surviving in an alcohol soaked environment - self examination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Owly055

Reaction score
I have been drinking legally for almost 40 years... Drinking age was 18 when I moved to Montana in 1973 at age 18, and I'd been secretly brewing and drinking for 3 years before that.

During the time I've lived in and around small towns (most of my adult life), alcohol has been deeply rooted in the culture. The people I associate all drink more or less, and all social events except religious ones (which always avoid) involve alcohol to a greater or lesser extent.

I've always been hyper aware of the potential of developing a problem / habit, and never wanted a monkey on my back, so with a few "excursions" beyond my "comfort zone", I've been extremely conservative. Conservative to the extent of limiting myself to one or two drinks in an evening out, and avoiding making that a daily ritual.

The last couple of years, I've been outside that comfort zone, drinking virtually every day... at least one or two drinks, often at home alone in the evening, or one at lunch, or even a breakfast beer. I virtually always hold things down below the "buzz level" or to a very light buzz, as I prefer not to physically feel the alcohol, but I really don't think that this is relevant as far as "habit forming" is concerned.

I've completely stopped consuming alcohol... for about a week now, to give my body a rest and to take stock of my relationship with alcohol. I plan to stay on this track for at least a month or two, though I have two brews going at the moment, and a considerable stock of beer and some whiskey on hand.

Thus far things are going well, and I have felt no compelling need for a beer or a shot of whiskey, etc, though there is a problem of what to drink. Coffee, water, what else? Hence the foray into non-alcoholic brews.

The effects of alcohol on me are in three stages essentially. I can't speak for anybody else.

1: No discernible physical effect, but a relaxing of stresses and inhibitions. Classic example of this are playing pool. After one beer, I am very good at it... at my peak, after 2 things start going down hill. Driving is the same. In a high stress driving situation, I'm sharper, less stressed, and more focused, and my reflexes are just as quick, and a tad smoother. I often stop for one beer when dealing with horrendous winter driving conditions..........never more than one.

2: Buzzed. After about 2 beers, I feel a discernible "buzz", and physical and cognitive abilities begin to decline, reflexes and focus deteriorate, and reactions are less measured and controlled. The buzz is progressive, as is the deterioration that goes with it.

3: Drunkenness. Drunkenness is obvious to others.... thoughts are no longer expressed rationally and clearly, motor coordination is obviously reduced, speech slurred, whirling sensation, etc. There definitely is going to be a hang over. This is low level alcohol poisoning.

I like level one, and find it very useful. I dislike level 2, and avoid it to the extent of spacing drinks out, and if away from home never having more than two. If I can feel it, I've gone too far. I dislike level 3 intensely, and it's been about 25 years since I've been there.

Alcohol-ism is something all of us who drink and/or homebrew should concern ourselves with......... Our own potential for it, and the problems of those around us, and how we could end up in their shoes. I've lost a string of longtime friends to alcohol related accidents over the years. All of them drank too much, and knew they drank too much, as did everybody around them. They were good people without exception, family people, decent caring people, not stupid slobbering drunks, just people who once in awhile had a few too many. I can tick off their names, and the names of their widows or widowers and children. Their names are not carved into a black granite wall somewhere unfortunately. Mine will never be one of them, simply because I do not drive if I've had more than one or two, spaced out over a few hours. That has always been my policy, and always will.

Taking stock of your relationship with alcohol is something I believe in doing periodically, and have done a number of times when the alarm bells start going off. Who's in the driver's seat in your life? You or "Jack Daniels" as the saying goes?

