A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dia dhuit (hi)

That's Scots Gaelic? That's what Google Translate says. I tried briefly learning Irish, but ran into the same problem I did with French and Italian, where I simply couldn't get the basic pronunciations down, and abandoned it quickly. Spanish and German are the only languages I've had success with aside from English (and I didn't continue pursuing Spanish).

@gavin love the loaded grill looks good, what is the meat?

While you all have been sprecking zie deutshe. I have been tearing out floor with 20 pound demo hammer. Lol had 200 nails in it. That job sucked, will put in floor and wainscot next

That's Scots Gaelic? That's what Google Translate says. I tried briefly learning Irish, but ran into the same problem I did with French and Italian, where I simply couldn't get the basic pronunciations down, and abandoned it quickly. Spanish and German are the only languages I've had success with aside from English (and I didn't continue pursuing Spanish).

Just Irish Q.

Roughly pronounced "Dee ah ghwit"

Howdy friendly friends.

Ran out of propane during my boil today. Luckily, I heard it coming, so just altered the finishing hop times...

50 minute boil with hops at 5 and 0 instead of 10 and 0. Doubt the bittering addition of 50 minutes instead of 60 will make much difference....

See, my problem with French (and to a lesser extent Italian) is that the letters are pronounced in a sensible manner, but half of them aren't pronounced. The Celtic languages, they're all pronounced wrong ;)

Part of the reason for that is that there is a much smaller alphabet.

No j k q v w x y z in the Irish alphabet.

Couple of examples
bh=v (Siobhan, pronounced shiv-awn)
sh sound is inferred by the vowel after the S
(Sean, Siobhan, Sinead)

Class has ended. Have a beer.

I got about as far as "Bean", "Fear" and "Uisce" before I gave up. Neat sounding language but not one I think I'll ever care enough to learn. As much as I try, I am not a polyglot.

Part of the reason for that is that there is a much smaller alphabet.

No j k q v w x y z in the Irish alphabet.

Couple of examples
bh=v (Siobhan, pronounced shiv-awn)
sh sound is inferred by the vowel after the S
(Sean, Siobhan, Sinead)

Class has ended. Have a beer.

Tag me when you get to the lesson on how Caoimhe = Kee-vah

See, my problem with French (and to a lesser extent Italian) is that the letters are pronounced in a sensible manner, but half of them aren't pronounced. The Celtic languages, they're all pronounced wrong ;)

It's ironic since the Gauls were actually the same people as the Celts (Gaul was the Roman word for Celt). Hence the term Romance languages. Fooking Italians took over everything.

It's ironic since the Gauls were actually the same people as the Celts (Gaul was the Roman word for Celt). Hence the term Romance languages. Fooking Italians took over everything.

I remember high school and translating Caesar (I actually was quite adept at Latin, because like Spanish, the pronunciation is pretty straightforward and standard, and the u/v and i/j hurdles are not hard to overcome). Not that it's relevant. Just a lot of accounts of the various wars against the Gauls. Of course, all my Latin knowledge is lost to years of drugs and alcohol. But perhaps that's why I've been able to understand what little of Romance languages I can. I can read far more than I could hear, write, or speak.

My understanding was that the Celts and the Gauls were different. Rome conquered the Gauls. They never truly conquered the Celts. However, the Saxons descended from the Gauls DID conquer the Celts.

I only know a few words and phrases. What I do know is that if you see an "M" and an "F" on the toilet doors in a pub in the Gaeltacht - M means Ladies (Mńa) and F means men (Fir). You'll only make that mistake once.

I once met a man called Derick Herning; a hyperglot on Shetland. He held the Guinness World Record for most languages spoken at the time. He also won Polyglot of Europe after being interviewed by native speakers in 22 languages in one day. Interesting chap.

That's more than I got. My german is pretty much limited to the names of certain food and bier items.

I've have entire conversations with Turkish and Czechoslovakian friends on goolge translate. Close enough.

Top of the morning to friendlies. Hope your day goes smooth and peaceful...I'll thrown in profitable too. 😊

I've have entire conversations with Turkish and Czechoslovakian friends on goolge translate. Close enough.

Top of the morning to friendlies. Hope your day goes smooth and peaceful...I'll thrown in profitable too. 😊

Back at you have a great day! damn im not a morning person and I'm dreading tonight I have to finish the floor and the wainscot in the bathroom

Me neither. I've taken more spanish classes than I care to admit to, and still sound like a retard when trying to speak it.

I've enough of a hard time with my native tongue as it is.

Same here. 4 years of HS Spanish and I feel like I can read it passably, but put me with a native speaker, and they may as well be speaking Mandarin. Too fast for me to keep up.

