Activities everyone seems to enjoy... but you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On a little 180 on this thread. "Girl sports" are no fun for anyone BUT. Watching the college softball championships is pretty exciting. College chicks +. Super "girl sports" celebrations. College chicks. Cheering your teammate who struck out. Great stuff. Kick back have a home brew and enjoy

Being fashionable, especially some of the things the millenials are into:
Beltline below buttline, facial piercings, ear guages, and tattoos that are visible while fully dressed (especially face and neck).

Wearing a baseball cap in any place but facing front, unless you are playing catcher. Wearing a cap so large it covers the tops of your ears. Leaving authenticity stickers and tags on caps.

Hoppity said:
Beltline below buttline, facial piercings, ear guages, and tattoos that are visible while fully dressed (especially face and neck).

Wearing a baseball cap in any place but facing front, unless you are playing catcher. Wearing a cap so large it covers the tops of your ears. Leaving authenticity stickers and tags on caps.

As a die hard ball cap bill trained with a baseball wearing it the correct way individual. I can't agree more

First part, not really my thing but I have no problem with it.

The baseball cap thing, yeah, I agree. Nobody beyond the age of 10 should be wearing it like that. Violators should be beaten repeatedly with a large stick.

Rap. Seriously. It's like a combination of disco and opera. Two of the most horrible things in the world.

Eh. I loathe modern commercial rap. But some of the old school stuff and more intelligent modern stuff is really, really good.

yeah, I hear ya. those guys are just dumb as a stump.

Picture 109.jpg

Picture 110.jpg

Picture 114.jpg

Picture 141.jpg

Billy-Klubb said:
yeah, I hear ya. those guys are just dumb as a stump.

Well, while I would never call someone with visible and or copious amounts of tattoos dumb(well maybe, behind their back and not within earshot ;)), I never have seen the appeal of tattoos. I don't see the need to have artwork, quotes, Chinese letters, etc. on my body. But it's everybody's choice what they do and don't do with their body. So all those that enjoy tattoos, have at it. But I won't be joining you.

Well, while I would never call someone with visible and or copious amounts of tattoos dumb(well maybe, behind their back and not within earshot ;)), I never have seen the appeal of tattoos. I don't see the need to have artwork, quotes, Chinese letters, etc. on my body. But it's everybody's choice what they do and don't do with their body. So all those that enjoy tattoos, have at it. But I won't be joining you.

I have done as your sig suggested. so when are we gonna get matching leprechaun tattoos?

My wife has three tattoos, and will occasionally give me crap like, "oh, you're too afraid of needles to get one." No, I don't care about the needles (I regularly give blood, so obviously I don't fear that), I just can't think of a single thing I'd put on my body without looking back in 25 years and wondering, "what the hell was I thinking?!"

I REALLY don't get the Chinese tattoo thing. Having studied Japanese and Chinese for a number of years, I can generally read all of those tattoos so it's not like some mystic language to me. It's just like printing "BRAVERY" or whatever in big ****ing letters on your skin IMO. I don't understand the point.

My wife has three tattoos, and will occasionally give me crap like, "oh, you're too afraid of needles to get one." No, I don't care about the needles (I regularly give blood, so obviously I don't fear that), I just can't think of a single thing I'd put on my body without looking back in 25 years and wondering, "what the hell was I thinking?!"

this right here is why people shouldn't get tattoos on impulse. I know exactly why I got every single tattoo. I understand they will fade & stretch. they all have meaning and that will not fade from my mind.

what's funny is that I am afraid of needles. hahahaha!!!

Things people love that I despise:

Social media- I don't care enough about anybody's daily life to need continuous updates on how they're feeling or what they're doing.

Team sports- I admire and respect individual excellence in just about every category. But team sports stifle individual excellence.

Pseudo sports- Figure skating, gymnastics, diving, any competition that uses judges to decide the "winner". The only legitimate way to decide a competition is by who crossed the line first.

Wine- What do people see in this swill?