H.W.

it's good you're stepping back to evaluate the situation. to me that sounds like you don't have a problem

for me, I started drinking in my early teens, but stopped due to a one-time overindulgence. didn't start back up until my mid-twenties with my enlistment in the navy.

but even then, and throughout my 30s and 40s, during my heavy drinking days, it never got out of hand, due to my simple, self-enforced rule of never drinking two days in a row. I figured as bad as I feel with a hangover, drinking to feel better is the first step on the road to it becoming out of control

and it never has

I'm with you Owly55. I almost NEVER have more than one drink when I'm out and about. At home, I almost never have more than one pint of my homebrew cider, partly because I know it's as strong as a strong beer (8%+ ABV) and partly because, like you, I don't like feeling "drunk." More than one drink of my homebrew and I definitely feel it!
Just FWIW, I haven't had a drink in several days, partly because I just started some antibiotics and I know it's going to wreak havoc with my GI tract, and I prefer not to enhance that effect with alcohol. :)

Sounds like you can objectively look at your situation, no problem with that! Working in sales I have to watch myself as we have to entertain client who often like to drink a lot, and when it's on the company dime it's easy to over induldge.... That said I feel being able to control my own behavior and look at it objectively help prevent me from having a problem. On the flip side there are times I go a couple of weeks without drinking at all and I never feel the urge to have one, that always gives me peace of mind that I am in check.

I enjoy the rum and coke and was getting where I was having several a night. Light buzz. Now that I have gotten in to brewing I have cut back the rum to maybe a couple on the weekend and I do have a beer a night, usually less than a pint because with having so much on tap it can be easy to over due it and to start making it a habit. Having too much daily can easily become the norm and it is good you realized that before it got too much out of control.

The fear of being an alcoholic or developing a dependency on alcohol is a common theme that comes up every so often on homebrew related forums.

Most often the person is aware of their consumption and fear drives them to test their dependency by halting consumption for a period of time.

This is a healthy behavior and demonstrates that the person is in control.

Often times the acts of halting consumption all-together and/or quitting/suspending the homebrew hobby follow this demonstration of control.

I experienced the same fear after having brewed for 2 years. I have not brewed beer since October of 2014 and have not had an alcoholic drink since, though I do still participate in the various forums as a means of sharing the knowledge I had gained and supporting those who choose to quit or test their dependency. Though my fear proved to be unfounded I chose to err on the side of caution.

I also take a break periodically just to feel like I can let my body get rid of any accumulated toxins. A few if times a year I will just take a week or two off. I also sing in a few different groups and usually have a couple of rehearsals or gigs every week. I have a rule that I don't have any alcohol at least 12 hours before a rehearsal or gig so it serves as a kind of self regulation. However you do it, I think it's a good idea to assess every now and then.

Alcoholism is a....strange beast. I have it in my family tree, on the maternal side, and none I'm aware of on the paternal side.

I take after the paternal side--I have similar physical attributes, and I can either take alcohol or leave it. It doesn't beckon to me like it does to alcoholics, like it does to family members whose physical attributes and reaction to alcohol take after the maternal side.

I'm a firm believer in a genetic predisposition. There is research evidence, of course, but when I look at my family it's clear as day. I have a sib who is alcoholic, who takes after the maternal side; when they finally figured out the control alcohol had over their life, they quit it, and have been sober for going on 20 years. That impresses the hell out of me, as I cannot understand what that predisposition must be like.

Like others above, I test from time to time. I hearken back to health advice I've seen over the years, everything in moderation. One or two drinks or beers a day may even have value. And there are antioxidants in beer that are helpful. Here's an article discussing the benefits:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...re-toasting-for-health-beer-may-be-a-good-bet

I had an observation the other day. I had a cold and lost my sense of taste and smell. Took a sip of beer, couldn't taste it and thought "What's the point?" and then had no beer until taste and smell came back a couple days later.

I found that comforting in that I don't need the buzz, I drink beer because I absolutely love the taste of it.

Alcoholism is a....strange beast. I have it in my family tree, on the maternal side, and none I'm aware of on the paternal side.

I take after the paternal side--I have similar physical attributes, and I can either take alcohol or leave it. It doesn't beckon to me like it does to alcoholics, like it does to family members whose physical attributes and reaction to alcohol take after the maternal side.

I'm a firm believer in a genetic predisposition. There is research evidence, of course, but when I look at my family it's clear as day. I have a sib who is alcoholic, who takes after the maternal side; when they finally figured out the control alcohol had over their life, they quit it, and have been sober for going on 20 years. That impresses the hell out of me, as I cannot understand what that predisposition must be like.