No worries blizz. Close enough. Poor thing. I've given her a lifetime of hassles (or till she changes it herself).

It's a relatively common name back home.

I'm assuming this is an elaborate plan to move back to Ireland and retire right about the time your kids are dying for someone to spell their names right.

Same here. 4 years of HS Spanish and I feel like I can read it passably, but put me with a native speaker, and they may as well be speaking Mandarin. Too fast for me to keep up.

Jr High: Spanish I
9th Grade: Spanish I again
10th Grade: Spanish II
11th Grade: Spanish III
Sophomore year in college: Spanish I again

I am so good at Spanish I. Go ahead, ask me how to order a :taco:.

I don't even try names after learning how Featheringstonehaugh is pronounced. I just stick with a 'Hey you' until someone tells me how to pronounce their name and even then they will likely still get a 'hey you'.

I am so good at Spanish I. Go ahead, ask me how to order a :taco:.

"I would like eight tacos please."

"¿Que?"

"I said I - WOULD - LIKE - EIGHT - TACOS - PLEASE."

"¿Que?"

"Ugh, Jesus, hold on...." *opens up Google Translate* "NECESSITO - LOS - TACOS - PARA - VIVIR - SEÑOR."

If I ever have kids, they are starting foreign language lessons early.

FWIW, I wouldnt wish my name on any kid. Not too complicated but its just a damn phonetic nightmare to spell, especially over the phone, with the "see" "enn" "vee" etc sounds. Plus with my first name having the weird Y spelling. At work, when I get routed to the IT helpdesk in India, I usually just block out half my day.

All the time, my life just a constant stream of:
Canoban
Canovan
Conovan
Caravan
Caneban
Camiban
Banavan
Banovan
Camavan
Camavam
Canapan

but most commonly:
Cavanaugh, these people are the bane of my existence. I will punch anyone that introduces themselves as such right in their commonplace-last-name face. I've had teachers as a kid that still called me cavanaugh after an entire school year of grading my papers.

"¿Que?"

"¿Que?"

"Ugh, Jesus, hold on...." *opens up Google Translate* "NECESSITO - LOS - TACOS - PARA - VIVIR - SEÑOR."

Im surprised you dont just have little taco cards in your wallet. Hold up however many cards as you want tacos along with some money. Easy peasy

"¿Que?"

"¿Que?"

I would at least expect you to know all the taco flavors at this point.

"¿Que?"

"¿Que?"

Oops, missed my cue.

My one cousin's kids started learning Spanish in kindergarten. Ok, it's just counting and colors and stuff, but really it makes sense to start them then when their brains are still little sponges for language skills.

My biggest problem is that the aren't that many Hispanics in my area, so I had no reason to keep practicing it except if I was at a restaurant, or the couple times I visited somewhere like Cozumel on vacation.

Lafleur
Lefleur
Laflour
Leflour
Laflower
Leflower
Laforge
Laforche

I am more likely to be called one of these names by a stranger than my actual name. It's uncanny. Doesn't matter if they're reading it out loud, or typing it. A vendor whom I've worked with regularly for five years (and even had beers with a few times) recently emailed me as Mr. LeFlour

It's worse for my brother Ross. He routinely gets addressed as Rose LaFlower, and assumed to be female.

My name is nice and easy. Every once in a while they change the E to a U in my last name. Usually when a Hispanic person is spelling it. If they were born and raised in Mexico they usually just call me Andres which is OK by me.

Lafleur
Lefleur
Laflour
Leflour
Laflower
Leflower
Laforge
Laforche

I am more likely to be called one of these names by a stranger than my actual name. It's uncanny. Doesn't matter if they're reading it out loud, or typing it. A vendor whom I've worked with regularly for five years (and even had beers with a few times) recently emailed me as Mr. LeFlour

It's worse for my brother Ross. He routinely gets addressed as Rose LaFlower, and assumed to be female.

Mr. Underscore

What's so challenging there? Arrogantsce!

FWIW, I wouldnt wish my name on any kid. Not too complicated but its just a damn phonetic nightmare to spell, especially over the phone, with the "see" "enn" "vee" etc sounds. Plus with my first name having the weird Y spelling. At work, when I get routed to the IT helpdesk in India, I usually just block out half my day.

All the time, my life just a constant stream of:
Canoban
Canovan
Conovan
Caravan
Caneban
Camiban
Banavan
Banovan
Camavan
Camavam
Canapan

but most commonly:
Cavanaugh, these people are the bane of my existence. I will punch anyone that introduces themselves as such right in their commonplace-last-name face. I've had teachers as a kid that still called me cavanaugh after an entire school year of grading my papers.

Cannabis??

Back