PBR and Smooth Hoperator, the choice is clear.

I like good beer - but sometimes even the most pedestrian swill tastes pretty damn good in the right time and place. But you'll never see this rugger whacking back Mickey's or Olde English. Ever.

There certainly enough hopheads out there to make one wonder. And I'm certain we all know the "I only drink ____. types".

I have preferences and there are definitely beers I wouldn't drink again.

I just had a thought - why is is OK for BMCers to not like my style of beer and refuse to drink it, but I am supposed to smile and choke down their crap? Screw them and their fizzy yellow corn juice. I've had my last.

Luckily, my friends all have good taste in beer.

"I like beer" =
  • I like all kinds of beer, from Bud, to Bud light, to Bud Select.

"I'm a beer enthusiast" =
  • I understand the different beer styles brewed around the world.
  • I've tried many of them and there are few that I wouldn't enjoy again.
  • I might not have a hankering everyday for a banana laden hefe, but I do appreciate it's flavor and unique heritage enough to drink another when the occasion rises.
  • I will never refuse to try a new beer style or recipe for the sake of learning.
  • If beer stopped having alcohol tomorrow but still tasted the same, I'd continue to drink it.
  • I appreciate what Schlitz did bringing back their 1960's all malt recipe and love it that beer.

Cousin Eddie likes beer.

cousineddie.jpg

Back