AB Super Bowl Ad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone, just relax sit back and enjoy a brew... stop worrying about what others are drinking.

this is what I'm trying to get at in the OTHER bud hate/discussion thread. Too many people get a stick up their ass about something so inconsequential. I get people like beer and to talk about beer. But why do they have to turn it in to this cliquey, club thing.

this is what I'm trying to get at in the OTHER bud hate/discussion thread. Too many people get a stick up their ass about something so inconsequential. I get people like beer and to talk about beer. But why do they have to turn it in to this cliquey, club thing.

OK mister - you're officially out of the club now!

It's a bit late, but I host a podcast about beer and the most recent episode was a discussion of this commercial. Personally the biggest problem I had with it was its intentional divisiveness. There is room in the world for people who like Bud and people who drink other beers, and they don't have to hate on each other for their choices. But this ad clearly is trying to split the camps and draw lines between them. You can listen to our discussion about it here: http://www.loadeddicenetwork.com/podcasts/learn-beer-episode-3-budweisers-super-bowl-surprise/

Regarding that Carhartt ad, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same ad firm (Anomaly). That ad is even worse. What, the guys who build roads and stadiums don't like to take vacations? They need them more than anyone else!

OK mister - you're officially out of the club now!

it's spelled K-l-u-b-b. and if anyone leaves or gets kicked out Klubb's Clubbing Club of Klubbs, they get 15 clubbings in the berries over a course of 3 days.

Consistently making bad beer must be a great art form, for so many home brewers to think it is some quality to be proud of.

Drinking consistently made bad beer and then telling people that it is great because it was consistently made bad, is something I will never understand, especially when you have tasted the difference.

InBev makes great commercials, they have the marketing money to do it, they have the experience, they just don't do it consistently.

I can't call it bad since it's made to have minimal flavor. Praise it all you want, but consistently making something with minimal flavor is not very difficult either.

consistently making something with minimal flavor is not very difficult either.

Are you sure about that?

Have you ever actually tried?

I challenge you to make the plainest, most flavourless beer you can. Use all the corn and rice you want, totally eschew hops, whatever you think will work. I'll bet you'll find the resulting beer has noticeable diacetyl. Or acetaldehyde. Or frustratingly prominent esters. Or yada yada yada. With no malt backbone or hop bitterness to hide behind, flavour flaws are more noticeable.

Budweiser brews billions of gallons of perfectly flavourless beer. Can you brew 5? It's not as easy as you think.

Are you sure about that?

I challenge you to make the plainest, most flavourless beer you can. Use all the corn and rice you want, totally eschew hops, whatever you think will work. I'll bet you'll find the resulting beer has noticeable diacetyl. Or acetaldehyde. Or frustratingly prominent esters. Or yada yada yada. With no malt backbone or hop bitterness to hide behind, flavour flaws are more noticeable.

Budweiser brews billions of gallons of perfectly flavourless beer. Can you brew 5? It's not as easy as you think.

Yeah, it's pretty easy. Making something with lots of (good, well-balanced) flavor with a consistent flavor profile is far more difficult. Anyone with good fermentation control and some experience brewing lagers can do it. Keep believing whatever you want, maybe you just haven't had much luck with homebrewing if you feel it's out of your reach. If so, don't be discouraged, it's easier than you think.

Are you sure about that?

I challenge you to make the plainest, most flavourless beer you can.

Most will not take you on your challenge due to the fact that they don't want a plain/flavorless beer, those accepting your challenge will probably meet it by urinating in a cup and adding a single hop pellet.

Are you sure about that?

Why would anyone want to waste their time trying to make bad beer?

TV dinners are remarkably consistent tasting, too. But nobody's praising their slimy cardboard taste and saying keeping it consistent is a difficult as being a world- class chef.

I think the ad is great. Bud is a no frills drinking beer. Lot's of people just want a light lager with less hops. Bud isn't that great. But I think it's rather absurd that craft brewers are going out of their way to make "different" but not necessarily better beers.

The "easy way." I think that's funny. I do think we don't have any American craft brewers making German style beer because it's so much easier to use a ton of hops, slap a pretty name on it and get it to marketing.

Bud of course is brewed the easy way with automated technology. So there is a bit of irony.

