55lb grain bag storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyto

Reaction score
It has been a long time since I have bought a 55lb bag of grain. Planning on keeping it in my basement until the weather cools a bit in Alabama. Should I put this bag in anything or will it be OK as is?
20190919_150500.jpg

It will be OK in that bag. I have a friend (who brews a lot more often than I do) who keeps all his grains in the original bag with no problems. I keep mine in airtight buckets - the same kind that I ferment in - as I don't brew nearly as often as I would like and it keeps the grain fresher.

It will be OK in that bag. I have a friend (who brews a lot more often than I do) who keeps all his grains in the original bag with no problems. I keep mine in airtight buckets - the same kind that I ferment in - as I don't brew nearly as often as I would like and it keeps the grain fresher.
Thanks, that is what I thought.

Btw, I got my buckets from a local food processing plant for 50 cents each. I'd bet Birmingham probably has someplace similar that would appreciate someone taking used buckets off their hands. Restaurants probably get a few ingredients in them too, on a smaller scale.

Usually these bags are stored in warehouses and such that are not climate-controlled. As long as your basement doesn't allow the bag to absorb a lot of moisture, you should be OK.

I store my grain in 5-gallon buckets topped by Gamma-Seal lids that screw on and make an airtight seal. Unfortunately, I can only get about 25# of grain in a bucket, which means a 55-pound sack can't be completely stored in two buckets.

What I should have done and didn't was buy some 6-gallon buckets. :)

Some people use Vittle Vaults, which are the same type of lid, just a different form factor.

Mine are 7 gallon buckets, so a bag fits in 2 buckets easily. I also have a couple buckets filled with smaller 5-10lb bags of misc grain.

....Some people use Vittle Vaults, which are the same type of lid, just a different form factor.

I use 60lb and 10lb Vittle Vaults. When I see sales, I load up on the grains I will need during the year. The 60lb easily holds a 55lb sack of grain. The Vittle Vaults are more expensive than the gamma sealed buckets for sure. But for me they work perfectly in my limited space that I share with a game room.

The grain will be fine in the bag, especially if your basement is air conditioned. But insects and mice will be well aware of its presence, even from outside your house. It's best to store it in some kind of sealed container so as to not tempt them too much.

I got my 5 gallon buckets at a local dairy for $1.50 each, with lid if you want it. I use the gamma lids. I also have different sized lock and lock style food containers for smaller amounts. The left over goes in one of them. I have stored my grain in my garage that gets well over 90 degrees with high humidity in the summer. No problems.

I have been debating about a better storage system, but I keep my grain in the sack. I just fold over the top and use a few large clips. I keep my grain in my finished lower level which is fairly cool and dry. I typically have one bag of American 2-Row and I pick up 10 lb bags of Pilsner or Pale Ale as needed.

If 2 5-gal buckets will hold 50#, that would work for me to keep the grain in the sack until the first use and then fill 2 buckets...hmmmm.

I have some plastic "cereal" containers that hold 3 or 4 lbs of grain and some different food storage containers that hold up to 1.5 lbs of grain.

A local shop of mine sells bulk grain into paper lunch bags. I have noticed that grain does not store well in those bags and after a few months the grain would get a tad stale/soft. I don't have this problem with another store that sells bulk grain into plastic bags.

Keep the grain in the sack until you open the sack. Once it is opened then you can transfer it to a good storage container. I personally use the 5 gallon homer buckets with gamma seal lids. Grain stays very fresh. @mongoose33 above mentioned 55 pounds will not fit into 2 5 gallon buckets...that is why I don't transfer until I open the sack and use some of the grain. Normally malts I buy by the sack are used at least 10-15 pounds in a recipe so no issue fitting the remainder of the sack into 2 buckets...

This motivated me to make a pit stop at Home Depot. I picked up a pair of 5 gal "food safe" buckets and the "easy snap on lids". That is only $6.21 per bucket & lid. If they work out I will grab a few more. They had the Gamma lids, but those things are pricey.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-5-gal-70mil-Food-Safe-Bucket-White-005GFSWH020/300197644
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-5-Gal-Reusable-Bucket-Lid-6GLDBLK30/202264045

I also took a look at some of their storage totes. They are not rated as food grade and there is a mix of plastic types between the clear bins and more rugged totes, but for $10 to $15 you can get some decent sized bins.

This motivated me to make a pit stop at Home Depot. I picked up a pair of 5 gal "food safe" buckets and the "easy snap on lids". That is only $6.21 per bucket & lid. If they work out I will grab a few more. They had the Gamma lids, but those things are pricey.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-5-gal-70mil-Food-Safe-Bucket-White-005GFSWH020/300197644
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Leaktite-5-Gal-Reusable-Bucket-Lid-6GLDBLK30/202264045

I also took a look at some of their storage totes. They are not rated as food grade and there is a mix of plastic types between the clear bins and more rugged totes, but for $10 to $15 you can get some decent sized bins.

Those gamma lids are the bomb. Worth every penny.

Those are what I use. Two buckets will hold 50 pounds of grain, but not 55 pounds, so you'll have a little left over in the sack; use that your first brew day. I tried a Gamma lid, and it split. I like the cheap black lids better.

I

Years ago there was a thread about buckets and "food grade". Someone contacted LeakTite who make the buckets that HD sells and asked about the orange buckets. The reply was that the HDPE plastic they are made from is food grade. The orange dye is not. So they would not say that the orange buckets are truly food grade. The white ones are supposed to be but cost more.

Those cheap 5 gallon Reusable Bucket lids do not have a seal in them. They will allow the grain to go stale given time, much shorter that with the Gamma type lid they sell that has seals. I have looked at the ones HD sells now. IMO, they are not as high quality as the Gamma Lids.

Get the Gamma Lids, they are well worth the extra couple dollars. If you have Amazon Prime, or can find free shipping, they are (or were) the same price as HD when I last checked. (a couple years ago).

Home Depot also sells orange lids that have a rubber seal. Not food grade, but IMHO it doesn't matter because the grain doesn't come in contact with the lid.

Recycle "2" is food grade but Home Depot doesn't want the liability to say it is.

Been fermenting in them for years. Not a single incident of a 3rd arm growing! [emoji16]

Back