Activities everyone seems to enjoy... but you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too hate full service gas stations. We have 2 in our area, and my wife gets annoyed that I will drive past them with the gas light on in order to get to a self service station. Although, I must say, one of the full service stations here has the most flamboyantly gay attendant, and it is fun to talk to him. He always wears cowboy boots and short jean shorts, a half-buttoned western style shirt, aviator sunglasses, and a cowboy hat. Except around Christmas, when he dresses like an elf. You can be straight as an arrow, and that'll still make you chuckle every time.

Ya, OR has a similar law. BTW, they have no idea what "full service" means. They won't even so much as wash your windshield, much less check you oil or tires.
Regards, GF.

2 reasons why that law exists (its a state law obviously), 1 because it creates more jobs in the state and 2 it is seen as environmentally responsible to not let people pump their own gas but let professionals who are trained to pump gas, something about there being a less of a chance to spill gas, etc etc...so more jobs and better for the environment.

How can they pay for the attendants and also have the cheapest gas? Doesn't make sense to me. Where is the extra money coming from, it seems like they would have to increase the price of something to pay them.

Isn't NJ also where they just passed the tax on rain water, molded into a "drainage tax"

People visiting NYC for the first time. Let's stop in the middle of the street and/or sidewalk and look up at the buildings. Awesome.

I'm a terrible person in that I like to watch the tourists trying to flag down any and every yellow car with or without the lights on and get increasingly more frustrated as time goes on. If I'm feeling nice or if the people involved seem like nice people (first impressions dontchaknow) I'll say "wait for one with the lights on their medalian number to be on, but not "off duty". Once I even flagged one down for them and got to look like a nice guy. Honestly, though, more often than not I giggle and think "damn tourists" and continue on my way.

Dont get me started on the tourists that let their offspring go around and around on the revolving doors without correcting them.

I'm a terrible person in that I like to watch the tourists trying to flag down any and every yellow car with or without the lights on and get increasingly more frustrated as time goes on. If I'm feeling nice or if the people involved seem like nice people (first impressions dontchaknow) I'll say "wait for one with the lights on their medalian number to be on, but not "off duty". Once I even flagged one down for them and got to look like a nice guy. Honestly, though, more often than not I giggle and think "damn tourists" and continue on my way.

Dont get me started on the tourists that let their offspring go around and around on the revolving doors without correcting them.

My problem around here is mainly when they @#%$ing insist on standing on the left side of Metro escalators. My wife yells at them (more or less "get out of the &*#@ing way you #&*#ing tourists), where I just shove. Also, the fact that especially this time of year they're crawling EVERYWHERE downtown.

Every so often I get a family of panicked tourists approach me. As many of you know, I don't exactly look like a criminal or a tough guy. I would be happy to help except for the fact that I have a major quirky problem. The moment someone asks me for directions I forget where I am and where I am going. Its really absurd and embarrassing. I could forget my own address in this manner. So yeah, its not their fault, but I really hate it when tourists ask me for directions.

My problem around here is mainly when they @#%$ing insist on standing on the left side of Metro escalators. My wife yells at them (more or less "get out of the &*#@ing way you #&*#ing tourists), where I just shove. Also, the fact that especially this time of year they're crawling EVERYWHERE downtown.

+1

The odds are, if there are two people together on an escalator or moving walkway, one will be standing on the right and the other one on the left. Especially annoying at airports--yeah, some of us have flights to catch. Some people don't get the "stand on the right, walk on the left" rule.

I walk right up behind them and say (in my usual loud voice) "ON YOUR LEFT!" and watch them jump out of their socks. :cross:

+1

The odds are, if there are two people together on an escalator or moving walkway, one will be standing on the right and the other one on the left. Especially annoying at airports--yeah, some of us have flights to catch. Some people don't get the "stand on the right, walk on the left" rule.

I walk right up behind them and say (in my usual loud voice) "ON YOUR LEFT!" and watch them jump out of their socks. :cross:

My specific issue is that (and this seems to be a PLAGUE kind of thought everywhere but this area) no one seems to understand that there is more to Washington DC than Federal Government. No one seems to understand that people actually live and work here.

And you get all these Kansas and Oklahoma yokels (no offense to anyone from KS or OK by the way), who are here to see the monuments of 'Murika, and they're clogging up the escalators during rush hour. SOME PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO GET TO OR FROM WORK. Your precious sight-seeing will see be doable after the rush is over. Until then, kindly either go back to your hotel and stay there, or go back home.

Rush hour is for people who need to RUSH to work. Your baby in its mammoth stroller does not need to get to work. You as a tourist, do not need to get to work. And, I'm sorry, the elderly do not need to get to work. If you are unable to keep a steady pace and not clog the trains and busses you should wait an hour. The only exception I have to this rule is the handicapped person who is on his/her way to work. All other specialty cases are a one-off.

