20 $ for 6 gal cider kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some seem like the traditional a few seem like the craft series still i feel these will be good . also i dont think the traditinal mj kits come with dry hops so it seems they have modified the traditional kits a little

excited for the tasting of my pilsner brewed with m10 workhorse i dont think i have ever made a pseudolager before. (lager grist with an ale yeast)

My second set of kits arrived yesterday. They had yeast packs taped to the package. The enclosed note said that the expiration date on the yeast packaging is wrong. To ensure satisfaction, they sent a correctly coded yeast. The wheat that I started with the original yeast is still purring along. Would you replace the yeast or use the original unless needed?
2nd Question. With that wheat I shorted the water to 5 gallons and replaced only 1 lb of dextrose with the light DME. Any specific suggestions with the wheat for the next kit? I foolishly opened the pack not realising that I would be making beer that day.

Attachments

• IMG_4689.jpeg
    IMG_4689.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
The fact that the date is expired is a little suspect. Do u mean the date on the outside of the pouch . My yeast pack inside didn’t have any date. But that’s a great deat for a free pack of notty. I would also prolly save the yeast for another beer. I would also prolly harvest the slurry from this batch for the next wheat instead of using the included yeast. 5 gm is a little under pitched prolly. If you don’t want to harvest slurry you could just dump the second kit right into the fv without cleaning it out After racking. prolly will work just as good or better.
my only suggestion is to either wait to taste first batch if it’s too thin use more malt next time if not keep it the same ... the other choice is to make it different now so you can compare the too. I can’t stress the importance of temperature control enough even if it’s just a swamp cooler . fluctuating fermentation temperatures will rJin these beers just like any other beers.
and if you aren’t kegging consider it. I find the keg beer has improved flavor over the bottles. But that goes with all methods of brewing for me. Biab no boil. Etc.

btw we have been discussing the abc kits on the other thread "prehopped no boil beer kits". theres a lot of good info over there

The cider kit I got had a packet that contained yeast & nutrient, it had an expiration date of 1/23 while the pouch was 10/24. I did not use the included yeast, since I wanted to use a saison yeast I already had. I don't think being a few months past the best by date is anything to be concerned with when using dry yeast.

Also since these kits are low gravity 5 grams is probably fine. Did the wheat beer come with M20?

My second set of kits arrived yesterday. They had yeast packs taped to the package. The enclosed note said that the expiration date on the yeast packaging is wrong. To ensure satisfaction, they sent a correctly coded yeast. The wheat that I started with the original yeast is still purring along. Would you replace the yeast or use the original unless needed?
Just a head's up. I just got my order of 2 Ale kits and 3 Lager last Tuesday. I also got 5 yeast packets and the note, same as above. Only problem is although I ordered 3 Lager kits, all my yeast packets were Ale yeast, 'high performance ale yeast' (LaBrew Premium Series, Lallemand). I emailed them to ask if it was an oversight and said I'd be happy to get some of their lager yeast with the wrong date code on it.

Ironically I already have lots of Ale yeast, but need some lager yeast.

So far, although it has only been 2 days since I sent the note, they have not replied. Looks like that lonely sachet of MJ M54 Lager yeast I was planning to bin will now be used for a ferment.

I'd be happy to get some of their lager yeast with the wrong date code on it.

Ironically I already have lots of Ale yeast, but need some lager yeast.
To be clear, your lager kits Didn't come with a lager yeast inside the kit? Possibly miss coded but still viable. I don't remember if the yeast pack was marked one way or the other on the wheat.

I foolishly opened the pack not realising that I would be making beer that day.
I also foolishly opened mine.
Then realizing how the packet is designed, I pulled the yeast and instruction sheet, dropped the rest into a large glass jar and popped it into the refrigerator until the next day when I could more easily work with it.

fluketamer, The note just said the yeast was miscoded not expired. Great suggestions. Thank you. My temps are a steady 70 as we've radiant slab floors. Very little fluctuation. To warm for a lager tell fall. My husband did gift me with a keg system. I haven't bothered to learn how to use it as we've no room for a keg :) .​

My order contained the following items:
5 pouches of LME
5 packets of yeast

Although the note says, "we are sending the correct coded yeast if you wish to replace it with the one in this pack with accurate coding", there was no other yeast that could be replaced. I assume that the intent was to send the "kits" with the 'miscoded' yeast as well as the new yeast, but unfortunately I only got the 'new' yeast. I just went back and rechecked the original box to see if I missed it, but there were no other items in the box.

Looks like a simple oversight on the part of ABC. The take away from this I suppose addresses their customer support. Although yesterday I got an email telling me my order had been delivered, and 14 minutes ago I got a new mail from them announcing a 'Canada Day Sale' with '15% off site wide', so far I have not received any response to my email that is a support request. At the moment OBK also has a promotion that amounts to a $20% discount on a $100.00 order, for Canadians that would be the better option as they have proven customer support.

I just had a thought. Could the missing yeast be inside the pouch of LME. EG: a yeast packet just floating around in the syrup? (that would be quite a mess). Clearly I did not open the pouch because if I could not brew right away, it would not make sense to have an open pouch of LME that is oxidizing.

My order contained the following items:
5 pouches of LME
5 packets of yeast

Although the note says, "we are sending the correct coded yeast if you wish to replace it with the one in this pack with accurate coding", there was no other yeast that could be replaced.
The yeast packets that are enclosed with the kit should be in the kangaroo pouch inside the kit. The LME bag has a front 'dry' section where my yeast, instructions, and dry hops were located, and the back held the LME.

