60 min boil... starting when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PGEduardo

Reaction score
Quick question: does the timer start when you turn the burner on or when vigorous boiling begins?

Let's say I turn off the burner to add extract (didn't do this last time, just added it real slow), then turn it back on to resume boil. There is a good 5-10 minute difference...

When a rolling boil is achieved. As far as boiling of hops you may be boiling for 30 minutes before you even start the 60 minute timer on the bittering hops. I'm not real familiar with extract brewing but its my understanding that some add the extract in the last 15 or 20 minutes or even later to avoid carmelization issues. Maybe someone else can weigh in on that. I would pause my timer on a 10 minute flame out before resuming the boil.

I add my 1st addition extract after steeping is done. I start the 60min when it hit 212 degrees.

start the clock after hot break, but add hops with respect to the end of boil. isomerization will continue even if the temperature drops a little while you add extract. during that time you won't be removing volatles as much as with a rolling boil, but not a big deal. keep your clock going.

Thanks for the replies.

The directions usually specify (after steeping) to bring it to a boil first, then turn off flame, add ME, then return to boil. I was trying to save time by adding my ME slowly and keeping the boil, but in the future I think I'll add 1/2 of the ME with the flame off, then start the timer at boiling, then add the rest of the ME along the way (haven't researched this method much.)

My next beer will be NB Smashing Pumpkin Ale, so I'll experiment with late extract addition then...

I steep my grains then add about 2lbs extract, stir then bring to a boil. Once boiling start adding hops. Then add the rest of my extract at flameout.

I also start my timer after hot break falls (i.e. that initial big foamy moment). This would be after the wort has been boiling for a few minutes.

I start the timer when it starts boiling after the initial addition of extract.

Back