Accuracy of Hopshot calculation in Beersmith?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nosoup4me

Reaction score
Going by Northern Brewer I should be using 7.13 ml for 60 IBUS in a 1.080 OG at a 90 min boil for a 6 gallon batch.

Beersmith is saying to add 10 ml to get the same 60 IBU.

Just wondering why there's a difference.

__

One thing I tried was to enter a recipe from Zymergy that has all the stats (OG, Vol, Total IBUs) to see if their stats would match Beersmith's calculations.

I used Zymergy's Focal Point that uses 6-7 ml of hopshot @ 60 minutes and then later hop additions to get a total of 80 IBUs (45 hopshot + 35 late additions). When entering the same recipe in Beersmith I'm showing 7 ml would need to be used to get that initial ~45 IBUS.

So maybe Beersmith's calcs are correct?

Probably because everything about IBU is an estimate. There are a ton of of variables that final IBU depends on, not to mention perceived bitterness compared to actual IBU.

You need to try it yourself, see what you think about it and adjust accordingly.

Probably because everything about IBU is an estimate. There are a ton of of variables that final IBU depends on, not to mention perceived bitterness compared to actual IBU.

You need to try it yourself, see what you think about it and adjust accordingly.

Thanks, I think I'll go with Beersmith and do the 10 ml and see where it gets me. Hopefully this inst a huge bitter bomb and I get the calculated 60 IBUs and not the potentially 90 IBU from NB's calc.

Back