Adding candi sugar to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayplac

Reaction score
I have 4 gallons of a light Belgium that's ready to go into secondary. Also, I just inherited a bag of candi sugar. Has anyone ever tried adding a bunch of sugar to the secondary? Is this going to boost my beer or is this a train wreck waiting to happen? Let me know whether you've tried this or heard about what you should or should not do.

I would just add it to primary so there is still a healthy population of yeast to go to town on all that sugar

I've done it with a couple of sours when I'm pitching bugs in secondary after a clean primary to give the them a bit of a boost in a somewhat hostile environment. So you can, but that doesn't necessarily mean you should. Why are you wanting to add it? Gravity not high enough? Not dry enough? Just because you have it? What kind of Belgian is it?

+1^

Why do a secondary? It's usually not needed or even recommended (oxidation and infection risk).

You could carefully drop in the lumps of sugar, without splashing. For that use a funnel with a piece of hose attached reaching just below the surface level. Make sure the funnel and hose are wide enough to easily pass the lumps.

Alternatively you could take some beer out, dissolve the sugar lumps with gentle stirring (avoid aerating it), and pour it back in slowly and carefully with or without funnel. You do not want to introduce any air (oxygen) into the beer.

All done with good sanitation of course!

Micro, I just had it and wanted to experiment. However, I tasted it and it was nothing short of spectacular, so I decided just to put it into secondary and not f with it.

Lizard, I always rack to secondary and let it sit for two to three months. It produces a much clearer, smoother product.

In secondary, you have removed most of the yeast, the alcohol is high, all reducing your chances of hitting an adequately low FG. I usually add my sugar to primary once the kraeusen has receded a bit, I add an lb. at a time. Always get great results this way. I added sour cherry juice to a quad after primary was more or less done, waiting and hoping it will finish.

Back