Question about racking onto a previous beer’s yeast cake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sleepy_D

Reaction score
I’m going to make a Doppelbock this weekend. To get enough yeast I made an international Amber lager using WLP833 German Bock yeast and I was planning on just racking onto the yeast cake/slurry after kegging the Amber. If I hit an OG of 1.090 for the Doppelbock then I’m going to need about 900 Billion cells for a “high gravity lager” pitch rate. When I plug my amber into a yeast starter calculator treating it as a stepped up starter I get an out 1200 billion cells. Do you think I should just pour the new beer onto the entire yeast cake even though it will be about a third more than I need or should I dump out some of the slurry before racking onto it to get closer to the target pitch rate or should I relax and grab another beer

If it is convenient, I'd try to get some of the solids out of there, as some of it is likely trub & cold break, along with dead yeast. Otherwise, it would probably be fine just dump in the new wort.

I do this all the time, and have had great results, though I have the luxury of a conical fermentor with a bottom dump to get out the gummiest of the solids. I drain the solids off, usually around 1/2+ quart, and as soon as it becomes runny, I shut valve and leave the rest in.

If you have a bucket or carboys, then poor slurry off into sanitized container, wash out the stuff that sticks in the bottom, and add back slurry and new wort.

I'm skeptical you can estimate the number of healthy cells in a yeast cake to better than a factor of two.

I'm also skeptical that an overpitch is even a problem, either ever, or more specifically for homebrewing, or even more specifically when homebrewing for a clean fermentation character.

Putting those together, even if you overpitch by a factor of two, I can't imagine it will do bad things to your beer.

So yeah, go for it.

I'm skeptical you can estimate the number of healthy cells in a yeast cake to better than a factor of two.

I'm also skeptical that an overpitch is even a problem, either ever, or more specifically for homebrewing, or even more specifically when homebrewing for a clean fermentation character.

Putting those together, even if you overpitch by a factor of two, I can't imagine it will do bad things to your beer.

So yeah, go for it.
This!

So yeah, go for it.
This is where I was leaning, I’ll just let it rip

Back