Like others above, I test from time to time. I hearken back to health advice I've seen over the years, everything in moderation. One or two drinks or beers a day may even have value. And there are antioxidants in beer that are helpful. Here's an article discussing the benefits:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt...re-toasting-for-health-beer-may-be-a-good-bet

I've always held that moderation itself also needs to be practiced in moderation. Moderation practiced to excess leads to mediocrity.

H.W.

Not wanting to read this probably means I have a problem and not a literacy one.

But in all seriousness the best and worse decision I've made since brewing was having delicious homebrews on tap. Before that I didn't have anywhere to cold condition my beers so drinking had to be planned if I wanted to get a few bottles into the fridge for a condition phase before drinking. Now I can pull a small bit from a keg over and over.

I now have to practice a lot of self discipline but unfortunately now there's a little bit of guilt involved when I allow myself my twice a week to come home after a stressful and sometimes unproductive day and enjoy the fruits of a successful brew.

I must add that I suffered (and enjoyed) about 10 years of a pretty nasty drug (any of them) habit.

I sometimes justify my once a month splurges of drinking a bit more than i should with the thought that "at least I'm not still doing what I did in the past" but in reality some of the drugs I've used in the past were far from as damaging as alcohol can be and the fact that alcohol consumption is condoned and celebrated in my culture certainly makes it acceptable to be a drunk.

I will maintain my path of practicing restraint but I do fear that someday my passionate hobby of homebrew ing may interfere with my goal of not letting substances control my life ever again.

This has been on my mind a lot lately. I have a past with drug addiction. It's been over 20 years since I've done any drugs but lately I find myself drinking more then I'm really comfortable with.I have a CDL so I don't ever drive after even one beer. But I really enjoy making beer but I do need to take a break from drinking it so much. I want to continue to brew and store the beer in kegs for special events and not have it on tap for daily consumption.

That's a good idea.

I made some mistakes with my other passion which is playing guitar in a progressive rock band. I've been passionately doing this for 20 years however recently it turned from a thing of passion into a business and it all but killed the passionate side of things for a few members of my long running band.

I'm very cautious to not allow this same thing to happen with my brewing.

There has to be a pretty good reason for me not to drink at least one, often two beers in the evening. Which my doctor thinks is o.k. because I don't tell her what the OG is.

Last night I had one small glass of wine because I seemed to be coming down with a cold and didn't want to waste any good homebrew.

I can quit any time I want, it just so happens that I really love good beer. Unless it damages your health or your lifestyle or relationships, rock on.

It's actually quite frustrating to me at times as my friends and brothers tend to throw the joke around that I'm an alcoholic. What bugs me about is the fact that our grandparents (one set of them) are legit alcoholics. From morning till night they have their vodka and Oj and wine in hand. I firmly believe that getting home from a 12 hour work day and enjoying a nice beer, and hardly getting tipsy, hardly constitutes being an alcoholic. To me an alcoholic is someone who always has to have their alcohol. All day everyday and when they don't get it or have it they become irritable, irrational, angry, and all the other side effects of withdrawals. If having a single beer in the evening, and a few on weekends is an alcoholic then I guess I am. I don't drink liquor very often as I prefer my Bourbon Barrel Aged beers, we have a nice wine now and again, and I don't remember the last time I got crap faced wasted. I am passionate about beer and what goes into it, reviewing it, critiquing it and enjoying it for the depth of different beers, if I get a buzz off of it then whatever but that's never the goal. As a time reference I'm 26 and didn't start drinking until I was 21. I didn't get into beer until 22 and I didn't get this far down the rabbit hole of being a beer snob/connoisseur until about 3 years ago. So that's my position on it.

The gubment says 15 drinks a week is OK, 16+ is instant death. My doctor said the same thing.

But then I read that the number is pretty much arbitrary. Then I got drunk and stopped worrying about it.