My 'pouches' described the fact that the more detailed instructions were packaged inside the pouch.

By cutting the bag at the dashed line indication you will be opening both pouches.

Last edited:
The yeast packets that are enclosed with the kit should be in the kangaroo pouch inside the kit. The LME bag has a front 'dry' section where my yeast, instructions, and dry hopse were located, and the back held the LME.

Thanks for the clarification!

I guess I got thrown off as the pouches' instructions on the back panel seemed to portray the kit as being enclosed in a cylindrical container of some sort. I just cut the top off the 'Red Ale' pouch and indeed found the yeast and probably a bag of hops inside. Rather surprising that you have to open the pouch and expose the LME, but I am off today and ready to start a brew anyway. Unfortunately I had planned to brew a lager rather than the Red Ale, but that is my fault for simply cutting open the first pouch that I found.

Thanks for solving that mystery for me! Maybe the reason support did not respond to me was they are still scratching their heads wondering what the heck I am talking about.

I see their instructions do not mention bringing the LME to a boil, but rather adding 3L of boiled water to it. I assume that is because the LME is pasteurized, but I suppose if I plan to add 1kg of DME as well, then boiling is recommended?

BTW, the included yeast packet code says, "106901" on it. I can't seem to make sense of that date code. It contains 5.2G of yeast. The Lallemande yeast packet they sent out contains more than double the original yeast in the pouch at 11.3G of yeast.

the pouches have a separate dry area inside that holds instructions yeast and hops(sometimes depends on kit) you can open the dry side while keeping the wet side closed. i did this in order to warm the pouch contents without warming the yeast in order to soften the lme. all can kits recommend softening in warm water to ease pouring. if you do it without brewing that day you potentially may expose the wet side to light. not sure if that matters too much but just a thought . its easy to do . just use a razor to gently cut the front by the label and u can access the dry side without opening wet pouch. dont cut too deep or you risk opening lme also. and be gentle or you could cut the yeast or hops.
also its not the pasteurization that makes you not want to boil its the ibus concentration. theses kits are designed to have an ibu that dilutes out to 6 gallons. boiling that will completely change the ibus and can add bitterness twang darkening and caramelization . all not designed to be in your kit.

none of these kits have lager yeast and im surprised that the wheat had m20 bavaria. most if not all kits come with broad range ale yeast . coopers lager does have lager yeast which makes it a better deal than the other kits but that is an exception.
in general it appears the abc kits contain "workhorse ale yeast " unless stated otherwise on the website.

the support service is lacking they never got back to me after initial response.

we have about 10 kit brewers currently brewing these kits on this site by my count. we should get some reviews soon.
susie - i would get a fridge if at all possible - even mini fridge for one corny . kegging is a whole nother world and really worth it.
brew on

just use a razor to gently cut the front by the label and u can access the dry side without opening wet pouch.
Your idea of using a razor is spot on and I probably would not have thought of that going forward to the other 4 pouches.

none of these kits have lager yeast
That is good to know. So using the razor technique, I opened the outer pouch (with a dull razor) on the lager and found a packet called "beer yeast/104601". This is distinct from the yeast packet in the Ale kit which says "Ale Yeast/106901". So I assume the lager kit contains the "workhorse ale yeast "?

I also noted that although I did not think I had pierced the other pouch containing the LME, I could smell the LME so I seem to have made a small cut in the inner pouch as well: as the result of using a dull razor and pressing too hard on the outer pouch. As I have 2 All-Rounders, it seems that I will be brewing two batches instead of one today. Or maybe one today and one tomorrow...

Thanks for the great information!

another bit about kit yeast. these kits and all prehopped kits are designed for the general public. they dont expect you to have lagering abilities. the included yeast even for the lager kits is usually just ale yeast. so they are expecting you to make a pseudo lager or at least a lager like beer with ale yeast. this is so everyone can brew it. it also gives the entry level homebrewer a way to make a beer similar to a large bmc commercial brewery. which most people who are not homebrewers drink . this is based on appeal. not ideal.

the lager kits work very well with lager yeast if you have the ability to do so otherwise im sure the pseudolager with ale yeast will taste great also. i split my pilsner into two batches one with diamond lager at 56 the other with kit yeast at 70 so i can compare.

i love kit brewing it reduces a lot of the variables so i can experiment easily.

and shock to everyone here it makes good beer much easier than any other method.

i got the lme smell also when i opened the dry pouch you likely didn't cut the wet pouch it just has that smell cause its packed under those conditions. i wouldn't worry. btw the lme smelled delicious when i opened the dry side very malty and VERY fresh

these are quality kits.

also if you got 14 g of hops in the dry pouch and 11 gm of extra notty premium yeast for 10 $ . you basically got 5 gallons of free beer (ok maybe 3 $ for 5 gallons of beer)
thats crazy

The cider kit I got had a packet that contained yeast & nutrient,
Just a reminder for anyone who may be allergic to artificial sweeteners (Acesulfame potassium, some individuals may be sensitive or allergic to acesulfame potassium), or sulphites, read the ingredients list on the cider kits so you are aware of what you are getting.

One study from PubMed suggests that Acesulfame potassium might affect the gut microbiome (PLoS One. 2017; 12(6): e0178426.
Published online 2017 Jun 8. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0178426)

Back