Pop culture- All of it. I don't care about celebrities of any variety. I do watch movies and TV a bit. I occasionally listen to music. I just don't care about the people who make the stuff.

News- I'll do my own thinking, thank you very much. And I have plenty of my own problems to deal with. I don't need to hear about other people's troubles.

Organized religion- Like others have said, religion is personal. I have mine, you have yours. Let's leave it at that.

Politics- I'll live my life, you live yours. What's so complicated about that idea?

Things people hate that I love:

Being barefoot- I don't mean at the beach or on a freshly mowed lawn. I mean all day every day. If I had my way I wouldn't even own a pair of shoes.

Isolation- I would survive quite happily on a deserted island on my own.

Books- I doubt anybody hates books. But my dream house has a large library in it.

Thinking- It's a lost art. Humans are little more than verbose chimps these days.

Masculinity- A lack of ovaries is not a birth defect. I revel in my beard, my body hair, and the results of my hours in the gym.

Team sports. With basketball being the worst ... having to watch it for too long causes a version of An American Werewolf in London where I change species by the light of a full moon ... Bad Moon Rising playing in the background. Very ugly.

Televisions in bars. If I want to watch TV I’ll watch it in my living room.
The only thing that’s worse than televisions in bars; is televisions in bars with big-mouthed swill-soaked tough-guys yelling and cursing profusely at that television because there’s a sports game on. Back in the days when I hung around bars, it was a matter of just go call the police right now because after I start telling people to STFU, I’m going to get in their faces and make them un-ball their fists and say “yes sir” and smile nicely at me and some who wont are going out through the window.
Ok, I've learned to relax since those days ... but I still have no use for televisions in bars.

I don’t like Jim Morrison and the Doors and I don’t like Jack Daniels ... I know, makes me un-American.
Ok, so I do like the one song the Doors do “The End” and while I don’t drink Jack black I do like Jim green.

Reality TV. I think Reality TV is actually worse than watching the Jerry Springer show (which I hate).
But at least with Jerry Springer I can find humor in reminding myself that he started out as a politician and progressed to hosting The Jerry Springer Show.
And in a similar vein ... schadenfreude. I don’t take pleasure in seeing other people put in the position of being miserable and making fools of themselves on television or in real life.

Like Creamy says ... exotic dancers.
I don’t need that kind of stimulation ... I already have too much inappropriate enthusiasm on my own. Maybe in another 10 years my testosterone will drop to half and I’ll be able to comfortably watch go-go girls without feeling the painfully overwhelming need to mate with all of them like some turgid buck in the rut.
Now, on the other hand I wouldn’t mind *owning* a titty bar ... and while I’m at it, running a numbers and sports betting operation out of the back ... but that’s a whole other ballgame.

Facebook.
I don’t get it. WTF possesses people? Facebook is like an exhibitionism fetish without the money shot. What’s the point?

Texting.
Texting to communicate? Really??
It’s like choosing to use chopsticks to eat soup.
Why?

There’s lots of additional stuff that I could rant about, but this thread was about things that others like that I don’t ... so I’ll just leave it at that.

Great thread Creamy. Very cathartic. I actually feel better than if I had dropped $175 at the shrink. My spleen thanks you.

I REALLY don't get the Chinese tattoo thing. Having studied Japanese and Chinese for a number of years, I can generally read all of those tattoos so it's not like some mystic language to me. It's just like printing "BRAVERY" or whatever in big ****ing letters on your skin IMO. I don't understand the point.

I just want to know if you have ever read someones tattoo and said "why the hell did you get pheasent tattoo on you" only to be told "no no, it means Pleasant" (You get what I'm meaning right?)

we have a lot of fanatics here that say "we" when referring to the teams. they don't seem to understand they they are not part of the team in any way.

Used to annoy me too, but then I realized it's just people having fun, so I got over it. They don't think they're part of the team.

Although.... what would a team be without actual fans? They don't last very long if nobody is showing up to the games, or watching them on TV. The fans are arguably the most important part of any sports franchise.

Camping? WTF?

I'm not talking about taking a backpack and heading off into the wilderness to commune with nature.

