A small problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BBKing

Reaction score
So I'm doing my first AG batch this weekend :ban: and figure since I'm taking the extra time to brew the beer I may as well pay more attention to pitching rate.

My problem is that I dont have any malt extract to make a starter with and wont be able to make it to the LHBS to pick some up, so I'm stuck with simple sugars. I really dont wanna make a starter with cane sugar to make up for measely 68 billion yeast cells, but if I had to I guess I would.

My only other option is to pitch the Wyeast Activator (1056 American) and also pitch the 11.5g packet of Safale US-05 in along with that and be pretty certain that I'll come damn close to, if not exceed, the proper pitching rate.

What would you do and why?

Oh, and I'm brewing Midwest Supplies Liberty Cream Ale.

I'm just thinking out loud, here, but here's something I might try on my next batch:

1. Take a small portion of your grain bill from your batch, and mash enough of it now to target your starter size at around 1.030 OG. Cool this off and pitch the yeast on it and let it go to town for 24 hours.

2. On brew day, target the same volume minus the starter size. Your hop additions will likely be a little different, so take that into consideration. Once you've finished the boil and cooled it down to pitching temps, dump the entire starter in the main batch.

Never really thought about it b4. What if u used corn sugar or honey to hit the gravity u want? Both highly fermentable. In a pinch it "should" work. More important, what is your projected OG? The activator is 100 billion cells. I'm confused.
Zac

I've used dextrose with some yeast nutrients to get a nice starter going with good success.

I think I would just pitch the activator as is. But it is an interesting question.

Most commercial cream ales have non-malt adjuncts. So, it wouldn't be crazy to make a starter out of adjuncts. To minimize flavor impact you could spread the fermentables around. Corn sugar, cane sugar, honey, maybe even maple syrup. I don't know what the malt syrup they sell at the local supermarket contains. But you could mash some flaked oats and maybe wheat flakes or corn grits.

If you did it far enough in advance, you could decant most of the resulting "brew".

But like I said, especially for your first AG, I would just pitch the Activator pack. It will get the job done and let you focus on all the new processes.

Pitching the liquid and dry yeast would work of course. It would make harvesting and propagating more of an unknown of course.

You may find something called "malta goya" in the grocery store in the ethnic food section. It's basically unfermented wort. Dilute it down to 1.030 and use it as a starter. Decant the liquid and pitch when ready.

If you make a starter with simple sugars (sucrose, dextrose, etc.), you will indeed grow yeast, but they will quickly lose the ability to efficiently metabolize maltose.

Not what you'd want to use to pitch into your wort.

Was anyone gonna remind me that Dry Yeast packs have more cells than liquid yeast and that I'll probably be in good shape with an 11.5g pack of Safale US-05?

Geez, do I have to do all this myself or what?

I can't believe that no one has pointed out [edit: before Ed pointed it out ] that a dry pack of US-05, properly re-hydrated, is plenty of yeast.

Good on you for figuring it out; you are totally correct.

Huh? I thought the whole point was he wanted to pitch the activator pack of 1056...

I do, but I'm more worried about cell count.

The activator pack has 100 billion cells but I need 168 billion cells. And since I dont have any DME to make a proper starter, that option is out.

Yet I forgot that your average 11.5g pack of dry yeast has more cells than an activator pack, thus making it the more viable option. Had I remembered that little fact in the first place, I wouldnt have even started this thread, lol.

:mug:

Back