I think this commercial was a great advertisement and really I want to know the production team who produced it. It was a great product in itself.

But I think it's rather absurd that craft brewers are going out of their way to make "different" but not necessarily better beers.

The "easy way." I think that's funny. I do think we don't have any American craft brewers making German style beer because it's so much easier to use a ton of hops, slap a pretty name on it and get it to marketing.

Not only do we make better beers, I think the American Craft brewer's here in the USA make the best beer.

The reason we do not have that many Craft American brewers making German style beers, is because the market for craft German beers is very small.

But if you think that Home Brewers and Craft Breweries are making Ales because it is easier, then may I suggest you head on over to the DIY forum on Home Brew Talk. There you will find that we home brewers are more than willing to do just about anything to make the style and taste that we desire. Hard or easy has nothing to do with it, we go the extra mile and then two more after that.

Theres a billboard down the street that reads "superior light beer" and shows a guy and girl jogging. Now to me thats some funny ****. People actually believe this advertising crap. Wake the **** up!

Say what you will about the ad, I thought it was a win for craft breweries. The "King of Beer" is worried enough about them that they spend a metric **** ton of money on a Super Bowl commercial to take a shot at the little guy. Bravo for the little guy.

On the other hand, I'm born and raised in St. Louis. Because of A-B, and yes, now ABInbev, our top rated Zoo is free. Our worldclass art museum is free. Our planetarium is free. The things they give back to the local community is beyond compare.

And for homebrewers, they sponsor a homebrew club. And once a year, they give away all the free hops you can carry. I'm talking big industrial trash bags full of free hops. And not just to the homebrew club. TO EVERYONE.

I might not drink most of their beers, but the company does a lot of good things for the people that live around them. And that's more than I can say for a lot of big corporations...

I see where cjokrap is coming from on this. They are seeing their 50% of the market slip through their fingers because breweries like Boston, dogfish, Belgium, and Sierra Nevada are probably cutting pretty deep into their pockets at this point. They're nervous enough about it to glorify a beer that people only drink to get drunk. Not because it tastes good.

They do provide us and smaller breweries with opportunities. Redhook, goose island, and other really good varieties are available in some of the most back water gas stations because of their distribution by InBev.

I never like giving the Walmart of beer my money, but it's nice that I can get 2 tall boys of red hook long hammer ipa for 2.50 at the gas station by my house.

The commercial made me feel good, though. Maybe a proud beer snob. I'm better than that beer. They weren't making fun of good beer, they were selling it to people who don't.

In my experience, this is not true. Relatively speaking a good malt bill is much easier to dial in than a top-notch hop schedule. Both Kölsch and Alt are good beers for getting used to developing your own recipe because they are relatively simple and you can get a very acceptable beer on your first try.

On the other hand, IPAs are hard. Just dumping a bunch of high-alpha hops in your boil kettle doesn't make your beer a good IPA. It's not just about bitterness, it's about flavor. Trying to put together a hop bill with multiple varieties that will complement each other and give you the bitterness level, flavor and aroma you're after is pretty much a trial-and-error experience and there's no good way to determine ahead of time what works and what doesn't. You just have to keep experimenting.

And of course, the American Pale Lager isn't really a German style any longer. It has been changed over time and has a flavor, aroma and mouthfeel of its own. It uses a larger percentage of corn and rice to lighten the body and dry out the finish. These is also less expensive than brewing with 100% barley or wheat. It's up to the individual to decide whether cost of brewing is part of the hard way calculation.

I think this commercial was a great advertisement and really I want to know the production team who produced it. It was a great product in itself.
The company is called Anomaly.

It's hypocritical & funny at the same time. They buy up all those craft breweries, then shoot themselves in the foot financially by putting them down as only for sissies. But they have to pump up their own followers by trying to make them feel better about their choice to drink that stuff. Then, above all that, they don't advertise very publicly that they own those craft breweries.
I was just thinking some of us should get together with our cameras & do a parody commercial to turn things around & put the shoe on the other foot. I think it'd be funny!:rockin:

I agree. I don't know what the allure of drinking crap beer is... the same people who gush over BMC are the same people who think it's "hip" to drink PBR. I just don't understand the thrill of drinking swill like BMC/PBR!

