2nd batch much better than 1st

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danile666

Reaction score
Well my first batch didnt taste too good to me. Others loved it, but I am not brewing ti for them...that was the Irish stout recipe that I dropped half the grains on the ground:(

Anywho, for my second batch I wanted to do a Harp clone. ever since i went to ireland in 2004 I fell in love with harp...so I went to the page I had book marked for austin homebrews harp clone kit, and they got rid of it. I searched everywhere and couldnt find it...I even e-mailed them with no response as to the reason it was removed.

So I looked around online and could only find half assed recipes that used extract. So I decided to experiment a little (I am a fast learner). I combined some of the recipes that seemed to have it, but not quiet leaving some ingredients out in facor of others. I did make it using a steam beer yeast because I am not prpared for lagering, but I am not dissapointed at all.

It tastes very similar to harp just missing the snap which I swear has to be cloves...it just tastes so much like cloves to me. So I am very happy with it...I let it sit in the fermentor longer as suggested, about a month, and they have been in bottles for about 3 weeks now, and taste great, perfectly carbonated, and hold a great head...

Just in time for St Patricks day I get my home brewed rendition of my favorite drink!!!!!

I have an AG recipe from "Clonebrews" by Tess and Mark Szamatulski for Harp Lager.

9lb British 2-row lager malt
10 oz of 10L crystal malt
1.5 oz of German Hallertau Hersbrucker @ 3% AAU (bittering hop)
.5 oz of German Hallertau Hersbrucker (flavor hop)
.5 oz of Czech Saaz (flavor hop)
.25 oz of German Hallertau Hersbrucker (aroma hop)
.25 oz of Czech Saaz (aroma hop)
1 tsp of irish moss
Wyeast's 2206 Bavarian Lager Yeast

Boil wort for 90 with bittering hop.
add flavor hops and Irish moss w/15 minutes left to boil.
add aroma hops at 5 minutes.

Ferment at 47 - 52 degrees

bottle with 3/4 cup of corn sugar.

:tank:

+1 on record everything! I thought I could remember what I did from batch to batch, but 5gal of beer at a time has a way of washing certain memories away:tank:

yup I got beersmith when I was formulating the recipe, and I keep a printed copy as well...so no worries on record keeping. I even imputed the first batch which came a s a kit into it so I know the exact recipe I used.

lol @ the names :p

Back