Family camping. Going somewhere with a big-ass tent (or a camper or RV for that matter) and working your ass off to be inconvenienced. Most the time people go off to some ****ty campground and have to put up with camping neighbors. Again WTF?

Where is the joy in that

I used to think this as well, but now our "camping" weekend with my wife's sister and her family is really the only time I get to spend with them. It's a lot of fun just hanging out in tents with the nephews for a weekend, and having their camper makes it a hell of a lot easier to cook breakfast for 4 adults and 5 kids.

Something to be said for a 15-minute pile-everything-in-to-the-car-and-lets-GTFO-of-here when it's time to leave.

Still prefer our backpacking and canoe trips though - for sure.

Used to annoy me too, but then I realized it's just people having fun, so I got over it. They don't think they're part of the team.
thank you for the enlightened response, but that doesn't make it any less irritating. "We're hoping to get him on the draft pick." thanks coach.

Although.... what would a team be without actual fans? They don't last very long if nobody is showing up to the games, or watching them on TV. The fans are arguably the most important part of any sports franchise.
it would be a great start.

I really floccing despise pro, college, and high school sports.

I just want to know if you have ever read someones tattoo and said "why the hell did you get pheasent tattoo on you" only to be told "no no, it means Pleasant" (You get what I'm meaning right?)

Yes, I see people with stupid tattoos that don't mean what their owners think all the time.

Although I did meet Magnus ver Magnusson one time and he has a pretty good (and appropriate) one which means "danger".

manliest+names4.jpg

Going out for drinks after work.

You see, it's fun and all, but here's the catch.

Work ends at 4:00. Traffic is just starting to get bad, but do-able. If you go to the bar for an hour though, traffic at 5:00 is TERRIBLE - you're looking at a commute that will take 2x as long. So option a is to just leave at 4 and be home by 4:45, or option b which is go to the bar, leave at 5, then get home at like 6:30-7:00. Yeah, no thanks.

Work ends at 4:00. Traffic is just starting to get bad, but do-able. If you go to the bar for an hour though, traffic at 5:00 is TERRIBLE - you're looking at a commute that will take 2x as long. So option a is to just leave at 4 and be home by 4:45, or option b which is go to the bar, leave at 5, then get home at like 6:30-7:00. Yeah, no thanks.

Sounds like you guys need to convert an old school bus into a mobile bar. Each week someone drives and drops people off, meanwhile everyone in the back gets to have their beer.

See it is just the opposite in the traffic area I have to drive in for work (Washington, DC). Traffic starts getting terrible at 3:45pm and continues till about 7pm. If you get off work at say 5 or 5:30 you might as well go out for drinks and head home after 7pm. Pretty much most major US cities are like that with a rush hour that lasts 4-5 hours morning and evening! No thank you!

Hope Vine with Flowers around your upper arm?

Yes, I see people with stupid tattoos that don't mean what their owners think all the time.

Although I did meet Magnus ver Magnusson one time and he has a pretty good (and appropriate) one which means "danger".

I saw an interview with Mr. Ver Magnusson and read another a few years back and I was struck with the feeling that while he could probably tear a man's arms off his body that he was one of the nicer people on the planet. Was he really that nice in real life?

Internet Forums.

Hate 'em.

It is full of people who:
- think their opinions matter
- act like they are smarter than they really are
- try to make themselves seem tougher than they really are
- boast about their personal possessions and insignificant accomplishments

The only real redeeming part of internet forums is reading about what upsets all those nerds out in the real world.
Also, nobody seems to get my sense of humor on the inerwebz.

I saw an interview with Mr. Ver Magnusson and read another a few years back and I was struck with the feeling that while he could probably tear a man's arms off his body that he was one of the nicer people on the planet. Was he really that nice in real life?

The guy is from Iceland, so I'm pretty sure he's chill.

I spent 10 days in Reykyavik 4 years ago by myself. Nice people, felt safe, decent weather.