I'm not sure if you meant this to be humorous but it is an awesome quote

It was meant in all seriousness............ This is one of my personal mantras, that I often repeat. I have never heard or read it anywhere, but suspect that someone else has spoken the same sentiment in the same or similar words. Truth is often best expressed with a touch of humor, often times because what you or I see as an obvious observation others take offense to. For example, I've often noted aloud that God obviously has a sense of humor, when referring to various natural phenomena or behaviors of people or animals. There are many examples, and I revel in the absurdities around me.

H.W.

It's actually quite frustrating to me at times as my friends and brothers tend to throw the joke around that I'm an alcoholic. What bugs me about is the fact that our grandparents (one set of them) are legit alcoholics. From morning till night they have their vodka and Oj and wine in hand. I firmly believe that getting home from a 12 hour work day and enjoying a nice beer, and hardly getting tipsy, hardly constitutes being an alcoholic. To me an alcoholic is someone who always has to have their alcohol. All day everyday and when they don't get it or have it they become irritable, irrational, angry, and all the other side effects of withdrawals. If having a single beer in the evening, and a few on weekends is an alcoholic then I guess I am. I don't drink liquor very often as I prefer my Bourbon Barrel Aged beers, we have a nice wine now and again, and I don't remember the last time I got crap faced wasted. I am passionate about beer and what goes into it, reviewing it, critiquing it and enjoying it for the depth of different beers, if I get a buzz off of it then whatever but that's never the goal. As a time reference I'm 26 and didn't start drinking until I was 21. I didn't get into beer until 22 and I didn't get this far down the rabbit hole of being a beer snob/connoisseur until about 3 years ago. So that's my position on it.

A very dear friend of mine, a man for whom I have a great deal of respect and admiration, a better man in many ways than I, ended up in treatment, and his path to alcohol addiction was home brewing. The whole thing was a complete surprise to me and the rest of his friends. Only his wife knew what was happening. She stood by and watched it happen, keeping it from all his friends and neighbors, and then stood by him when he came to the inevitable conclusion that he was out of control, and went through a treatment program that involved participation of her, and his adult children, etc. It was his own conclusion that led to treatment, not a nagging wife, she had the wisdom to let him fall into the gutter (privately and at home), rather than alienating her husband by pressuring him. It cannot have been easy. I don't know the whole story, only what he has told me of it, and I'm not one to pry.

The idea that was expressed by one person here that we as home brewers are inherently more responsible, self policing, etc, is purest bunk.

We are all different.......thankfully. What is an acceptable drinking pattern for some cannot be sustained by others. I have nobody to nudge me back into line except myself, and with that in mind, self examination is the order of the day. While I don't consider myself to be a problem drinker, I'm uncomfortable with my current pattern.

I was raised from a young age with a great deal of freedom, far more than my peers, and expected to take responsibility. It was a sacred trust that I dared not violate lest the situation change. And I did violate that trust, home brewing in secret at 14, and a few other things which never came to my parent's attention........ because even though I was out of line, I was extremely careful, and avoided behaviors that would cause problems. To this day, I rarely tell anybody where I'm going or what I'm doing, though I probably should some times. I was an experiment in child rearing of the mid 50's and 60's gone terribly wrong ;-) I was given the tools and freedom to learn, and explore the world around me and encouraged to do so, and my entrepreneurial spirit was encouraged, so I had the wherewithal to do things, and the pride that comes from funding my projects from my own earnings. Self examination is part and parcel of being given responsibility and accepting it fully. In the years since, I haven't changed a lot...... except that my toys are bigger and more expensive. At 60, I am still moving from one adventure to the next, and one passion to the next, and one income stream to the next.

H.W.

I had an observation the other day. I had a cold and lost my sense of taste and smell. Took a sip of beer, couldn't taste it and thought "What's the point?" and then had no beer until taste and smell came back a couple days later.

I found that comforting in that I don't need the buzz, I drink beer because I absolutely love the taste of it.

