Added too much top off water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skydog4884

Reaction score
I have not brewed in abou 2 years. I have done about 10 brews before I took a break. I did an extract kit summer ale to get me back in the game. I added way to much top off water because of poor calculation and measurement with my new keg brew pot. OG was suppose to be 1.046. Mine was 1.028. I know I could just have a refreshing lighter summer beer with only about a 2 abv but what are some of my options to bring the flavor and abv back a little?!?

If you haven't dropped the yeast in yet i suppose you could just boil some more water off? I'm not sure if this will mess up your hop aroma/bitterness...

You could buy another pound or two of DME, boil that up in as little water as possible, cool it and gently add it to the fermenter. Two pounds of DME added in 5 gallons would add .018 to the OG.

You'll be ok. I did an arrogant bastard clone and boiled off to much wort and used like 3 1/2 gallons of water in a 5 gal batch. Wasn't quite arrogant bastard anymore but was still very good.

These suggestions are good but I would just brew another batch...

More Beer!

More Better!

You could still probably do what Yooper suggested and just gently add the additional DME so it doesn't aerate your batch too much. Or make more beer. Or both. :rockin:

Hmm, if it were me I might let it be for two weeks and then rack it off over a fruit puree or something.

Be sad, no.
Throw away, never.
EXPERIMENT!!!

Would racking it on top of fruit raise the abv because the sugar in the fruit? What about racking it onto some fruit and some dissolved DME so I can get more fruit flavor and some body to the beer. Along with some higher abv hopefully.

Would racking it on top of fruit raise the abv because the sugar in the fruit? What about racking it onto some fruit and some dissolved DME so I can get more fruit flavor and some body to the beer. Along with some higher abv hopefully.

Racking it to some fruit would raise the ABV, of course this is dependent on how much fruit you use. If you don't want a fruity beer then just rack on to a high gravity wort that is similar to what you already have.

Back