I totally pictured him by the end of the interview getting done throwing beer kegs over his head and pulling aircraft carrier anchors and then petting kittens and helping old ladies across the street. "I do wish American football was popular in Iceland when I was younger. I think I would have been really good at that."

Between his sheer strength and his center of gravity youd have to hope he slipped and fell. Having a couple guys holding on for dear life hoping to slow him down would be ineffective. The last time I saw him in action I was in high school (maybe it was college) and he won #1 over a gentleman from South Africa (who also seemed like a nice guy, by the way). Magnus was so far ahead from #2 it was almost a complete route.

Between his sheer strength and his center of gravity youd have to hope he slipped and fell. Having a couple guys holding on for dear life hoping to slow him down would be ineffective. The last time I saw him in action I was in high school (maybe it was college) and he won #1 over a gentleman from South Africa (who also seemed like a nice guy, by the way). Magnus was so far ahead from #2 it was almost a complete route.

I would just like to point out that when people reach a certain strength/size almost EVERYONE says they are a "nice guy".

One of two things happening there:
1) people fear for their lives around them

or

2) When people get huge they can afford to be nice since there is no way anyone will take advantage of them, judge them, or abuse them.

People. I just can't stand people. It's why I'm so honest online. I don't have to see any of you and deal with you. I'm so used to dealing with people in extremely negative situations that I just don't want to deal with people at all anymore. It's also why I do so many activities like home brewing: I prefer to do things myself over dealing with people to acquire things I need or want.

Anything and everything related to hipsters. This one could fall under people I guess, but I personally don't consider hipsters to be people in the normal sense. They have their own little world.

Paying tolls. I live on an island and pay a toll no matter which direction I attempt to drive off of it. It's getting old.

And in that same vein: NYC. Everyone seems to love it, especially hipsters (sorry creamy). I hate it here. I can't wait to move. My career is too good to give up though so I'm basically forcing myself to deal with it until I can retire, which thankfully is only 9 years from now.

Oh yeah, and full service only gas stations. Holy crap that's the worst thing in the entire world to me. I get near panic attacks waiting for the attendant to get to me, especially once I'm actually at the pump because I know exactly how many gallons could have already been pumped into my car if I was allowed to do it myself. I spend a lot of time in NJ where full service is the law. Unfortunately, NJ also has the cheapest gas in the union by far, so I frequently find myself in a real conundrum: to fill up or not to fill up. My mother in law talks about full service as if its the best thing in the world. I'm sure legions of her fellow suburban housewives agree. I on the other hand hate it to the point of having actually argued with a midget gas station attendant over the value of his job compared to the time I lose whenever I stop for gas in NJ (if you don't believe me. Ask anyone who frequents the Garden State Parkway. There's two midgets at the rest stops. They're famous).

If I ever go on a rampage, it starts at a NJ gas station. Mark my words. :D

Oh yeah, and full service only gas stations. Holy crap that's the worst thing in the entire world to me. I get near panic attacks waiting for the attendant to get to me, especially once I'm actually at the pump because I know exactly how many gallons could have already been pumped into my car if I was allowed to do it myself. I spend a lot of time in NJ where full service is the law. Unfortunately, NJ also has the cheapest gas in the union by far, so I frequently find myself in a real conundrum: to fill up or not to fill up. My mother in law talks about full service as if its the best thing in the world. I'm sure legions of her fellow suburban housewives agree. I on the other hand hate it to the point of having actually argued with a midget gas station attendant over the value of his job compared to the time I lose whenever I stop for gas in NJ (if you don't believe me. Ask anyone who frequents the Garden State Parkway. There's two midgets at the rest stops. They're famous).

If I ever go on a rampage, it starts at a NJ gas station. Mark my words. :D

It's the law? Wow, I never knew that.

Do you happen to know why that law exists?

2 reasons why that law exists (its a state law obviously), 1 because it creates more jobs in the state and 2 it is seen as environmentally responsible to not let people pump their own gas but let professionals who are trained to pump gas, something about there being a less of a chance to spill gas, etc etc...so more jobs and better for the environment.

Back