Accidentally used Special B instead of Black Patent

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
100%

Though there's a couple cases that I feel are "Porter" specifically. Those being the ones one the brown end of the spectrum, and baltic porters, though honestly the latter is a completely separate style that just happens to share a name due to the migration of styles.

The biggest thing that gets me is the "Robust Porter" style, which basically just means, well, Stout Porter.

Though honestly, idfc what people choose to call their beer. As long as they don't try to tell me its 100% not the other style for some meaningless reason like malted vs unmalted roasted grains.

Last edited:
from that page....i got a kick out of this comment....

porter - a person employed to carry luggage and other loads

stout - a person somewhat fat or of heavy build

All clear?

;^)

LOL:

so you're saying it's like t-bone steaks? they're all t-bones, but only some can be called porter house?

Yes your personal opinion. Stout and porters go back in history to the UK and were used at different times for the same beers. You can dive into shutupaboutbercleyperkins to get deeper into that subject, I can highly recommend it.
Let's not coopt the thread with this debate . . . 😬😅

So, I brewed a porter and just realized I used Special B instead of Black Patent, which I intended.

Here is the grain bill:

63% Pale Malt
12% Munich
8% Chocolate Malt
8% C45
5% Flaked Barley
4% Special B

My concern is that this may turn out too sweet. Am I correct to assume this?
What is the actual amount of special B and chocolate malt?

from that page....i got a kick out of this comment....
porter - a person employed to carry luggage and other loads
stout - a person somewhat fat or of heavy build
All clear?
;^)
LOL:
so you're saying it's like t-bone steaks? they're all t-bones, but only some can be called porter house?
That sounds like me carrying a bag of groceries, or a keg into the kegerater. Lets here it for all the Stout Porters on HBT!!! :D

Quick update.

Not fair to judge it right now as there is definitely some carbonic bite, but it isn't horrible. I think the chocolate malt was just enough to keep it from being cloying.

PXL_20210818_020100936.PORTRAIT.jpg

I'll give a final update in a few days.

Quick update.

Not fair to judge it right now as there is definitely some carbonic bite, but it isn't horrible. I think the chocolate malt was just enough to keep it from being cloying.

View attachment 739439

I'll give a final update in a few days.

when you give another update, be sure to give it the double pour treatment, and have the head thick and out the top! those bubbles look way to big for a pic....

and honestly, i know my judgment is of ...well...but it looks good!

(as a note the double is rough first fill mostly foam, then wait for the glass to 'thicken' until just about right for a gentle pour to finish the glass full. looks like this

1629253053535.jpeg
1629253077286.jpeg

)

Last edited:
Back