Am I going to be late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorerm04

Reaction score
So I was wanting to start a hop garden this year and had plans to. I now am moving the first of may (SW OH). I have. Perfect place to grow, a big elevated porch that I can run twine up to, and lots of sunlight. I was hoping to get to harvest some hops this year. If I shop and plant 1st week of May, am I going to be too late to put in, and am I going to be able to find crowns for sale still?

In the North East you would be a week or two early at May 1. I would have to be believe you would be right on time. Great Lakes Hops, for instance, wrote a note that they will update their varieties for sale on April 20.

Ok awesome! This is what I was wanting to hear... I wanted to order crowns the last week of April so that I can have them in by the end of the first week of may... I figure everything is a little behind schedule since we have had such a long winter

If you can pre-order or otherwise reserve crowns now, I'd definitely do it. "Updating the varieties for sale" near the end of April may simply mean crossing off everything that is no longer available...

Cheers!

I'm going to give Great Lake Hops a call tomorrow and see what they are looking like as far as the end of April.

Last year I planted my crowns from Great Lakes the last week of JUNE. We had a horrendous heat wave immediately following my planting and I still got 12 ft or so of growth and a small first year harvest. This year is gonna be much better with a full season and established root systems.

I say go for it. And I second Great Lakes.

Do fill us in on Great Lakes Hops says about availability. I remember last year they had a much greater varieity at this point in time.

I got some from great lakes in middle of july last year and they grew to 12+ feet in cincinnati (with that heat wave). I didn't get any hops.

Back