A friendly place for friends who drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is how I picture cities in Canada

south-park-canadians-3.png

Skipping 3 days worth of posts. Did I miss anything?

Tahoe was great, snowboarding was excellent, ton of fun, except for the part about leaving. Short version - spent 10 hours getting from South Lake Tahoe to San Francisco.

Longer version - Got over 2 feet of snow on Sunday, chain controls in effect on the mountain pass road out of town. Bumper to bumper traffic getting out of South Lake Tahoe. Had to pull over to install the snow chains. One of the chains popped off the tire and almost punctured the tire wall (operator failure, but I'll blame a faulty snow chain. yea, faulty chain). Couldn't get it off at this point because the tire ran over the clasp. Flagged down a passing tow truck and borrowed some wire cutters to cut the POS chain off, then backtracked to a gas station and got another set of chains. This ended up being a 3 hour detour...Back on the road - Halfway over the mountain pass every warning light went off on the dashboard. Freaked out, but had to keep going on a one-lane road. This whole time, it's still snowing, and getting dark at this point. Eventually got over the mountain, where it's raining like crazy on the other side. Removed chains on the side of the road in the mud in a downpour and kept going. All dashboard warning lights still on, but the car kept moving. We left Tahoe at 1:30 pm, got into SF at 11:30 pm. Should have been a 3+ hour drive in good weather.

Shhh....now he's going to charge me $75 for my bottle.

Its actually more because i have to go out of my way getting back.

Joey Redner posted it on CCB's Facebook page yesterday. View attachment 344524 people still losing their minds because it's reported as Oskar Blues or Firemans Capital, depending on who is reporting it.

Its the same difference. Firemans owns oskar and Wasatch

What does rye add to an IPA or a pale ale? Thinking I should try something like that this weekend. Probably be brewing Sunday.

Rye pretty similar to other types wheat, but a tad more spicy... very crisp.

That coupled with the hops leads to a crisp refreshing beer with a slight spice and really lets the hops shine, imo.

Fantastic, now I know what's going in @m00ps' next unsolicited care-package.
Oh boy, a friendly voodoo doll. Im actually going to New Orleans for business training early April. If you guys get me all your locks of hair by then, I can probably drunkenly wander around till I find the right person to make a doll out of it

Skipping 3 days worth of posts. Did I miss anything?

Tahoe was great, snowboarding was excellent, ton of fun, except for the part about leaving. Short version - spent 10 hours getting from South Lake Tahoe to San Francisco.

Longer version - Got over 2 feet of snow on Sunday, chain controls in effect on the mountain pass road out of town. Bumper to bumper traffic getting out of South Lake Tahoe. Had to pull over to install the snow chains. One of the chains popped off the tire and almost punctured the tire wall (operator failure, but I'll blame a faulty snow chain. yea, faulty chain). Couldn't get it off at this point because the tire ran over the clasp. Flagged down a passing tow truck and borrowed some wire cutters to cut the POS chain off, then backtracked to a gas station and got another set of chains. This ended up being a 3 hour detour...Back on the road - Halfway over the mountain pass every warning light went off on the dashboard. Freaked out, but had to keep going on a one-lane road. This whole time, it's still snowing, and getting dark at this point. Eventually got over the mountain, where it's raining like crazy on the other side. Removed chains on the side of the road in the mud in a downpour and kept going. All dashboard warning lights still on, but the car kept moving. We left Tahoe at 1:30 pm, got into SF at 11:30 pm. Should have been a 3+ hour drive in good weather.

holy crap man, that's crazy. Wonder what happened there...maybe a bug in the fuses?

Think I'll brew a pale of some sort this weekend. My chico slurry has been dormant for a good 4 or 5mo I tihnk and I'm too lazy to starter, but brewing an ipa in a few weeks; so I'll just brew a generic pale and see wazzup. Debating on just going for quaffer or trying something intredasting. What should I experiment with, @m00ps ?

Try a massive hopstand with 6lbs of cane sugar. Ferment it with a couple saison yeasts and maybe we'll have a better alternative for gasoline

You haven't seen blade runner?

Is that the one you were in as the half-mortal half-immortal vampire slayer? Or something else? Either way, nah.. haven't seen anything by that name. Don't watch a lot of movies. I sit enough at work.

OT:

Don't get pulled over in Buffalo, jsyk... we take speeding very, very seriously...

Untitledbrd.png

What does rye add to an IPA or a pale ale? Thinking I should try something like that this weekend. Probably be brewing Sunday.

I like rye. Generally there's a spiciness that everyone agrees on. Compliments aggressive hops that have a bit of spice/herbal thing going on like chinook and columbus IME.

Its a bit different flaked vs wheat flavorwise. If im really trying to do a rye-centered beer, I'll use both. Both of them provide mouthfeel, which is good for IPAs to work with the dryness youd usually shoot for. Just dont go over 30% or so unless you want to do a special step mash to avoid getting a nyquil-like mouthfeel

holy crap man, that's crazy. Wonder what happened there...maybe a bug in the fuses?

The 2nd set of chains was slightly longer than the original one. The extra length on the inside of the tire was clicking against something in the wheel well during this time as well. I'm pretty sure it was wearing against some sensor(s) in the wheel well that caused everything to go wonky, since the various errors included the ABS sensor and a faulty tire pressure sensor error.

Crazy day. Still glad we didn't leave earlier though, because the snow was so great on Sunday morning.

We ended up getting a hotel room on Sunday night tho rather than staying with the friends we were going to visit. She's pregnant and didn't want to stress her out with a late night arrival. Plus we were both pretty tired/hungry/angry after that drive and had no interest in dealing with other humans by that point.

Highway 50 is beautiful in the snow when you are not stuck during avalanche control (always fun making a snow family along the highway). Coworker went to Reno and said 80 was really bad both directions.

Yea, really gorgeous. Once we actually got past the chain control checkpoint, things actually started moving, but still slowly enough to enjoy the scenery.

Marks up early. One thing that sucks being sick, you need your rest but can't sleep. Atleast there is no rush to get home tomorrow.

Yup on the sleep. Passed out at 8:30 last night, got up finally at 8:30 this morning. Unfortunately, was up and down all night, probably slept 5 hours total. Grumble.

Kombucha, tea and water. Working, sort of, but still at home.

Watching pup just go to town on a pair of wife's shoes. Guess we'll need to move our shoe rack somewhere else. no real place to put it though.

Back