90 minute boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blasbek

Reaction score
I have heard 90 is better than a 60 minute boil. What are the benefits, and how would I adjust the timings of my hop additions? Would I boil the extract for 30 then start following the directions? I use NB extract kits. Thanks.

I can't think of a single benefit to a 90 minute boil for an extract batch. Not even one.

I don't often do a 90 minute boil even for an AG batch, although sometimes I do based on the grainbill (pilsner malt).

I'd do a 60 minute boil, adding at least half of the extract at the end of the boil (instead of all at it in the beginning), for any extract brew.

Yooper, why add half of the extract at the end? If that is better why do the instructions not recommend that? Thanks.

Yooper, why add half of the extract at the end? If that is better why do the instructions not recommend that? Thanks.

It reduces maillard reactions, resulting in a less "cooked extract", almost caramelized taste. It keeps the color lighter as well. Sometimes a light beer gets really dark when it's extract, just because of the lengthy boiling of the extract. Since extract has already been processed, it doesn't need a boil but maybe some pasteurizing at flame out temps is a good idea!

It's a relatively new (about 5-6 years?) thought, but it's widely accepted and practiced now. I think some of Northern Brewer's kits incorporate the late extract addition, and many others do as well.

Latest posts

Back