Guess I'm the oddball. My Super Bowl brews consisted of Dale's Pale Ale and PBR. One man's swill is another man's beer. To view it any other way is being a snob and right on point for the ad.

I wish I could get natty light in sixths so it would fit in my meister with the other kegs! Natty has that incredible absence of flavor I wish I could replicate.

....and them dirty Sums of Itches are going to do it again!!

http://time.com/money/4210344/budweiser-super-bowl-50-ad-mock-craft-beer/

That does it....I'm going to the store right now and dumping all the bud out onto the floor...

WHO'S WITH ME!!!!

We're not going to take it! NO! We ain't gonna take it....We're not gonna take it any moooooore

Haha!

The idiots at AB must have a moron for the PR guy who approved the message. What's the best way to ostracize the departing consumer base? Make fun of them, of course!

Don't you worry, mr Budweiser, the feelings are mutual. :)

I watched most of the Super Bowl Ads and to me, most were a forgettable waste of (my) time and the advertiser's money. The only product I wanted to buy was a cool looking car that I can't remember who makes and I can't afford anyway.

I'm with the guy in Robocop on the car thing. I want it real low with leather seats & gets really shizzy gas milage! But with so many craft brewers/drinkers out there, it's amusing to try & figure out their line of reasoning. Owning all those craft breweries & buying more, well,...:goat:

I'm looking forward to next year's Superbowl, when we (Canadians) can finally get to see the much ballyhooed US commercials. In Canada, the broadcaster with the rights to the Superbowl replaces the US commercials with Canadian commercials. And not the high production value ones, either. The same old boring ones you see any other time you watch TV. But last year, the government finally ordered the networks to stop pre-empting the US commercials, and next year, we'll be watching the same talked-about commercials as you guys.

I'm looking forward to next year's Superbowl, when we (Canadians) can finally get to see the much ballyhooed US commercials. In Canada, the broadcaster with the rights to the Superbowl replaces the US commercials with Canadian commercials. And not the high production value ones, either. The same old boring ones you see any other time you watch TV. But last year, the government finally ordered the networks to stop pre-empting the US commercials, and next year, we'll be watching the same talked-about commercials as you guys.

Unfortunately, unless things greatly improve between this year and next, you will be very disappointed.

On behalf of 'Murica, I apologize in advance.

I saw very little of the game and therefore very few ads. I thought the singing sheep ad was clever. Did not see the ad dis-ing craft beer.

I saw very little of the game and therefore very few ads. I thought the singing sheep ad was clever. Did not see the ad dis-ing craft beer.

I didn't actually catch much of the commercials (was with a big group of people and couldn't hear much of the TV).

I only saw part of the AB commercial (the words "IT ISN'T FRUIT SALAD" with a guy flicking an orange slice off the rim of his pint glass). Seems like more of a jab at Blue Moon...or maybe they were snubbing their Shock Top commercial from the 1st quarter? ;)

Interesting Bud would give craft brew so much attention in an uber expensive superbowl ad..... For instance most average canadians don't even know what "craft beer" is.

I think it was good for craft brewing personally and i'm suprised they done it.

I only saw part of the AB commercial (the words "IT ISN'T FRUIT SALAD" with a guy flicking an orange slice off the rim of his pint glass). Seems like more of a jab at Blue Moon...or maybe they were snubbing their Shock Top commercial from the 1st quarter? ;)

I laughed at that part.

I got that in a bar one time. I ordered a Blue Moon and got the orange. A biker-type sitting at the bar told me to 'enjoy my soup'.

I laughed, not just because he was a scary-looking biker, but because I thought it was a pretty good line. :D

Posturing is the only weapon they have that will work with the people who still drink their product. They're basically saying, "you're cool because you still drink our 'beer'!"
I find it funny that they are buying up craft beer market share to hedge their bets while claiming to not back down:)

Budweiser is a brand, not a company. So they can make fun of silly craft beer trends and be part of a company that sells those trends. Ford makes big burly work trucks and has commercials making fun of wimpy trucks, then also sells tiny hybrid 2 door sedans that couldn't pull a suitcase.

I don't understand why everyone gets their feeling so when Budweiser makes fun of beer trends. And maybe they did it on purpose. There's no such thing as bad publicity.

Back