Added Secondary Regulator, Can't find Leak

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamisonia

Reaction score
I just added a new 4 way Taprite Secondary Regulator, and now I'm having trouble tracking down a slow leak. So far here's what I've checked.

The turned the primary regulator up to 40 PSI, and shut off the CO2 tank, and shut off the valve leaving the regulator, let it sit overnight. No change in pressure. Okay check primary isn't leaking then.

I then moved downstream to the secondary regulators. I pressure the secondaries up to all above 30 PSI (between 31-35PSI). Shut off the valve coming from the primary regulator. Let that set for 8 hours while at work. Came back to find all 4 regulators had dropped to about 25 PSI. I checked everything downstream and realized I had forgotten to put a clamp on a quick disconnect.

Tried this test again, again found all the regulators lost pressure. Next I shutoff all the valves coming from each secondary regulator to isolate the secondaries themselves, waited over night. This time only the first regulator in the bank of 4 lost pressure. The other 3 stayed the same.

Okay now I don't understand. I assumed if the leak was in secondary part they would all drop together, I assumed they're all connected, and I'm not able to isolate one from the other? Or am I? Any suggestion where I should go from here?

Also I've tried soaping each connection and I can't find any leak.

I'm sorry if I'm missing the obvious here but isn't the entire point of secondary regulators to be able to seperate them and serve different lines at different pressures?

I just added a new 4 way Taprite Secondary Regulator, and now I'm having trouble tracking down a slow leak. So far here's what I've checked.

The turned the primary regulator up to 40 PSI, and shut off the CO2 tank, and shut off the valve leaving the regulator, let it sit overnight. No change in pressure. Okay check primary isn't leaking then.

I then moved downstream to the secondary regulators. I pressure the secondaries up to all above 30 PSI (between 31-35PSI). Shut off the valve coming from the primary regulator. Let that set for 8 hours while at work. Came back to find all 4 regulators had dropped to about 25 PSI. I checked everything downstream and realized I had forgotten to put a clamp on a quick disconnect.

Tried this test again, again found all the regulators lost pressure. Next I shutoff all the valves coming from each secondary regulator to isolate the secondaries themselves, waited over night. This time only the first regulator in the bank of 4 lost pressure. The other 3 stayed the same.

Okay now I don't understand. I assumed if the leak was in secondary part they would all drop together, I assumed they're all connected, and I'm not able to isolate one from the other? Or am I? Any suggestion where I should go from here?

Also I've tried soaping each connection and I can't find any leak.

I know this is a crazy old post but I’m having the exact same issue with the same setup. Did you ever figure out the source of the leak? I’m not getting any bubbles from any of the NPT connections on my secondary dual reg setup and have leak free primary like you. Any advice? I’m dropping about 10psi over the day with the secondary reg’s fully backed out (no pressure on their output)

Back