Haven't read more than a few pages, so this may have been said already...

But my thing that everyone seems to love except for me is, Fishing.

I really can't see why so many get so into it. My friends, my kids! My oldest son is really getting into it, and I'm supporting it as much as possible. Taking him to the tackle shop, trips to the local lakes. We went camping last week (which I love) but all he wanted to do was go to the lake and fish. It was honestly the very last thing I could have wanted to do that day but we went.

+1

While On a trip to Japan. Stand on the Left, Walk on the Right!:mug: Stand to the Left you Dumb New Yorkers!

+1

You mean there are people in such a big hurry that they WALK UP AN ESCALATOR? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the escalator?
Regards, GF.

You mean there are people in such a big hurry that they WALK UP AN ESCALATOR? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of the escalator?
Regards, GF.

Its all about momentum. Multiply the momentum of the moving escalator with purposeful climbing and you are at the apex in far less time. If you have a heavy bag, sore feet or an orthopedic irregularity then standing on the right is the place for you. I'm not even joking on this one... stall on the left and you should get a ticket.

As for how it is done in Japan, there is much we can learn from the Japanese when it comes to mass transit. However, in Japan, much like the UK, car traffic is limited to the LEFT side of the road. It makes sense that foot traffic would follow suit.

Also, whilst "orderly" Japan does have some unique pitfalls. For instance, one can buy books and find video "seminars" on how to properly feel-up and/or rub up against a woman on a subway, and what to say to a policeman should you get caught. Kind of a black stain if you ask me.

Rush hour is for people who need to RUSH to work. Your baby in its mammoth stroller does not need to get to work. You as a tourist, do not need to get to work. And, I'm sorry, the elderly do not need to get to work. If you are unable to keep a steady pace and not clog the trains and busses you should wait an hour. The only exception I have to this rule is the handicapped person who is on his/her way to work. All other specialty cases are a one-off.

Sometimes we need to take our son to Sick Kids hospital for an appointment which is smack in the middle of downtown Toronto. Sometimes these appointments force us to get out in rush hour. The hospital does a great job of sticking to appointment times and getting these kids in and out quickly, but sometimes these appointments can drag on, so some amount of supplies for the day are required. I'm sorry if the stroller got in anyone's way one morning, but believe me we HAD to be out and about.

Also, regarding your mean wife and you getting pissed at people on escalators - are there actual signs, or are people just not aware of this unwritten code of behaviour that you somehow want them to magically know?

Here's a tip: 99.99999% of people aren't trying to be an ignorant moron. Nobody wants to inconvenience you. You can stop being an ******* any time, and perhaps be flattered that the place you live is considered so cool that people want to spend time and money to come check it out. Life will be more fun, trust me.

Sometimes we need to take our son to Sick Kids hospital for an appointment which is smack in the middle of downtown Toronto. Sometimes these appointments force us to get out in rush hour. The hospital does a great job of sticking to appointment times and getting these kids in and out quickly, but sometimes these appointments can drag on, so some amount of supplies for the day are required. I'm sorry if the stroller got in anyone's way one morning, but believe me we HAD to be out and about.

Also, regarding your mean wife and you getting pissed at people on escalators - are there actual signs, or are people just not aware of this unwritten code of behaviour that you somehow want them to magically know?

Here's a tip: 99.99999% of people aren't trying to be an ignorant moron. Nobody wants to inconvenience you. You can stop being an ******* any time, and perhaps be flattered that the place you live is considered so cool that people want to spend time and money to come check it out. Life will be more fun, trust me.

Your case is a one-off, not the norm. If people brought strollers on subways and buses, like yourself, only when there is an express reason to do so then I wouldnt mind the sight of a lone stroller. Of course, you being in Toronto and me being in New York... you would bring a blow-up woman, a bazooka, a full suit of plate armor and a gold plated dildo that plays "Come all ye Faithful" and it wouldnt really effect me, to be honest.

99.99999% of the time is an outrageously high number. At least 50% of the ignorant morons fully intend to be ignorant morons. I've never been to Toronto... perhaps you have fewer morons (I doubt it... one thing I can always seem to count on wherever I might be is the moron population.)

If there are no laws or restrictions on blocking train doors and snarling foot traffic there should be, and they should be enforced. Perhaps fewer parking tickets at $50 a pop and more "quit being a ****** on the subway" tickets and we could still get a balanced budget... maybe even a surplus.

Ask me sometime about my plans for steel teeth on subway doors...

With all this said, New Yorkers are bigger culprits than tourists most of the time when it comes to this kind of stuff, except for failing to see taxi lines and the before-mentioned tyke going around and around on the revolving doors.

