Adding roasted grain post-fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

butterblum

Reaction score
I tried to do a late-mash-addition with my roasted barley and chocolate malt in my oatmeal stout. It definitely ended up too light.
Can I steep some of each of those grains in warm water, boil down to a fairly negligible volume, and then just add to my keg?
Thanks

Probably would not be a problem but thats just me guessing, i never did such a thing

There's a recent Brulosophy post about cold-steeping specialty grains. I'd think that if you did this, then pasteurized and carefully added it to primary it would work fine. You'd have a hard time figuring out the ABV, but who cares?

I suppose you could add it to the keg, too, but I would personally prefer to let it ferment out.

My question is mostly focused on the boil-off part.
If the specialty grains don't contribute any diastatic power, then you are essentially adding flavored water, so it would be best to minimize the volume added to the keg to avoid altering the gravity.

Back