2nd Brew - Dots on Carboy Wall?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robobrewer

Reaction score
Hey all - First post since I get paranoid about messing things up and it's only my 2nd brew

Just got into the hobby and dove headfirst in after using a 1 gallon kit for an IPA my gf got me for Christmas

2nd batch (5 gallons of hefeweizen) is fermenting (day 8) and just started to notice some white dots on the upper wall of the carboy on the portion where the headspace begins and close to the opening

View media item 70951View media item 70950View media item 70949View media item 70948
Probably seen 1000's of these but - I'm thinking it's a yeast raft since I pitched dry yeast after the brew / yeast that got carried up by CO2 during fermentation

Pics were best I could do and doesn't appear to have any fluff, tendrils or anything fuzzy growing - 3rd pic they're on the wall/ceiling portion, not on the actual beer's surface

Any help is appreciated and thanks in advance for helping a noob :)

Hi, welcome to HBT!

Any chance you sprinkled dry yeast directly into the fermenter?

Just looks like yeast, nothing to worry about.

Cheers!

Hi, welcome to HBT!

Any chance you sprinkled dry yeast directly into the fermenter?

Just looks like yeast, nothing to worry about.

Cheers!

Yeah it was dry yeast that I sprinkled in - figured that's what it was but freaked myself out a bit lol

Thanks!

Could definitely be the yeast. Could also be residual dried foam from krausen. Doesnt appear to be anything I'd worry about at this point. If you see white fluffy patches and bubbles floating on top of the beer, then you could be looking at infection. From the pictures, I wouldn't be worried.

Back