Graphic Designer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LudovicoManin

Reaction score
Hey all.... I am sure this gets asked a lot around this site though I can't ever seem to find the threads when I need them. What is your preferred method for creating labels and other images for our "businesses"? I am wanting to do labels and a logo to keep on my bottles, but graphic design costs are.... insane.

I don't have hundreds of dollars to spend.... but I still want a logo and someone to design my labels for me. Is it a pipe dream without spending the cash? To be clear, I am willing to spend money, but not a ton. Not sure if there are people that do it for the "love of the game" and help people out, but I would love to know what you all do.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, I am going to assume you are.

I was just asking for guidance and a connection or two… not handouts.

As a previous journeyman plumber who would do jobs at a nauseatingly low fee (parts + lunch or a beer) just so people wouldn't have to pay for something basic, I do believe there are people who want to grow their portfolio doing simple side jobs for a nominal fee.

Maybe throw out what you're looking for - name, basic idea, etc to see if there are any bites.

Ok, without sarcasm this time. There are young, beginning, and/or hobby graphic artists. Hobbyists might be your best bet.

Approach with respect of their craft and time. Be absolutely upfront and as clear as possible about what you want. If your description left room for their creative license and you don't like the product, that's on you. Be honest about your budget. Let them set their rate. If you don't like it, adjust your scope of work in lieu of trying to haggle their price. Artists, especially independents, often work in a nonprofit world and will typically undersell themselves. Their landlords and grocers don't.

Not sure why all the hate. To be clear, I was never asking for anything for free.... just asking if there was a network on this site tat helps each others out that I could tap into.

Not sure why all the hate. To be clear, I was never asking for anything for free.... just asking if there was a network on this site tat helps each others out that I could tap into.
It's likely an overcorrection or oversensitivity to the common art trope of "do this job for free and it will help build your portfolio". I'm not claiming YOU said that but so many people say it, it's almost like artists just instinctively pucker their butthole as soon as they sense you may be going there. I was a professional musician for half my life and people think it's completely reasonable to send you home with $40 for an entire night's work.

No hate. You asked for guidance in purchasing a service from an artist at a discount. As a professional in the arts, I offered my perspective based on lots of experience of non-arts people balking at the fair value of an artist's time. I don't believe this same phenomenon happens with the plumber or mechanic.

It's likely an overcorrection or oversensitivity to the common art trope of "do this job for free and it will help build your portfolio". I'm not claiming YOU said that but so many people say it, it's almost like artists just instinctively pucker their butthole as soon as they sense you may be going there. I was a professional musician for half my life and people think it's completely reasonable to send you home with $40 for an entire night's work.

Exactly. "For the love of the game."

Honestly, there's no hate on this thread. I think it's just that we've not seen this type of request before. All the comments on here are coming from a place of help. Maybe they just read otherwise to some.

Did you have ideas for the logo, name, mascot, verbiage, etc? Maybe the Show Us Your Label or What is Your Home Brewery's Name? threads can give some inspiration.

Is there a community college near you where there might be a student who would be happy to take a small amount of cash for designing a logo that maybe they could also apply as a project for their classes?

I don't know... just throwing that out as an idea.

Is there a community college near you where there might be a student who would be happy to take a small amount of cash for designing a logo that maybe they could also apply as a project for their classes?

I don't know... just throwing that out as an idea.

This is exactly why I suggested Fiver. My daughter is going to SVA in NYC and she's been taking art commissions on Fiver for several years.

throw a description of what you want your logo / label to look like into one of the many free AI image creators on the web and see what it spits out. I've had decent luck with a book cover using bing.com/create but there are several to choose from - just google "AI image creator". If you don't like the first thing it gives you, adjust the text description and try again. You'll be surprised at how good they are.

Latest posts

Back