3 weeks bottle, somethings wrong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IEpicDestiny

Reaction score
Hi,

My lager beer has been bottled at 24 degrees for 3 weeks now. The colour is quite dark. The taste is not that of commercial beer, it tastes I guess a little yeasty? or is green the word?

The head fizzed out quickly. I thought 3 weeks it was supposed to be good?

Keeping it in the fridge for a few weeks can help with that yeasty flavor, in my experience. If the head fizzed out it is probably poor head retention, not a lack of carbonation. Unfortunately, it's back to the drawing board for that problem. More carbonation can help because it forms more head as you drink, though I suppose

Keeping it in the fridge for a few weeks can help with that yeasty flavor, in my experience. If the head fizzed out it is probably poor head retention, not a lack of carbonation. Unfortunately, it's back to the drawing board for that problem. More carbonation can help because it forms more head as you drink, though I suppose
Should I put them all in the fridge now? or keep them in the warm dark place for longer do you think?

Four weeks couldn't hurt. You could put a few in the fridge for a week now though. Whats the ABV btw. I've found that lower abv beers carb quicker because the yeast is still hungry. If its a beast of a beer it might just need more time warm.

If it's a lager, lager it. That means storing it, preferably bulk (before bottling) at near freezing for several months. If you don't, your beer will taste green and won't be nearly as good as it can be.

Head retention also often improves with time. Give it two or three more weeks and the head will probably be much better. I have this phenomena with nearly all of my beers.

Back