I had this happen about 2 months ago..... Basically didn't drink a drop for 2+ weeks. Just tasted bad/off. To me there is zero point in drinking beer if it does not taste good. It is my favorite beverage to drink - not because of getting drunk or relaxing or getting a buzz. I just love the way it tastes. I drink 1-3 most days I would say. I have no guilt over that at all. I don't drink pop/soda anymore. I figure a couple beers a day in place of a few cans of pop (that MANY people don't even bat an eye at) is a pretty fair trade.

I like having a couple beers everyday. I like catching a buzz and partying on occasion. From time to time I get drunk (drinking with friends at home or with a DD). I wish I could avoid the hangover that goes with that.... but, probably a nice reminder that it should be a rare event, and it is. I am on this planet to have fun and enjoy my time, within the responsibilities I have with my family, job and friends. Brewing, drinking beer, hanging out with friends is a portion of that.

However, everyone is different. Everyone has a different family and genetic history. Everyone needs to do what is best for their own circumstances. I do agree that it is important to have an honest conversation with yourself from time to time and make sure your habits (any habits) fit the rest of your life.
:mug:

Owley, I read through your post, and skimmed the rest. Im admirable at your stature. For me, at the ripe age of 29, I can put some LQ down, but refrain. I only drink in Fri night and Sat (unless the wife is on that weekend). I refrain from the week. I dont even touch alcohol, unless on vacation, in the AM. Not even the occasion beer after work (Im usually at the gym)...

Control is where its at. My grandfather was a boozer. Great man, great work ethic, but an alcoholic. My father go out all the time now he is retired, but doesnt get tanked. Every other Sat, yeah I indulge. But I dont let it affect my life. I wont let it. My wife's father had a rough past with alcohol. He is a great an, an engineer. It crippled her. So I take that into account as well.

I love every other weekend to indugle in my brew and sleep til 9. But from both family sides, Ive seen the impact. Do what makes you happy. It does take me a few beers to feel a buzz, but I wont drive anywhere after 1 beer. I will spend 100$ on a taxi. I dont get out much though.

Keep on keeping on man

This is why I'm trying to find good session beer recipes. I love drinking beer but don't want to be getting buzzed all the time

A very dear friend of mine, a man for whom I have a great deal of respect and admiration, a better man in many ways than I, ended up in treatment, and his path to alcohol addiction was home brewing. The whole thing was a complete surprise to me and the rest of his friends. Only his wife knew what was happening. She stood by and watched it happen, keeping it from all his friends and neighbors, and then stood by him when he came to the inevitable conclusion that he was out of control, and went through a treatment program that involved participation of her, and his adult children, etc. It was his own conclusion that led to treatment, not a nagging wife, she had the wisdom to let him fall into the gutter (privately and at home), rather than alienating her husband by pressuring him. It cannot have been easy. I don't know the whole story, only what he has told me of it, and I'm not one to pry.

The idea that was expressed by one person here that we as home brewers are inherently more responsible, self policing, etc, is purest bunk.

We are all different.......thankfully. What is an acceptable drinking pattern for some cannot be sustained by others. I have nobody to nudge me back into line except myself, and with that in mind, self examination is the order of the day. While I don't consider myself to be a problem drinker, I'm uncomfortable with my current pattern.

I was raised from a young age with a great deal of freedom, far more than my peers, and expected to take responsibility. It was a sacred trust that I dared not violate lest the situation change. And I did violate that trust, home brewing in secret at 14, and a few other things which never came to my parent's attention........ because even though I was out of line, I was extremely careful, and avoided behaviors that would cause problems. To this day, I rarely tell anybody where I'm going or what I'm doing, though I probably should some times. I was an experiment in child rearing of the mid 50's and 60's gone terribly wrong ;-) I was given the tools and freedom to learn, and explore the world around me and encouraged to do so, and my entrepreneurial spirit was encouraged, so I had the wherewithal to do things, and the pride that comes from funding my projects from my own earnings. Self examination is part and parcel of being given responsibility and accepting it fully. In the years since, I haven't changed a lot...... except that my toys are bigger and more expensive. At 60, I am still moving from one adventure to the next, and one passion to the next, and one income stream to the next.

H.W.

