A pressure controlled fermentation vessel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WISAKEDJAK

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
I'm hope I'll be forgiven since i'm not brewing a standard brew.
I'm working with milk... I know, right?
Anywho, I was wondering if anyone knew how I may go about fermenting my milk in a pressurized canister that i could possible control? Don't want it exploding on me (Jesus... is that possible?)
I ran into this Corny vessel/keg. At the right size of 2.5 gal / 3 gal, I am very interested... Cornelius Kegs - 3 Gallon - New Archives - Corny Keg
but is there a way to add a pressure control device? Is there such a thing?

I'm new at this and i'm hoping you guys in the brewing word can shed some light on what I can use.
Thanks again everyone.

What you are after is a spunding valve. There are quite a few in the market at the moment as pressure fermenting/carbonating at the end of fermentation has grown in popularity. That is of course if you are relying on fermentation to produce pressure.
Out of curiosity what exactly are you brewing with milk?

Hey, Thanks for the reply.
ooooohhhhhh! and this spunding valve locks or twists onto the carny, right?
What exactly am I brewing? I'm experimenting with my own take on Kefir. Got this idea from this article... "No trip to Mongolia or Central Asia is complete without trying fermented horse milk – called “Airag” (Айраг). I first heard of this exotic intoxicant from my former Uzbek girlfriend who explained that the milk is, “carbonated – like beer.”
Oh, and yes... I'll be relying on the fermentation itself to produce the pressure.
https://adventureprime.com/getting-drunk-on-fermented-horse-milk-in-mongolia/
lolol What do you think?

I first heard of this exotic intoxicant from my former Uzbek girlfriend who explained that the milk is, “carbonated – like beer.”
Looking at the pictures of the concoction being served out of open vessels it's clear that it is anything but carbonated. I very much doubt that Mongolian nomad herders ever had the technological capabilites of producing carbonated drinks.

Looking at the pictures of the concoction being served out of open vessels it's clear that it is anything but carbonated. I very much doubt that Mongolian nomad herders ever had the technological capabilites of producing carbonated drinks.
I took many history and anthropology courses and saw a documentary that briefly talked about it. I’ll see if I can find it. They carbonated it stomachs and skin pouches that were tied and cauterized closed. Same way mountain tribes made kefir

Last edited:
They must have been very lightly carbonated at best. That kind of vessel couldn't be rated for much positive pressure, maybe 0,1-0,2 bar at best. That's still a far stretch from "carbonated like beer".

They must have been very lightly carbonated at best. That kind of vessel couldn't be rated for much positive pressure, maybe 0,1-0,2 bar at best. That's still a far stretch from "carbonated like beer".
I took the statement carbonated like beer as, “carbonated just as beer is” Not saying “as carbonated as beer is”. If that was the statement being made, then from how I saw it being made wouldnt work

Last edited:
Yeah, the statement is definitely ambiguous. I guess the original version of the drink probably has just about the same CO2 content you'd get from an open fermentation. If that is the case then a corny with a spunding valve is probably not the best setup as a corny needs quite a bit of pressure to seal properly and that would lead to excessive carbonation and a foam orgy...

Right... And they also didn't make it out of Kefir. Which is why it'll be an experiment.
Now, I know carbonating kefir is possible by sealing the vessel during a 2nd fermentation. I'd just like to have control over the pressure to avoid a mess.

Last edited:
corny needs quite a bit of pressure to seal properly
Hmmm. can you elaborate a bit? I haven't purchased the corny keg yet - New 3 Gallon AEB Keg - strap - Corny Keg
I was hoping that it would be air tight from the start?
Thanks for your patience everyone! AND SUPER THANKS FOR THE INFO!
I know this seems out of the ordinary, but it's purely experimentation with Kefir.

Hmmm. can you elaborate a bit? I haven't purchased the corny keg yet - New 3 Gallon AEB Keg - strap - Corny Keg
I was hoping that it would be air tight from the start?
With the standard gasket supplied with a Corney keg you need to hit it with a little pressure to fully seat the lid and get an air-tight seal. I switched out my gaskets to the oversized one's available at Williams Brewing so I don't get leaks when using fermentation gas (no/very low pressure) to purge my keg.

With the standard gasket supplied with a Corney keg you need to hit it with a little pressure to fully seat the lid and get an air-tight seal. I switched out my gaskets to the oversized one's available at Williams Brewing so I don't get leaks when using fermentation gas (no/very low pressure) to purge my keg.

Brilliant. Thanks!

Back