But what do I know, I'm an *******.

Shopping.

I don't get why people, especially some women, "go shopping" as recreation. I would rather shovel coal than set foot in a mall or shopping plaza.

I don't do any grocery shopping either, to speak of, but I did pick up a bottle of vermouth today in a store. I walked in, went to the liquor area, grabbed it, and walked to the checkout counter. I was in and out in less than 2 minutes. Relatively painless, but not something I would consider enjoyable either.

I'm 100% with you there Yoop!

If I am ever forced to go to NY in any part of the five of the " five boroughs"
I will kick scream and fight like a child who dropped his sucker. Apparently you people don't want me there and I don't want to be there.:D Activities everyone seems to enjoy... but me. Going to any city.

At first I wanted to say calm down creamy, but after further thought, the few times I go into downtown Houston a year, I about go crazy from being around a bunch of crazy people. And I know Houston is no where close at all to the craziness of New York. Im sure I would go completely mad if I lived there.

I will kick scream and fight like a child who dropped his sucker. Apparently you people don't want me there and I don't want to be there.:D Activities everyone seems to enjoy... but me. Going to any city.

x2

Your case is a one-off, not the norm. If people brought strollers on subways and buses, like yourself, only when there is an express reason to do so then I wouldnt mind the sight of a lone stroller.

It's not a one-off though. Every day, there are the same amount of appointments with the same number of small children needing to get to the same place. If it's not me hauling that stroller down the sidewalk, it's someone else. And every day there's some asshat bitching about it, since they think these people are out there during rush hour because they want to be.

How do you know people with strollers are only out during rush hour for pleasure? Maybe they're dropping that kid off at daycare, maybe they're doing something else important. But I can pretty much guarantee you that nobody is going out for a fun stroll during early morning rush hour.

The thing about New Yorkers is there's a few of them who think they are super important, just like anywhere else. I've heard nothing but praise from friends and family who have visited the city. Like everywhere, the population is mostly friendly.

Sorry bro, Im not buying it. For everyone such as yourself who has a legitimate reason to be on a crowded train with a giant piece of apparatus there are several more who could have waited an hour. I'm sticking to it, if it were just you and your legions of parents who need to be on the train at rush hour with their reverse rickshaws, congestion would be NOTHING like it is now.

Now I would like to take a moment and say that I am sorry that your little one is requiring extensive doctors visits. That has to wear on any person's nerves. Whatever it is, I hope it gets better.

I've said it a million times, if you don't love New York she will NOT love you. I think it is similar if not exactly the same as how wolfstar feels about his wolfdogs. If you are not willing to deal with everything that comes with living in or even visiting New York, stay the hell out or she will kick your ass. Of course, those of us who love her need to kvetch about it sometimes.

Some New Yorkers love to hate tourists and give the majority a bad rep. I lived there for a few years and saw my fair share of that. However I would say most New Yorkers in my experience just ignore tourists and don't even think twice about it. When you are around that many people 24/7, its too much work to like or dislike everyone around you.

It's not a one-off though. Every day, there are the same amount of appointments with the same number of small children needing to get to the same place. If it's not me hauling that stroller down the sidewalk, it's someone else. And every day there's some asshat bitching about it, since they think these people are out there during rush hour because they want to be.

How do you know people with strollers are only out during rush hour for pleasure? Maybe they're dropping that kid off at daycare, maybe they're doing something else important. But I can pretty much guarantee you that nobody is going out for a fun stroll during early morning rush hour.

When you see them with their kids, strollers, visors, I Heart DC t-shirts (or NYC as the case may be), and fanny packs, it's really easy to tell when someone is out to see the sights.

And I can guarantee you, most of em are out seeing the sights. That said, by all means use the subway during rush hour with a stroller if you have somewhere you need to be, or even if you just want to play tourist. As. Long. As. You. Don't. Block. Traffic. Locals do it too. But the tourists are EASY to identify, and they're hands down the worst offenders.

I've said it a million times, if you don't love New York she will NOT love you. I think it is similar if not exactly the same as how wolfstar feels about his wolfdogs. If you are not willing to deal with everything that comes with living in or even visiting New York, stay the hell out or she will kick your ass. Of course, those of us who love her need to kvetch about it sometimes.

1. I hate when people quote me and I fracked up my grammar/ mechanics:D
2. I don't like tourists who come to see the leaves change but I like there wallets so I keep my mouth shut.
3. So NY may kick your ass but Chicago will rape your freshly gang mutated corpse. I made it out alive, and I stayed on Michigan Ave, two different taxi's refused to take me to the "hood" I was in because I was wearing a "suit" WTF?
I liked Rosemont better.

Back