That's great that he made it through it. And I stick to what I said. Was he getting up craving alcohol? First drink had to be alcohol everyday? It may be because of my upbringing, my family isn't very prudish with alcohol now but my mom and dad sure was when we were young. Grandma and grandpa were alcoholics then as well. They are Nam vets and grandpa has all sorts of problems so I'm sure that plays into it. However self examination is always an ideal practice for everything we do in life and even more with mind altering / health altering aspects.

I experienced feeling more energetic when I took a break from drinking for 10 days. I was on anti biotics. I take a break every once in a while. It's healthy and I enjoy my beer more.

Working night shift, I often end my day with a evening-type meal. Unhealthy as it is, I'll toss a cpl-three smoked sausage dogs on some buns for breakfast. Knowing I'll have to return to work in less than 12 hours, I'll limit myself to one pint with my meal before bedtime or at most two as I check on the bubbling carboys.

I've been brewing about 3 years now and I will have to admit there have been a few times where I said WTH, and drink till I'm buzzed. I do this in the privacy of my home, and rarely ever in front of others. For multiple reasons really, one I'm a private person and I don't want others to judge me. Two, I just don't want to pave a way to grain a bad reputation of having a problem with alcohol. Personally, I hate the feeling of being drunk and often regret it the next morning. As a rule, I very rarely ever have more than 2-3 in a public setting, and if I'm driving most of the time will refrain all together.

There was a time in my life back in 2004 just after my mothers death that I was making some poor decisions with alcohol. Never to the point of being habit forming, but finding myself drinking for the pure purpose to get drunk. It took the love of several friends coming over to my house one day to really sit me down and tell me what they were seeing me do. Till this day, I think that was one of the biggest wake up calls I've ever had regarding drinking. Looking back, I really feel I owe my life to them.

I respect the fact there are many gallons of beer in my home to consume. Working in EMS, I see the devastating effects of alcohol and drug abuse. Tonight alone we've ran about 6 alcohol related events since 7PM. I always try to use this wisdom when I'm home savoring my brews. Sometimes, it's best to just close the door to the brew room and have a glass of ice tea.

Thanks to the OP for having the courage to start this thread.

Kenny

I REALLY like being buzzed. And drunk. But NOT when I have to drive or anything else where impairment super sucks.

Therefore I rarely drink "out", almost never have "just a couple" ate a bar, restaurant, etc. And I don't want one. Or two.

At home, I'm a drinker, OUT I abstain. That way I don't have to deal with non-drinkers' ridiculous dramas, acting out, hypocrisy, mindlessness, on and on.

I'm a grown up with a career, business, babies, and alcohol plays a significant role in my life because it helps me relax, relate, regale.

I spent decades as a sober me and it was NOT pretty. I am intolerant of others by nature.

Oh, and one other comment - the OP mentioned that all social events have booze except the religious events.

Here in Wisconsin, even the religious events have booze. A child can not only be in the bar with parents/guardian, but the child can order and consume an alcoholic beverage as long as the parent/guardian consents and the bartender agrees (there are certainly bars out there that wouldn't want to serve a kid even if it is legal.) Our MLB team is the Brewers for Pete's sake.

Anyway, I get the impression that Wisconsin and Missouri are on the most liberal end of the spectrum as far as alcohol regulation goes, and Utah is on the other end of the spectrum. All other states have normal laws.

and his path to alcohol addiction was home brewing.

! i thought about that the other day, since i all the sudden have so much beer... and good beer! and I want to make new good beer....

and my mom asked me, what I am doing with all the beer and I said: I drink it!

well, guess I will have to start giving away beer (in fact I did start doing this)
Although working in a bar, I do not drink on a regular basis... well I do now since I have so much home brew. I have seen so many people in the service industry especially bartenders and cooks with alcohol related issues. And I always felt to keep my drinking habits the way they are without having a job related easy access. Meaning: I drink socially and if a good home cooked meal requires to be paired with good wines.... and I do not always drink, when I am going out. Many times I will be ordering a soda, because I dont feel like drinking.

