Adding extra flavour to strawberry cider kit, help please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I have some questions about adding some bits and bobs to a strawberry cider kit please if anyone can help me.
I have a Magnum Strawberry cider kit to make next and I know the strawberry flavour is pretty rubbish so I want to add more to it. I would like to add peach flavour so would I be best using fresh fruit, tinned, frozen??? How much would I need to add for a 23L kit, And is it best to do this at first fermentation or secondary?

My other question is can I chuck in a 150g bag of Vimto wine gums too? Maybe melt them down and add them? Or is this a bad idea what with the additives and stuff please? Im sure I’ve seen other places people adding melted sweets, and to be honest they are not particularly good sweets so they may as well be used up!

Any help would be great please folks, I’m hoping to get it started in a few days.

"I want to add more to it. I would like to add peach flavor so would I be best using fresh fruit, tinned, frozen??? How much would I need to add for a 23L kit, And is it best to do this at first fermentation or secondary?"

It depends.... really on what flavor profile you are looking for. Rather than adding it all up-front, while not knowing how they will work together and or the desired flavor profile you prefer. I would take a more cautious aproach.
- Ferment your kit as-is or as per the directions.
- Once Primary is complete check the flavor and do your additions from there.
- Fruit or fruit puree - Personally I prefer fresh fruit. Peach and Strawberry sounds good. Never tried it so really cant help with the amount of fruit to add.
Some general rule of thumb I use for fruit additions.
1. Use fresh ripe fruit. 1.5 to 3 pounds per gallon. Stay nearer the 1 to 2 pounds per gallon if you are looking for some of the apple and strawberry to come through.
2. Cut the peaches into 1/4s removing the pits. (Large seeds or seeds on the outside of berries can give off some harsh flavors.)
3. Freeze them This breaks the connective tissue releasing the flavor / juices more readily. (Not required and really don't even have to thaw them before dropping in.)
4. If your fermentation vessel allows sanitize a mesh bag or cheese cloth and place your fruit in it with a handful of marbles to sink the fruit. Really helps with clean up and sinking the fruit then you don't have to manage the fruit cap.
5 Check the flavor after about 4 or 5 days. Pull the fruit or rack from it when you hit the flavor profile you want. IMO Fruit after about 14 days really doesn't have any flavor left.

Cant speak to the Wine Gums - never used it, but would only consider adding it after your done with the fruit. Oh, and if anything is "really not hat good" tehn i don't add it to my cider.

Good luck - Let us know how it comes out!

Wow thank you so much, that has answered so many questions for me! I have decided against the wine gums as my wife and I both really don’t like Vimto so, you’re dead right, why add it!

Back