Adding Brett to saison in secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SethMasterFlex

Reaction score
I have a saison that's been in secondary for less than a week that I fermented out with 3711. I primaried for about 4-5 weeks. It reads 1.002 with a calibrated hydrometer. I recently read Wild Brews which got the gears turning. I want to add some funk to a portion of the saison if at all possible (as I recently learned I love funk), but I have some questions first as I'm new to wild brewing.

1) Am I able to just add a Brett strain and malto to feed the Brett? If so how much gravity points wise?
2) It being in secondary, will the lack of Sach not give the Brett suitable dead yeast to feed off of? Should I pitch more Sach or did I miss the bus on this one?
3) As Brett takes such a long time and eats esters (from what I remember at least) should I expect the current ester profile to greatly diminish and be replaced by whatever Brett brings to the table?

Thanks for the help! :mug:

I would have added it AFTER mashing at a temperature that left some unfermentables in the wort for the brett to eat or at least added malto in the boil. The saison yeast doesnt leave too much lying around if you make a highly fermentable wort. That being said, boiling some DME and adding malto to that might get you where you want to be in secondary. I'd aim for 8-10 points of extra gravity. The volume of the addition I dont know.

The whole thing is nothing too major. I'm just excited about the Wild Dark Belgian I'm brewing in the next week (my first wild) and thought it might be interesting to add some Brett to a portion of the saison I have sitting around.

As it wasn't planned, I understand conditions aren't optimal, I'm just excited about experimenting with different bugs. I might just alter a gallon of it for experiments sake.

Do you bottle? You could do like a few of the pros do and bottle a few using the Brett as a bottle conditioner.

I keg and bottle. I will be bottling the saison anyways as the kegs are all full :D. How much would you add per bottle/gallon if you were doing this?

Back