I cant start drinking two or more beer a day just to make space for new beer... (I had that strange idea due to limited storage space).

In my personal view you cant generalize alcohol issues. Some people do not have any issue drinking daily, some do. some go without alcohol for long periods of time BUT have a huge issue or are true alcoholics unable to cope with a certain situation without alcohol/drugs...

and obv. having unlimited access to home brew might be a gateway into irresponsible habits.. so if you are in the area, feel free to stop by and pick up some beer here ;)

Oh, and one other comment - the OP mentioned that all social events have booze except the religious events.

Here in Wisconsin, even the religious events have booze. A child can not only be in the bar with parents/guardian, but the child can order and consume an alcoholic beverage as long as the parent/guardian consents and the bartender agrees (there are certainly bars out there that wouldn't want to serve a kid even if it is legal.) Our MLB team is the Brewers for Pete's sake.

Anyway, I get the impression that Wisconsin and Missouri are on the most liberal end of the spectrum as far as alcohol regulation goes, and Utah is on the other end of the spectrum. All other states have normal laws.

That is unreal. I mean, all of our Catholic fests in the summer are loaded with beer, which is a norm, but allowing a child to drink? Hell, we still cant buy booze on Sunday here...

It's inevitable. You start doing something, having a good time, enjoying life, etc. and then someone has to come along and tell you to be careful, he or she has seen it all go wrong, even kill other people. Careful with this, don't do that too much, or you'll end up losing everything and die. Fine, thanks for the warning, but can't we just have some faith that most people are smart about what they do and that the extreme examples are usually outliers?

It's inevitable. You start doing something, having a good time, enjoying life, etc. and then someone has to come along and tell you to be careful, he or she has seen it all go wrong, even kill other people. Careful with this, don't do that too much, or you'll end up losing everything and die. Fine, thanks for the warning, but can't we just have some faith that most people are smart about what they do and that the extreme examples are usually outliers?

You didn't have to read it; it was pretty obvious from the title that the thread would be a downer.

I'm at the end of a 40 day self-imposed dry period. I do this once a year, and it's been tougher this year than normal. Looking forward to a couple of beers tomorrow. :)

I'm going to start brewing "session" beers (I hate that term) because I can handle the alcohol just fine but not the calories. I have an English Brown in the carboy waiting to be bottled, but I think it might be infected (if it's still drinkable I'll pretend it's supposed to be a sour)

You didn't have to read it; it was pretty obvious from the title that the thread would be a downer.

I'm at the end of a 40 day self-imposed dry period. I do this once a year, and it's been tougher this year than normal. Looking forward to a couple of beers tomorrow. :)

I'm going to start brewing "session" beers (I hate that term) because I can handle the alcohol just fine but not the calories. I have an English Brown in the carboy waiting to be bottled, but I think it might be infected (if it's still drinkable I'll pretend it's supposed to be a sour)

True, I didn't have to read it, but I thought it was a kind of "calling all homebrewers you better be careful" type post, and I am a homebrewer...

Thank you for this. I feel the same way. I work hard every day and I feel like theres nothing wrong coming home and drinking a few beers. I'm 23 now and have friends just like you described. I only drink after work and on the weekends. I know people who wake up and have to drink before work, and then continue to drink after, and probably drink during.

True, I didn't have to read it, but I thought it was a kind of "calling all homebrewers you better be careful" type post, and I am a homebrewer...

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be snarky with the "you didn't have to read it", just sayin' that the subject title was descriptive of what would be inside.

I had not intended my original post to be a warning to all as has been suggested, but to share my personal concerns with others. I felt myself slipping off the rails so to speak, and obviously I'm not the only one who has been here. Alcohol has a place in my life, and probably always will, and I never want to reach the point where I have to fear taking that first drink like so many people I know.

It's gratifying to see so many people sharing their feelings, concerns, and personal strategies on this topic so freely. I've never been to an AA meeting, but this is what I imagine them to be like more or less ;-) (let's not bring a higher power in though) ;-)

H.W.

Latest posts

Back