Adding sugar to a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eerrpp

Reaction score
I have a bells two hearted recipe kit from northern brewing. I am changing up the hop schedule and adding more hops. Somebody recommended adding 1 lb of sugar to the recipe to dry the beer out.

Any recommendations if I should add sugar or not to this recipe. ????

Steeping grains
- 1lbsBriessCaramel40

Extract
- 9.15lbsGoldmaltsyrup

Hop schedule
45 min 1 oz centennial
10 min 1 oz chinook
0 min 2 oz centennial
0 min 1 oz amarillo
0 min 1 oz citra
dry hop 1 oz citra
dry hop 2 oz centennial

Simply adding sugar won’t necessarily dry the beer out. You’ll boost the alcohol but still have residual complex sugar from the extract. It’s when you substitute some of the LME for sugar that you’ll dry it out some.

What yeast are you using?

A high attenuating yeast might be enough of an answer if you don’t want to substitute for sugar. Extract is usually pretty darn fetmentable. When I brewed extract I almost always added maltodexrin to add body and mouthfeel because I’d get high attenuation from certain yeast strains.

A high attenuating yeast might be enough of an answer if you don’t want to substitute for sugar. Extract is usually pretty darn fetmentable. When I brewed extract I almost always added maltodexrin to add body and mouthfeel because I’d get high attenuation from certain yeast strains.

I brewed a brown ale a week ago that was two gallons and used three pounds of lme and 12 ounces of specialty grains. Nottingham yeast took it from 1.050 to 1.007 in four days.

Simply adding sugar won’t necessarily dry the beer out. You’ll boost the alcohol but still have residual complex sugar from the extract. It’s when you substitute some of the LME for sugar that you’ll dry it out some.

Safale 05

It was common for me to get 90% atten from S-05 when I was brewing extract. If I were brewing that beer, with your stated goal in mind, I’d scrap the sugar. Or hey, add a little to boost the ABV. Either way, your FG will likely be within a point or two. Your abv will be the outcome that shifts left or right.

It was common for me to get 90% atten from S-05 when I was brewing extract. If I were brewing that beer, with your stated goal in mind, I’d scrap the sugar. Or hey, add a little to boost the ABV. Either way, your FG will likely be within a point or two. Your abv will be the outcome that shifts left or right.
Sweet. I think I’m going to skip the sugar but try the maltodextrin

My standard recommendations:

35033210393_4cf46b0063_o.png

My standard recommendations:

I'm with Dave on this. Get some sugar (or dextrose) in there. Replace half a pound to a pound of extract with sugar (and consider using DME to replace some of the LME). Assuming you have an OG somewhere in the 1.060 to 1.070 range, and all that crystal malt, you're going to have a fairly rich tasting beer. That's OK if it's what you're aiming for, but I'd prefer an IPA to be a bit drier in mouthfeel.

Latest posts

Back